Hughes Vs Windass

Fair point, thinking back over the season. He makes them LOOK like simple tap ins. The point being, a significant part of his game is being in the right place, in space. Another significant part is getting a good shot on target (sounds obvious but needs quality to keep that calm).

Edited by garcon

ha ha ha ha ha lovin it ll lovin it..just like the good old day's on jk latics..you still darn croyden ll

Nah - still work down there but moved further into London, round Balham/Clapham way these days. Full of yummy mummies rather than 14 year old girls pushing 7 prams :)

Hughes the footballer is as good a goalscorer as we are ever going to get at this level.

Tap ins? Not really. Garcon makes the point that he simply gets himself in to the right place at the right time.

I'd say the two goals against Walsall (6 yard line finishes) were two really difficult chances from close range tucked away brilliantly. They epitomise what he's all about.

Windass/Hughes to take us in to the Championship?

Yes please.

You know full well I don't need shandies for that. I know you for what you are whether I am sober or drunk. All I am doing here is pointing out that yet again you are pursuing a hate campaign against someone you would be supporting if you didn't need to stand out from the crowd to raise some sort of personal profile for yourself once in a while. It was Taylor, but even you couldn't maintain that one once it became obvious to all but the most blinkered how good he is, so you have reverted to Hughes. It will be someone else when he has gone, and someone else after that.

Actually you don't know me at all other than by hearsay.

Believe me, it is no hate campaign against any individual - admittedly I do have a grievance against the morality of signing Hghes but this is a football based post about who in my mind would be the better of the two for the club on a messageboard designed to express opinions and hopes for the club.

I am fully within my right to express my opinion on those hopes and if I think that an individual and/or individuals are not up to the job then surely I am within my right to post those views without having sniping comments fom you at any rare opportunity that you deem to see fit to read my posts?

Derek.

Nah - still work down there but moved further into London, round Balham/Clapham way these days. Full of yummy mummies rather than 14 year old girls pushing 7 prams :)

ha ha ha will meet up some time for a few beers..isn't this board intense mr ll what's with the giraffes..we won three nil ..can we change this thread to a light hearted who has the funniest joke thread..

Actually you don't know me at all other than by hearsay.

Believe me, it is no hate campaign against any individual - admittedly I do have a grievance against the morality of signing Hghes but this is a football based post about who in my mind would be the better of the two for the club on a messageboard designed to express opinions and hopes for the club.

I am fully within my right to express my opinion on those hopes and if I think that an individual and/or individuals are not up to the job then surely I am within my right to post those views without having sniping comments fom you at any rare opportunity that you deem to see fit to read my posts?

Derek.

:banana2: :banana2: :banana3: :banana3:

ha ha ha will meet up some time for a few beers..isn't this board intense mr ll what's with the giraffes..we won three nil ..can we change this thread to a light hearted who has the funniest joke thread..

Aye - with this PM facility it's much easier than JKL to sort that sort of thing. Give me a shout when you are down here!

IMO its stupid to compare the two. Completely different players, who both offer a lot to our team. We are lucky to have them. The fact that Davies, another top player for this level can't get in the side shows their quality. Enjoy the fact we have these guys up front.

I do agree though that Hughes should sign or we should get rid and take the money. I think he owes us one to be honest for getting his career back on track, we as a club have taken a lot of :censored: taking him on. Does anyone else think if we sell him we will be in the media bad books again for cashing in on someone with his past or do you think it has all blown over now?

I do agree though that Hughes should sign or we should get rid and take the money. I think he owes us one to be honest for getting his career back on track, we as a club have taken a lot of :censored: taking him on. Does anyone else think if we sell him we will be in the media bad books again for cashing in on someone with his past or do you think it has all blown over now?

The flak is over. He'll get a couple of boos at grounds he's not played at before (post jail) if he goes to the Championship, but he's had that at lots before. It's not going to be worse than Millwall.

As for repaying us, he's scored and created a load of goals. Job done, innit?

I see Hughes and Windass as very different players. Windass is a quality footballer sitting in that space behind the front man bringing others into the play - a facet of his game I'll freely admit I knew nothing about and a true joy to behold. When a few of the other players tune into his wavelength he'll be even more effective.

Hughes, on the other hand, is an out and out forward. His positioning and use of space is better than any striker I've seen in an Oldham shirt for a very VERY long time. It is no coincidence that most of his goals are simple tap ins, or indeed that most times it's him there to take the chance. Definitely Championship standard and we're lucky to have him.

So, not a case of Hughes Vs Windass, but Hughes PLUS Windass for me.

Agreed...

Derek dosent seem happy unless he is sticking it to someone....

Windass and Hughes worked brilliantly today.... We really need both if we want to progress...

Why does it have to be one or the other? They're a partnership...this isn't like the Lomax/Eards issue, where one should play and the other shouldn't...we have two quality, quality strikers...just because one contributes more than the other in a certain area doesn't mean that they can't both play

Hughes is a better finisher, Windass is probably a better link up player. Both can both finish and link up. Sounds like a pretty darn good partnership to me.

I agree. They both have different qualities that make their partnership a good one. Windass's link up play and Hughes's finishing could well fire us into the Championship.

In light of the 'Hughes is off' type of threads of late I am going to put my own take on the situation.

Today was my first chance of seeing the 'lardy dirty bastard that everyone hates but would love in their team' playing in our sacred blue.

I can't believe how much I actually enjoyed watching him play compared to the frustration I garner from watching the head down approach of Lee Hughes.

Windass is an infintesimally better footballer than Hughes purely because he adheres to the basics. He is willing to lift his head up and play others that are in better positons into goalscoring opportunities. He sacrifices his own self glory and adulation for the good of the collective.

Of course, whilst we were having our 15 minutes of running riot in the first half he should have scored, Hughes is a head down within 20 yards player and :censored: everyone else.

For me Hughes can go, for nothing if it be that he doesn't want to sign his contract. If he wanted top stay the ink would have been dried already.

Give me a team player every day, some of his passing was sublime.

In my opinion TTA would be well advised to stop chasing around after LH and turn their sights upon a better footballer in Windass.

His up front play today was quality and long may it continue.

Derek.

just got in from a night out , read your post and thats it on rhis thread but spot on. he is class.

but him and hughes = promotion

one without the other = ?

Forgive me to sticking to the football side of the discussion, but Hughes + Windass is the best front two we've had in years. They compliment each other. The problem here is that the provocative statement made by the founder of this thread has reeled some people in, big style! The clue is in his signature - don't get drawn in!

More importantly we shouldn't get carried away with yesterday, just like we shouldn't have over re-acted last week. I'm reminded of a famous poem - here's an extract:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;

If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;

I think both are class and are very different types of players the only negative thing you can throw at the partnership is a lack of pace which is why yesterday after Taylor had destroyed their centre halves in a foot race I would have liked Shez to bring mental on straight away to see how he linked with Windass.

At the end of the day please remember over the last few seasons we have had players like Luigi Glombard and Maheto Malonga spearheading our attack, now we have Hughes, Windass, Davis and Alessandra times are good!!!

Forgive me to sticking to the football side of the discussion, but Hughes + Windass is the best front two we've had in years. They compliment each other. The problem here is that the provocative statement made by the founder of this thread has reeled some people in, big style! The clue is in his signature - don't get drawn in!

More importantly we shouldn't get carried away with yesterday, just like we shouldn't have over re-acted last week. I'm reminded of a famous poem - here's an extract:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;

If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;

I think as soon as we saw the name of the original poster we knew exactly what to expect! :lol:

However, I'm glad the response on this thread has been undoubtedly that we have the best strikeforce in years, to say they are comparable players is pretty ridiculous, Windass wouldt have been half the threat he has been for years without a series of natural finishers next to him, and Hughesy wouldnt have scored so many goals if he hadnt had someone to put them on a plate for him.... the comment about scoring from wherever are pointless, the fact is he is a goalscorer, and is in the right place for whatever balls are played through to him.... something which has been sadly lacking for the past 18 months he has spent at this club.

Now. Davies would also be a great option with windass. Something which we may well see quite a lot in the near future, for whatever reason. Unfortunately for Mental, if he even had one tenth of the footballing brain and natural finishing ability of hughes he would be in the team ahead of him, and wouldnt be loaned out, and Sheridan wouldnt have to bring in journeymen as he doubt he can cut it... he has the pace to destroy teams... lets hope windass helps him to develop the rest...

The one constant i will agree with however, is that Windass is the constant. Bit Windass and Hughes will get us promoted.

Edited by BigfinLatic

What was the question again?

Oh yeah...

Windass - better footballer

Hughes - better goalscorer

And over the years the latter is exactly what we've been missing and the hardest thing to replace in a team. We've got a natural here. But...

Together - lethal

Who knows though? Windass has scored goal after goal wherever he's gone and perhaps he's playing in a more withdrawn role due to Hughes being here. If Hughes wasn't here then I'm sure Windass would get in the goals more.

But for the time being they're both here and when on blob no team will get near them. But chill everyone, it was only last week after the mauling at Hereford they both got flack. Now they're the best partnership ever.

E4e

OAPFC

What was the question again?

Oh yeah...

Windass - better footballer

Hughes - better goalscorer

And over the years the latter is exactly what we've been missing and the hardest thing to replace in a team. We've got a natural here. But...

Together - lethal

Who knows though? Windass has scored goal after goal wherever he's gone and perhaps he's playing in a more withdrawn role due to Hughes being here. If Hughes wasn't here then I'm sure Windass would get in the goals more.

But for the time being they're both here and when on blob no team will get near them. But chill everyone, it was only last week after the mauling at Hereford they both got flack. Now they're the best partnership ever.

E4e

OAPFC

Agree with that.

Derek has issues that are not football related with Hughes. Opinions he is entitled to - It is his right etc etc etc.

However, he has raised a purely football topic (again as is his right). I just happen to look at it in a slightly different light.

I see Hughes and Windass as 2 players with superb potential to complement each other. However I do not think that you can compare them like for like. If Hughes was out injured/suspended then Windass could not/would not do a similar job and vice versa. Derek is correct that Windass is the more complete footballer, whilst Hughes is the out and out goalscorer. Hughes knows what runs to make and he knows where the back of the net is. BUT, he is not the team player that Windass is. Hughes will put on the blinkers with the slightest sniff of a goal and a chance for personal glory and that is not necessarily wrong. However, Windass will weigh up who has the best potential for making that sniff a reality.

I am coming round to the thinking that if LH goes then so be it. We now have the firepower as a "team" to still take us up with goals shared out and Davies to come back in. His record last season in less than 3/4 of the season says to me that he can replace Hughes's goals.

Will LH go or stay well my well placed :sauce: leads me to think that LH will not move this window. I'm not sure though that he will sign a new contract without a clause allowing him to leave at the end of the season if we don't get promoted.

Turning to Taylor, Derek has always had issues with the ginger prince, but they are football related. I believe that his opinion in relation to Tayls is crap :wink:

Cheers,

Harry