Killkenny to Donny

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite. Furthermore, it's a well-known fact that multi-millionaire businessmen regularly base their decisions on the conflicting opinions of a bunch of no-marks who gather on internet forums.

you mean these no-marks who happen to be the life blood of the club.........the fans.

Quite. Furthermore, it's a well-known fact that multi-millionaire businessmen regularly base their decisions on the conflicting opinions of a bunch of no-marks who gather on internet forums.

Do you class yourself in that category? Just asking considering that you have made over 1,000 posts..

Well quite simple really. CJ is constantly on about the doom and gloom and the fact that the board did nothing whilst we were at the top of the tree. To a point he has/may have a point. Like the rest of us he does not really know what went on behind the scenes in those days and we never really will. Like most of todays postings on this board, it was all rumour, mate of a mate stuff etc etc. But despite all this, this post is there to show that this has happpened to us before in days gone by, probably even before CJ's time as well and we came through it and our turn in the cylce came around.

His belief is that it is up to the club to make it happen, but the truth is quite simply that when it has happened in the past it has been when we have had a little luck in appointing managers. Who would have thought that on the days of their appointments, Frizzell and Royle would have been as successful as they were. Whilst Frizzell had success relatively quickly (the club was relatively stable financially), Royle took longer, due to the financial climate around the club at the time. He bought and sold players searching for the right blend. Some signings paid off, some didn't. Is that much different today with Shez?

The only thing that is as certain as night following day with our football club is the fact that any success we have is not sustainable as we do not have the fan base to achieve that sustainability, unless a Billionaire that we don't know of comes along. The last time we all thought that had happened we know what followed. I remember our fans singing "weve got loads of money" at Derby in the league cup and what happened after that is still fresh in the mind.

The truth is there is no masterplan. You need luck, luck and more luck. If you get lucky in appointing the right manager, you are in with a shout of success. Appointing a manager with a reputation is no guarantee of success nor is throwing a big budget at the disposal of the manager.

Cheers,

Harry.

P.S. My course of action is to hope that the club have got lucky in the appointment of JS as manager. :grin:

You are correct in that none of us know what went on behind the scenes, but really all we need to know is that the board and owners, for whatever reason, didn't try to seek the new investment that was obviously needed to keep us in the top flight. I'm not saying that they're evil, nor that they didn't, at times, make decisions that were good for the club. They were fans as well as owners and probably believed they had the best interests of the club at heart. However, the fact is that the club wasn't able to strengthen the squad enough to enable us to hold on to top flight status until the TV money kicked in. It might not have guaranteed anything, but would have probably meant that we wouldn't have reached the point where the club had to sell BP and almost cease to exist. The fact that SAFE discovered, as was well publicised at the time, that David Brierley and co. hadn't even considered putting the club up for sale despite having no money to invest tells you everything about the directionlessness they presided over, as well as the lack of imagination within the club at the time.

Other clubs that manage to achieve a thing or two manage to expand their fanbase. Why not Latics? We expanded ours considerably in the early nineties, and it was only the nature of the club's surrender in the mid-late 1990s that saw us not only lose most new fans but many former regulars too.

There may be no masterplans on offer, but when it comes to luck in football, you usually have to make your own. Contrast the fortunes of clubs that are known to have clearly defined plans to those that merely drift along.

I wasn't aware that Chris Moore was a billionaire, by the way.

Do you class yourself in that category? Just asking considering that you have made over 1,000 posts..

i think he just likes having the last word on things,calling everybody on here though is asking for a good hiding though isnt it,not that i advocate violence you understand.

You do make me smile. ( :) ) Furthermore, it's a well-known fact that multi-millionaire businessmen regularly pursue and consider customer feedback.

I wouldn't like to be so specific. I just feel that to claim OWTB doesn't influence the club, when we can see how close the club keeps OWTB, is foolhardy.

You're missing trick slightly Stitch. So far as I am aware, the Club doesn't influence OWTB policy. People who are on the Trust and also involved in the OWTB Management may, on the other hand, feel certain pressure.

You're missing trick slightly Stitch. So far as I am aware, the Club doesn't influence OWTB policy. People who are on the Trust and also involved in the OWTB Management may, on the other hand, feel certain pressure.

:lol:

What are you going on about?

:lol:

What are you going on about?

Erm... not you Matt, as you aren't linked to the Trust - but you will be aware of posts of mine being taken down, not because they broke any rules and regulations, but because they were creating questions which were difficult for some people to answer? It was around the last, "Ask Barry," session. I'm happy to go into detail if needed.

You are correct in that none of us know what went on behind the scenes, but really all we need to know is that the board and owners, for whatever reason, didn't try to seek the new investment that was obviously needed to keep us in the top flight. I'm not saying that they're evil, nor that they didn't, at times, make decisions that were good for the club. They were fans as well as owners and probably believed they had the best interests of the club at heart. However, the fact is that the club wasn't able to strengthen the squad enough to enable us to hold on to top flight status until the TV money kicked in. It might not have guaranteed anything, but would have probably meant that we wouldn't have reached the point where the club had to sell BP and almost cease to exist. The fact that SAFE discovered, as was well publicised at the time, that David Brierley and co. hadn't even considered putting the club up for sale despite having no money to invest tells you everything about the directionlessness they presided over, as well as the lack of imagination within the club at the time.

Other clubs that manage to achieve a thing or two manage to expand their fanbase. Why not Latics? We expanded ours considerably in the early nineties, and it was only the nature of the club's surrender in the mid-late 1990s that saw us not only lose most new fans but many former regulars too.

There may be no masterplans on offer, but when it comes to luck in football, you usually have to make your own. Contrast the fortunes of clubs that are known to have clearly defined plans to those that merely drift along.

I wasn't aware that Chris Moore was a billionaire, by the way.

I wasn't replying to your posts CJ. I gave up doing that a long time ago as you just repeat yourself time and again and it's got boring.

I was replying to other posters (who you have, surprise surprise, been drawn into 1 of your usual diatribes,) pointing out to them what I have assessed your beliefs to be over the time that you have been posting on here. At the same time pointing out to them that your critisisms of previous administrations of the club, while not necessarily unfounded, are not backed up with any hard fact/s.

Leeslover has constantly asked you for a course of action that you would propose and yet again you fail to come up with one. He, and most of the rest of us, know that you either won't or can't.

Your correct Chris M**re was not a billionaire. He acted like it at times though. However, he did claim to have a substantial number of millions, figures that were in the press. The point I made was that throwing money at a team does not guarantee success. There are several Championship clubs who will testify to that.

Anyway, don't bother replying to this post, looking to get me to bite back again, because I won't.

I bet you reply to this though, because you just can't resist.

Cheers,

Harry

However, I will reply to other posters. Possiblt. :wink:

:unsure: Apologies if I really am missing a trick, but I dont think the club do directly influence OWTB policy (although they must to a degree with it being 'official'). They keep it very close because it suits them for any any of a variety of reasons. That's up to them, and to me it is clear that the club is influenced by the board. An owner and a board member have posted openly and within a mods PM warning I was told that "I'd be surprised at how many players and staff read the board." Whether the influence is good, bad or negative I don't know, but common suggests there will be both pros and cons. I reckon Shez shoulders many of the cons.

Anyway, to suggest the board has no influence on the club is ridiculous.

..oh and please - no PM's or whatnot, I'm not in the slightest bit interested in the so-called "detail".

A little condescending Matt - I know you know the detail. I'm just still pissed off that Trust directors used their OWTB mod/admin powers to censor questions I wanted to raise to Barry Owen because Barry would have been extremely embarrassed at the explanation he would have had to give to TTA. And it doesn't make it any easier to swallow that I was only trying to get the truth out of motivations for a vote the Trust had taken just before the incident in question.