WHo would you buy to replace Hughes, should he be sold?

Have to agree that cannot see us spending anything on a transfer fee if Hughes does go.

Most likely scenario is someone taken on a 'free' as part of the deal to move Hughes the other way (Byfield?) which will be seen by the club as a way of minimising the impact on the team/the finances/the fans reaction ("Hughes is a great player, but in [insert name here], we have another proven striker at this level that can help us win promotion").

Other than that its loanees.

Picking up a young striker from another club for £100k ala Porter would be nice, but we probably don't have the cash and anyone that possible fits that bill will be arguably too raw for a sustained promotion push and need time to bed in/have larger fluctuations in form.

Have to agree that cannot see us spending anything on a transfer fee if Hughes does go.

Most likely scenario is someone taken on a 'free' as part of the deal to move Hughes the other way (Byfield?) which will be seen by the club as a way of minimising the impact on the team/the finances/the fans reaction ("Hughes is a great player, but in [insert name here], we have another proven striker at this level that can help us win promotion").

Other than that its loanees.

Picking up a young striker from another club for £100k ala Porter would be nice, but we probably don't have the cash and anyone that possible fits that bill will be arguably too raw for a sustained promotion push and need time to bed in/have larger fluctuations in form.

all depends who hughes leaves us for...

if its a championship club fair enough

if it was say leeds......well i would be tempted to say yeah ok,but only if kandol comes here for rest of the season.....

We're not likely to spend that sort of money though, are we Dan? Even at that price, he wouldn't easily be replaced.

No, we're not Stevie,you a re quite right. It's why I added the caveat of "if we're serious about promotion" or whatever I actually said. IF he goes, we clearly need to replace him in some way, shape or form. It may well be that we end up going for a loanee or indeed bringing somebody in on a free and allocating 'some' of the £300k (or whatever) towards higher wages etc.

Either way I don't think we'll get anybody with even a quarter of the skill/ability Hughes has.

Everytime a thread like this comes up i always say i`d love to see Bishop here, he does look a class act.

trouble is with bury currently flying high and looking a good bet for going up....his price will be out of our reach.....

bury will be just like us,not wanting to lose a good player whilst going for promotion.....

i think we would of stood more chance if like every other season they were mid table going nowhere.

all depends who hughes leaves us for...

if its a championship club fair enough

if it was say leeds......well i would be tempted to say yeah ok,but only if kandol comes here for rest of the season.....

True - I hadn't considered that Hughes would leave for us for anything other than a Championship club.

No, we're not Stevie,you a re quite right. It's why I added the caveat of "if we're serious about promotion" or whatever I actually said. IF he goes, we clearly need to replace him in some way, shape or form. It may well be that we end up going for a loanee or indeed bringing somebody in on a free and allocating 'some' of the £300k (or whatever) towards higher wages etc.

Either way I don't think we'll get anybody with even a quarter of the skill/ability Hughes has.

Exactly. If we are serious about promotion, we won't sell him; it's as simple as that. If we do, I can't bring myself to believe we're in with a shout for promotion.

The Hughes situation is a one-off: a quality player, the like of which would never, under normal circumstances, be playing at this level, for less money than he'd otherwise command. And that's why we won't be able to replace him. Not even to mention the fact we won't spend the fee we get for him.

Exactly. If we are serious about promotion, we won't sell him; it's as simple as that. If we do, I can't bring myself to believe we're in with a shout for promotion.

The Hughes situation is a one-off: a quality player, the like of which would never, under normal circumstances, be playing at this level, for less money than he'd otherwise command. And that's why we won't be able to replace him. Not even to mention the fact we won't spend the fee we get for him.

I dont buy the no shout of promotion thing if any of our players go... I bet virtually all the teams at the top of this league will find themselves with vastly different starting 11's come march... its how they adapt to that that will decide on promotion.... even Leicester look like losing Fryatt, Scunny look like they will lose Hooper, Kandol back to leeds etc... everyone has issues...

As for the replacement fee.. I have to say, i think it will be far messier than deciding to spend £300k... its more likely that we will lose three or four of our players... leading to a whole mire of loan possibilities, and decisions to make on spending...

Think its far more likely we will see somewhere in the region of a million come in for our players in jan - any combination of Hughes, Eards, Tayls and Mental will see about that much, Priority i'd say then is to get a decent striker - a la Bishop, Dicko etc... for about what hughes is sold for... leaving the rest to top up on loan signings...

Think its going to be a complicated Jan... ah well... all interesting...

As I am so pissed off with the whole world of football at the minute, would anyone care to furnish me with appearances and goals stats for LH through his tenure so far at BP? Mainly because I can't be arsed looking myself.

Ta.

KtF,

Derek.

You lazy ginger sod!

Soccerbase reckons

Oldham 30-05-2007 Free

League 32 (4) 18

FA Cup 3 (0) 1

League Cup 1 (1) 0

Others (LDV) 1 (0) 0

So I'd make that 19 in 37 starts and 4 sub apps.

This seasons stats are 11 goals in 21 apps. Not a bad ratio.

You lazy ginger sod!

Soccerbase reckons

Oldham 30-05-2007 Free

League 32 (4) 18

FA Cup 3 (0) 1

League Cup 1 (1) 0

Others (LDV) 1 (0) 0

So I'd make that 19 in 37 starts and 4 sub apps.

This seasons stats are 11 goals in 21 apps. Not a bad ratio.

Not bad.

Someone recently got 24 in 38 starts and 9 sub appearances for us.

If he goes, he goes. We make chances, there'll be somebody.

*tosses grenade and runs*

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Are they Porter's stats, Chris?

Lol. Beckett.

Despite my personal feelings surrounding Hughes, I can't dismiss the fact he is an important member of the team and a vital source of goals and assists. However, I could more than cope with losing him if Taylor stays.

Those that say Hughes is the be all and end all to promotion, I say bollocks! He could just as easy go off the boil (Porter anyone?) for the best part of two months like he has already done this season or he could get crocked. (Wijnhard anyone?)So how about I throw this one in just to stoke the fire a little.... Hughes played his last full game at Gillingham in January, Davies vs Yeovil in mid-February, yet we still only missed out on the play-offs and many feel we played some our best football without Davies and Slaphead. We may have a better chance of promotion with Hughes, but he is certainly not our only chance. Oh and EIGHT bookings means he's two away from a two match ban, so that'd be six points we'd have to play for without him.

If he goes we'll be reet - sign another striker, we're in the third division there's plenty in the league below and conference it's about having the balls to gamble, we don't always need to be looking at the higher echelons of football, there are many gems out there. When Hughes goes does go it means people such as Lewi, Danny Whit, Deano and Taylor (if here) will need to carry on banging them in or in Lewi's case scoring more regularly and of course we still have O'Grady and Davies to come back. Personally I try and get Clarke in too it'd give us something different and justify the feckin' hoof ball we've been watching at home for weeks!

Edited by oafcprozac

Not bad.

Someone recently got 24 in 38 starts and 9 sub appearances for us.

If he goes, he goes. We make chances, there'll be somebody.

*tosses grenade and runs*

The differences being that Beckett took penalties, and that nobody else scored when he was on the pitch...

The differences being that Beckett took penalties, and that nobody else scored when he was on the pitch...

Still had to be scored. Not bad in half a season and a 6 week initial loan spell either.

I'm not suggesting we get him back! :wink:

Thing is, there are strikers out there who will score goals. We've had two in the past couple of years in Beckett and Porter. Davies hit 14 last season and if not for injury would have got more, regardless of the feeling on him this season.

Hughes is doing it this season. When he's gone, we move, we'll get someone else. We will still score goals, we'll still be up in the top half challenging.

I was trying to remember how that worked out. Didn't Ronald give responsibility for them to Beckett when he got on a run in the hope that it would keep him going?

Lidds was injured from the end of January, he had been first choice pen taker scoring 4 between August and January.

Beckett took over when Lidds season ended prematurely, scoring 4 penalties himself in March and April.