Lee Hughes Poll - Would you sell?

DeeDahRover

Hughes Sale  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sell Hughes if you were TTA?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes + Byfield

Depends.

Hughes turns round to the club after reflection and says he doesn't want to take the offer we have made and therefore will start talking to other clubs in Januray with a view to move on in the summer.

During the January transfer window nobody comes in an offers £400k. But we get a few clubs offering £250-300k and they are offerring persoanl terms that Lee will accept.

At this point TTA have 2 options:

1) Don't sell, and keep Lee here for the rest of this season knowing he is off in the Summer for free.

2) Sell and get £250-300k in now.

For me, if you are using your business head instead of your football supporting heart, then Option 2 is a better long term view. £250-300k ensures further financial security for the club which is a long-term benefit. Option 1 is a short-term gamble on Hughes scoring the goals that might get us promoted.

As a fan I'd want option 1, but to say that options 2 is TTA having no long-term future is wrong. Ensuring that the club gets closer and closer to being able to be self-sufficent (and that may well be based upon a business model of selling one or 2 good players every now again) is the best thing TTA can do for the long-term.

Luckily I never said that....I saying it will begin to worry me...only the TTA know there intentions...

I will try to clear up my point... This club WILL die unless it gets out of this division soon... For two reasons:

1, The stadium development is now a LONG way away and there isnt enough money coming in...

2, The crowds have been slipping for a while. The club is stagnant and not much is happening. Fans will continue to slip away... I have stopped enjoyed going if I am honest.

We need to throw everything into escaping this league. Hughes is a fantastic shot at doing that, something which I do believe the 3TAs understand. If they did sell him for less than the clause it would signal to me that my understanding of them is wrong and they are more likely looking to minimise there loss and looking for a exit strategy at worse or at best, they think we can achieve promotion via the same methods which have failed us for the last ten years.

It would worry me....

Edited by oafc0000

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byfield would be a decent addition, but why don't we sound out one of their big lumps in McCammon or Jason Price as part of the deal. Time to be cute Shez, give uncle Joe a ring he'll teach you a thing or two on how to get the best deal. We have a commodity Donny want, rumours are abound that they can't stump up the price we're asking, we hold all the cards and should turn the situation to our advantage. Hughes going should not be the end of our challenge IF we are are clever enough.

He'd have to be really cute to get Donny to let us have McCammon in part exchange seeing as he left there for Gillingham in the summer. I realise you don't have much time for Sheridan but at least try to stick to criticsms to things that he has a chance of actually carrying out.

If you wanted two players you could probably get that too. I'll be surprised if we don't get rid of 3 strikers this January in Byfield, Taylor and Price. None of them have done anything this season for us and aren't up to it in the Championship.

Byfield only signed for us in the summer on a 2 year deal I think so has 18 months to go yet.

If you wanted two players you could probably get that too. I'll be surprised if we don't get rid of 3 strikers this January in Byfield, Taylor and Price. None of them have done anything this season for us and aren't up to it in the Championship.

Byfield only signed for us in the summer on a 2 year deal I think so has 18 months to go yet.

How many games has Byfield played for Rovers? Was he a free?

How many games has Byfield played for Rovers? Was he a free?

Didn't Byfield sign for Doncaster on a free?

If so, why would we pay a fee for a player who did not score from New Years day to Boxing Day? Yes he might have been top scorer at Bristol City in a higher division, but why did City let him go then. Doncaster and their fans say he hasn't fitted in there, so how can a such a player require a fee?

In my view, if Hughes does go to Doncaster and Byfield comes our way, then it should be on the basis of Rovers paying the amount stated in the "alleged" buyout clause and Byfield coming to us on a free. After all, we are not desparate to sell Hughes at this point and Byfield is obviously not good enough for Rovers who will surely be glad to get him off their wage bill.

Cheers,

Harry

Lambert could be going to the premiership for a million so we can rule him out but Tyson is another matter.

Acording to reports they could be prepared to let him go and he would be a great signing for us...having said that Calderwood has just been sacked so it could be on hold until a new manager is appointed.

If they decide to let him go could a swap for Lee Hughes be on the cards?

They need goals to keep them up and Hughes could be the man....The only downside to the deal would be Tyson's fitness record....he spends a lot of time on the treatment table!!!!

Hughes has been injured a lot as well. I think if Hughes rejects the contract offer then get rid of him in January but if he doesn't then keep him.

I think some people need to remember that we got Hughes for nothing. So if it is a gamble keeping him, then its a free bet...

I was under the impression that business decisions were made on the basis of relevant future cash flow, but am prepared to accept that this may no longer be taught as standard in modern day Business Studies.

I think it would take a lot for hughes to move. He has recently bought a house in diggle he has a new girlfriend and really enjoys the easy going social scene in the area and seems genuinely pleased how people have taken to him, Doncaster is a real backwater miles from anywhere and I would imagine something of a goldfish bowl where everyone knows each other - not particularly easy for someone with his history.

Also you have to remember that cartax may have a say in the matter.

I think it would take a lot for hughes to move. He has recently bought a house in diggle he has a new girlfriend and really enjoys the easy going social scene in the area and seems genuinely pleased how people have taken to him, Doncaster is a real backwater miles from anywhere and I would imagine something of a goldfish bowl where everyone knows each other - not particularly easy for someone with his history.

Also you have to remember that cartax may have a say in the matter.

Quite a few of our squad and staff live in Yorkshire and travel to Oldham, I doubt Hughes will have much problem being chauffeur driven to training every day from his Diggle home.

Doncaster is a real backwater miles from anywhere and I would imagine something of a goldfish bowl where everyone knows each other - not particularly easy for someone with his history.

Erm, I can understand the footballing reasons etc he wouldn't want to leave, but this statement's a bit erm wrong. You can even be in London in 90 minutes from here so I'd hardly say middle of nowhere.

I don't think he'll sign for us if I am truely honest, someone else will probably step in. Equally I don't like the idea of paying £400,000 for him. Potential banana skin that at his age and we'd been in a situation like that before.

I don't think he'll sign for us if I am truely honest, someone else will probably step in. Equally I don't like the idea of paying £400,000 for him. Potential banana skin that at his age and we'd been in a situation like that before.

I think you're probbaly right there. And I'm kind of hoping this is why we'll end up keeping hold of him ... 400k is too much for most clubs to stomach, but there's no way we'll take much less.

Erm, I can understand the footballing reasons etc he wouldn't want to leave, but this statement's a bit erm wrong. You can even be in London in 90 minutes from here so I'd hardly say middle of nowhere.

I'm not sure if 400k for a guaranteed 10 goals towards your fight for relegation could be classed as a 'potential banana skin' - but i think you're right about him not going there!

Huddersfield fans getting excited on their site (DATM). Think that Hughes has been seen in Uddersfield and that they might sign him!!

The same messageboard was convinced that Shearer was going to be manager........

I think it would have been the height of shearers career being manager of them. As for Hughes not too far away. A worse chance of promotion than the club he is at. You couldn't make it up. :unsure:

Edited by spadam

Guest sheridans_world

One thing I did like in Corney's message was

yes we need to balance the books, but we have to strike the right balance.

Could read a bit into that about him not wanting to sell?