Lee Hughes Poll - Would you sell?

DeeDahRover

Hughes Sale  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sell Hughes if you were TTA?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes + Byfield

By giving him a contract, Hughes' part of the bargain is to score goals - he's done that. If the club wish to sell him for a handful of sixpence, you cannot blame them, nor he for going, who shouldn't be playing at this level anyway! We gave him his chance, he's took it, fair play to him

I wasn't trying to say that he owes it to us to stay, it was more a 'cross the fingers and hope' type comment. I wouldn't hold it against him or the owners if he was to leave, i'd obviously just prefer him to stay...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't really be a step up though would it, seeing as Donny are going to be back down here next season. Can't see him going there to be honest...

Looking at the table at the moment - Donnie are clearly in a relegation battle at the moment, but to say they are dead and buried and already relegated? Doesn't look like that to me - 2 good wins on the bounce so confidence building and only GD putting them in bottom 2. If we were Donnie fans we'd be feeling confident, thinking its taken a while to find our feet in a higher division but stand a good chance of staying there.

We'd also think that a player like Lee Hughes might well be a key factor in doing just that.

If we are honest and take our blue-tinted goggles off and look at the two situations - who would you say looks more likely to be in the Champiosnhsip next year? Donnie who are only GD out of a certain Championship position Vs Latics who are currently in a position that gives them a 1 in 3 chance, and a number of points off auto. Plus the phrase 'a bird in the hand' springs to mind.

Donnie offers AT LEAST 5 months of championship football. Even if they do go down, Hughes could prove he is still capable at that level in that time period and secure a move to another Championship club in the summer as a result.

Lets not get too blinkered by this. If Hughes goes to ANY championship club, fair enough I'll accept it. Harder to accept a move to another League One club.

Looking at the table at the moment - Donnie are clearly in a relegation battle at the moment, but to say they are dead and buried and already relegated? Doesn't look like that to me - 2 good wins on the bounce so confidence building and only GD putting them in bottom 2. If we were Donnie fans we'd be feeling confident, thinking its taken a while to find our feet in a higher division but stand a good chance of staying there.

We'd also think that a player like Lee Hughes might well be a key factor in doing just that.

If we are honest and take our blue-tinted goggles off and look at the two situations - who would you say looks more likely to be in the Champiosnhsip next year? Donnie who are only GD out of a certain Championship position Vs Latics who are currently in a position that gives them a 1 in 3 chance, and a number of points off auto. Plus the phrase 'a bird in the hand' springs to mind.

Donnie offers AT LEAST 5 months of championship football. Even if they do go down, Hughes could prove he is still capable at that level in that time period and secure a move to another Championship club in the summer as a result.

Lets not get too blinkered by this. If Hughes goes to ANY championship club, fair enough I'll accept it. Harder to accept a move to another League One club.

Carnt disagree with any of that 'scapegoat'. Spot on opinion.

We can't get bullied out of our best player again by Donny.

Bullied?

If a club coming in from a higher division, offerring a transfer fee for us and better wages/level of football for the player is bullying - then we can, and might well do.

Wellens left us for Donnie when we were in the same division and people posted comments along the lines of "cannot believe" he is leaving for them, they are no better than us. However - Wellens is now in the Championship. On a personal level I bet he isglad he made the move.

I dont see how Doncaster would be of interest to Hughes... I would of thought there would be much bigger, better and more stable clubs interested...

From my earlier post:

Looking at the table at the moment - Donnie are clearly in a relegation battle at the moment, but to say they are dead and buried and already relegated? Doesn't look like that to me - 2 good wins on the bounce so confidence building and only GD putting them in bottom 2. If we were Donnie fans we'd be feeling confident, thinking its taken a while to find our feet in a higher division but stand a good chance of staying there

He will want a 'bigger' club with more of a certain future in the Championship - but if not, then Donnie still represent a better situation than we do at this time.

Bullied?

If a club coming in from a higher division, offerring a transfer fee for us and better wages/level of football for the player is bullying - then we can, and might well do.

Wellens left us for Donnie when we were in the same division and people posted comments along the lines of "cannot believe" he is leaving for them, they are no better than us. However - Wellens is now in the Championship. On a personal level I bet he isglad he made the move.

the wellans situation was different,latics give lee a second chance when lets be honest no one would touch him with a barge poll.Fair enough you can't blame him for wanting to play at the highest level,better money etc,but at least sign with us till the end of the season and if we don't go up look for a move then.,the same clubs will still be interested in him,Without lee we don't stand a chance of going up

Edited by yarddogs

the wellans situation was different,latics give lee a second chance when lets be honest no one would touch him with a barge poll.Fair enough you can't blame him for wanting to play at the highest level,better money etc,but at least sign with us till the end of the season and if we don't go up look for a move then.,the same clubs will still be interested in him,Without lee we don't stand a chance of going up

Thing is for Lee is he is 32. In all likelihood he has a maximum of 2 years left at Championship level - so why give up 5 months of that on a gamble that he might get there with us, or another club will still want him when they only see him as a one season player? He might be seen as an OK signing now by some Championship clubs, but not by the time August comes round.

He has lost 3 yrs of his career already - so the time left will be precious. Yes, we gave him a chance (not sure that someone else wouldn't have done - read other posts that we beat other clubs to his signature) but for that he will have repayed us with 21+ goals at 1 in 2 approx and potentially a £300-400k fee. Not exaclty a nil return for the chance IMO.

Don't get me wrong - I want him to stay, and we will be effected IF he leaves (not sure I'd give up totally without him - but it will be harder). However I also see tyhe workd from his viewpoint - and I will not blame him for going to ANY champioship club and would say thanks for the goals, the laughs and the memories.

From my earlier post:

Looking at the table at the moment - Donnie are clearly in a relegation battle at the moment, but to say they are dead and buried and already relegated? Doesn't look like that to me - 2 good wins on the bounce so confidence building and only GD putting them in bottom 2. If we were Donnie fans we'd be feeling confident, thinking its taken a while to find our feet in a higher division but stand a good chance of staying there

He will want a 'bigger' club with more of a certain future in the Championship - but if not, then Donnie still represent a better situation than we do at this time.

I disagree...

I think Donny have a good chance of going down with or without Hughes help....

I reckon is he does go it wont be there....

I disagree...

I think Donny have a good chance of going down with or without Hughes help....

I reckon is he does go it wont be there....

You're right that there are more potential dimensions to this.

If Donny are offering a bigger wedge than Latics and there's no other bidder, he will go to Doncaster.

If the deal is the same, he won't go. Why take 5 months in the Championship followed by relegation?

So it could well be Latics v AN Other FC for his services.

I am not sure I agree with these type of comments any more. Most new ground are a little identikit at times but still considerably better in terms of facilities etc etc than most old grounds that have had little / no investment (BP for one).

I really didn't like the Keepmoat when I went for the Cup replay last year, it's not a patch on Belle Vue.

However nice it is to watch Emmerdale on the concourse level before the game, it's just not football.

:idea: Boing Boing !!!! Baggies are missing firepower up front for the rest of the season looks likely they'll be in the Championship next year and the big fella can go back home. Looks like a win-win situation. Hughesy goes home West Brom get a striker who is potentially risky at firing goals this season but a shoe in for 15-20 next season for nigh on b#gger all. Watch this space Hughsey's going home !!!!! :idea: Who knows stranger things have happened.

Seems they have set their stall out then.

"Well we want him but we haven't really got 400k to be throwing about. How's about 250k/300k".

Comes down to how much we are prepared to lose now. 400k and he will go due to the buy out clause. Any lower and it is up to us. If they start offering low six figure amounts, tell them where to stick it and risk losing him on a free in the summer.

Relucant to pay it. Stop talking then.

Seems they have set their stall out then.

"Well we want him but we haven't really got 400k to be throwing about. How's about 250k/300k".

Comes down to how much we are prepared to lose now. 400k and he will go due to the buy out clause. Any lower and it is up to us. If they start offering low six figure amounts, tell them where to stick it and risk losing him on a free in the summer.

Relucant to pay it. Stop talking then.

400k or no deal... If he goes for under 400k I wouldnt be happy...

I am hoping that the fact the Hughesy has stated on several ocassions that he is really happy with us will mean he will stay. At worst he has secured a much better contract and he is playing somewhere he knows he is happy and with the possibilty of championship football next season. Perhaps his new contract should have a clause stating he can go at the end of the season if we do not go up with the same buy out clause in it. Then Hughesy has lost nothing.

I am hoping that the fact the Hughesy has stated on several ocassions that he is really happy with us will mean he will stay. At worst he has secured a much better contract and he is playing somewhere he knows he is happy and with the possibilty of championship football next season. Perhaps his new contract should have a clause stating he can go at the end of the season if we do not go up with the same buy out clause in it. Then Hughesy has lost nothing.

agreed we can offer him a deal with other clauses to suit him....

the 400k thing is only the trigger,if a club makes that sum they can talk to him,there is no saying he would go,he may not like the terms or other things...

if one club sees another offer then that could trigger a bid war,his price goes up and the owners are quids in....however a suitable replacement would be needed so that would negate the money...

offer him a 2 year deal,and if we dont go up he can go at the end of season for a nominal fee..it would be worth it if he carrys on scoring at this rate.

agreed we can offer him a deal with other clauses to suit him....

the 400k thing is only the trigger,if a club makes that sum they can talk to him,there is no saying he would go,he may not like the terms or other things...

if one club sees another offer then that could trigger a bid war,his price goes up and the owners are quids in....however a suitable replacement would be needed so that would negate the money...

offer him a 2 year deal,and if we dont go up he can go at the end of season for a nominal fee..it would be worth it if he carrys on scoring at this rate.

Don't think a bidding war will come in to it...The 400K clause will mean just that and whoever offers him the best contract / terms will probably secure his signature.

I think at the end of the day it will be solely Hughesy's choice and the size of the fee will be irrelevant to him!

I just hope that if he does go it won't be for a penny less than 400K.

According to our official site.

Doncaster Rovers boss Sean O'Driscoll today confirmed that the Club have made an approach to bring Oldham Athletic striker Lee Hughes to the Keepmoat Stadium in January.

Following Rovers' 2-1 win over fourth-placed Burnley on Sunday, Sean confirmed in the post-match press conference that he made contact with Latics' boss John Sheridan about the possibility of bringing former West Brom striker Hughes to Doncaster, with the player having a buy-out clause in his contract at Boundary Park.

Why can't we have a transfer window without trying to sign one of your players?

If he goes to you and he remains fit, as long as you can give him the service, he will keep you up.

If he goes to you and he remains fit, as long as you can give him the service, he will keep you up.

when he does go I hope he has the decency not to string us along, by this I mean he signs the deal with Donny at 12.01am on the 1st of jan. That way we can move on and identify and move for any possible replacements for him and Taylor.