Killkenny to Donny

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a discussion forum.

Do feel free not to read those posts that offend you.

I wasn't offended, more baffled by you. For someone who complains that the club aren't doing anything so much, you would think you at least had some ideas (I mean anything, throw us a frickin bone here) of your own for what they should be doing. With that post all of your moaning and groaning at the club has become somewhat of a farce.

Yes you can, this is a different era. You're trying to laden the club and TTA with the guilt of previous mistakes. It is absolutely ridiculous!

I haven't criticised TTA even once.

Maybe you inhabit a parallel universe where having to overcome the mess left by previous regimes doesn't hamper progress.

I wasn't offended, more baffled by you. For someone who complains that the club aren't doing anything so much, you would think you at least had some ideas (I mean anything, throw us a frickin bone here) of your own for what they should be doing. With that post all of your moaning and groaning at the club has become somewhat of a farce.

Maybe it's all a farce. Cameron and Clegg are moaning at Brown, while Brown moans back-but none of 'em seem to have a clue what to do about the economic meltdown we're in.

I haven't criticised TTA even once.

Maybe you inhabit a parallel universe where having to overcome the mess left by previous regimes doesn't hamper progress.

Maybe you inhibit a parallel universe where you actually make sense. Logical thought out of you = blood out of a stone. I give up, anyone else care to give it a try?

There is no 'nearness' to promotion. You're either promoted or you're not.

I already answered your obsession with black and white where it suits you're point. By that admission still being here doesn't make us further away does it? That's all i've got for you i'm afraid.

Logic, you're doing it wrong.

Maybe you inhibit a parallel universe where you actually make sense. Logical thought out of you = blood out of a stone. I give up, anyone else care to give it a try?

I blame Sav.

Look what you've done mate! Look at the bloody mess you've caused...

:grin:

How are we letting it ebb away? Hey-by losing too many games and not winning against teams like Swindon who are there for the taking by any serious promotion candidates.

So your solution is for the team to play better. Fair enough, but why the need to wrap it up in a load of pseudo-intellectual balls? A midfielder who can't pass water is the same, whether or not a team down the road have a shinier stadium than you or if the Chairman 12 years ago was a !!!!

By that admission still being here doesn't make us further away does it?

Yes it does. Because, as we know, without some success to show, the wider public of the town treats the club with supreme indifference, while elements of the hardcore fan base get disillusioned and drift away. Falling or stagnant attendances mean that we have difficulty in matching the budgets of massive clubs like Peterborough, MK Dons and Doncaster. Which means that we tread water. Which means that the town treats the club with indifference and elements of the fanbase drift away in disillusion. Eventually, club owners cut their losses... and then the brown stuff hits the fan(s).

So your solution is for the team to play better. Fair enough, but why the need to wrap it up in a load of pseudo-intellectual balls? A midfielder who can't pass water is the same, whether or not a team down the road have a shinier stadium than you or if the Chairman 12 years ago was a !!!!.

What solution?

What's pseudo intellectual about it? Have I been quoting Sartre or Wittgenstein?

What solution?

What's pseudo intellectual about it? Have I been quoting Sartre or Wittgenstein?

You keep referring it all back to the global economic situation and some overwhelming psychological grip that belonging in the 3rd division has over Oldham people, when all you are really saying is that you'd like us to play a bit better. It's not that I object to you saying that, but you really aren't any different to the other people who get down after a defeat, you really aren't...

You keep referring it all back to the global economic situation and some overwhelming psychological grip that belonging in the 3rd division has over Oldham people, when all you are really saying is that you'd like us to play a bit better. It's not that I object to you saying that, but you really aren't any different to the other people who get down after a defeat, you really aren't...

Where have I tried to claim that I am different than anybody else? There are plenty on these boards who can put their case eloquently.

In future, if it pleases you, I'll stick to 'that were fookin' :censored:e.'

I blame Sav.

Look what you've done mate! Look at the bloody mess you've caused...

:grin:

Just relaying what i heard :grin: ........

It's £30 for a ticket to watch Amir Khan???????,We could get a better card than that on here

Where have I tried to claim that I am different than anybody else? There are plenty on these boards who can put their case eloquently.

In future, if it pleases you, I'll stick to 'that were fookin' :censored:e.'

I didn't say that you claimed to be different, but the manner of your posts suggests to me that you believe you are seeing some bigger picture that everyone else is missing. Hence my attempts to break this down to share the Truth, and my disappointment at discovering that in fact you'd rather just that we'd played a bit better on Saturday and that we'd built a new ground in 1992. If you put it like that though, it doesn't bear the same repetition IMO. Of course you are free to voice your opinion however you choose.

I didn't say that you claimed to be different, but the manner of your posts suggests to me that you believe you are seeing some bigger picture that everyone else is missing. Hence my attempts to break this down to share the Truth, and my disappointment at discovering that in fact you'd rather just that we'd played a bit better on Saturday and that we'd built a new ground in 1992. If you put it like that though, it doesn't bear the same repetition IMO. Of course you are free to voice your opinion however you choose.

I don't believe I'm seeing a bigger picture than others but, again, it you insist, I'll strive to make my posts as much like those of other posters of your choosing as possible. Perhaps we could regularly nominate one poster to articulate the general will of the North Korean people, er, I mean OWTB collective and just sit back and bask in his happy clapping wisdom.

Incidentally, do you see no connection between the global economic crisis and the club's plight regarding the stadium redevelopment and so on?

Interesting statement.

What changes do you feel have been driven by messages on this forum?

I wouldn't like to be so specific. I just feel that to claim OWTB doesn't influence the club, when we can see how close the club keeps OWTB, is foolhardy.

So if the club is, as you claim, influenced by this board, what reaction is 'the club' going to give a bit of flippancy about the relatively 'massive' stature of the mighty Doncaster Rovers?

I don't know, I was merely changing the subject. Would you care to do the same?

I wouldn't like to be so specific. I just feel that to claim OWTB doesn't influence the club, when we can see how close the club keeps OWTB, is foolhardy.

Quite. Furthermore, it's a well-known fact that multi-millionaire businessmen regularly base their decisions on the conflicting opinions of a bunch of no-marks who gather on internet forums.

In the late 1960's, we were relegated to division 4, due to "inept attitude" of the then board of directors employing a succession of "wrong" managers and buying the wrong players, casuing loses etc. Crowds dwindled down to 4,000 or so and cutbacks had to be made, culminating in the appointment of player Jimmy Frizell as a "cost effective" manager. Frizzell, achieved 2 promotions in 4 seasons to division 2 of the pyramid with crowds increasing, regularly seeing over 10,000 in Boundary Park.

However the same board proceeded to oversee mistakes by sticking with the manager as they strived to stay established in division 2 and push for Division 1 (now the premiership) As crowds dwindled, the board chose to stick with the manager and replaced coach Andy Lockhead with England coach Bill Taylor. Success started to follow and Athletic topped the league table. Events then took a turn for the worse, with the unfortunate death of Taylor and the subsequent decline of results and attandances, resulting in end of season crowds of 2,800 at Boundary Park.

The board relieved Frizzell of his duties that summer and took the "cheap" option of appointing the untried Joe Royle as manager. With no funds and the club's finances heading towards armageddon, a number of players were sold and Lees Brewery stepped in to provide funds to keep the club afloat.

The following years do not need noting as Royle flourished and made a name for himself.

What is the point in all this?

Well quite simple really. CJ is constantly on about the doom and gloom and the fact that the board did nothing whilst we were at the top of the tree. To a point he has/may have a point. Like the rest of us he does not really know what went on behind the scenes in those days and we never really will. Like most of todays postings on this board, it was all rumour, mate of a mate stuff etc etc. But despite all this, this post is there to show that this has happpened to us before in days gone by, probably even before CJ's time as well and we came through it and our turn in the cylce came around.

His belief is that it is up to the club to make it happen, but the truth is quite simply that when it has happened in the past it has been when we have had a little luck in appointing managers. Who would have thought that on the days of their appointments, Frizzell and Royle would have been as successful as they were. Whilst Frizzell had success relatively quickly (the club was relatively stable financially), Royle took longer, due to the financial climate around the club at the time. He bought and sold players searching for the right blend. Some signings paid off, some didn't. Is that much different today with Shez?

The only thing that is as certain as night following day with our football club is the fact that any success we have is not sustainable as we do not have the fan base to achieve that sustainability, unless a Billionaire that we don't know of comes along. The last time we all thought that had happened we know what followed. I remember our fans singing "weve got loads of money" at Derby in the league cup and what happened after that is still fresh in the mind.

The truth is there is no masterplan. You need luck, luck and more luck. If you get lucky in appointing the right manager, you are in with a shout of success. Appointing a manager with a reputation is no guarantee of success nor is throwing a big budget at the disposal of the manager.

Cheers,

Harry.

P.S. My course of action is to hope that the club have got lucky in the appointment of JS as manager. :grin: