The Loan System

Getting beyond a joke. Can't blame Latics for trying to take advantage but the possibility of having more than half a team belonging to other club's makes a mockery of long term team building.

Team at Yeovil:

Fleming

Golbourne

Gregan

Hazell

Hines

Taylor

Maher

Allott

Smalley

Hughes

Windass

Don't let the stats get in the way of your ridiculous argument though.

Getting beyond a joke. Can't blame Latics for trying to take advantage but the possibility of having more than half a team belonging to other club's makes a mockery of long term team building.

I was surprised how many loanees Leicester have - and how many are from Prem clubs reserves...

Team at Yeovil:

Fleming

Golbourne

Gregan

Hazell

Hines

Taylor

Maher

Allott

Smalley

Hughes

Windass

In fairness, Dave_og mentions the possibility of playing with over half a team of loanees rather than referring to Saturday's game.

As we all know though, only 5 loanees can be named in a matchday squad anyway so it's a moot point.

Team at Yeovil:

Fleming

Golbourne

Gregan

Hazell

Hines

Taylor

Maher

Allott

Smalley

Hughes

Windass

I said "possibiity" - it appears to be your reading ability that is ridiculous. Add Budtz, Ferreira and Jones to that list and you have six "possibilities"

I said "possibiity" - it appears to be your reading ability that is ridiculous. Add Budtz, Ferreira and Jones to that list and you have six "possibilities"

the point was highlighted and made in the post above yours.....so throwing sarcastic comments around like cant you read properly dont really help,considering the fact you didnt read properly or you just wanted to doubley make sure you got your point across...

regardless of correct reading,the point still stands...you could have 7 or 8 loanee players at any one time....but you cant name more than FIVE in a match team.

like i have said elswhere,should we go up then danny jones is a likely target to bring in full time,should wolves go up,also this fabio kid isnt wanted,so why not take a look while its a cheap option....seb hines is another one who could be a possible target should promotion come off.....

you use the system to your advantage,i really dont see what the problem with it is....

the point was highlighted and made in the post above yours.....so throwing sarcastic comments around like cant you read properly dont really help,considering the fact you didnt read properly or you just wanted to doubley make sure you got your point across...

regardless of correct reading,the point still stands...you could have 7 or 8 loanee players at any one time....but you cant name more than FIVE in a match team.

like i have said elswhere,should we go up then danny jones is a likely target to bring in full time,should wolves go up,also this fabio kid isnt wanted,so why not take a look while its a cheap option....seb hines is another one who could be a possible target should promotion come off.....

you use the system to your advantage,i really dont see what the problem with it is....

Good grief. This used to be a a place for debate. It's the system I'm having a go at, not Latics use of it. I find it hard to feel any great sense of connection with a team including so many players who belong to ther clubs. Just a point of view - mine.

Good grief. This used to be a a place for debate. It's the system I'm having a go at, not Latics use of it. I find it hard to feel any great sense of connection with a team including so many players who belong to ther clubs. Just a point of view - mine.

I can't decide which side of the fence I sit on...

On the one hand, like you say, the loanees make it hard to really feel a connection to the team, knowing that they can walk away after a month. This also means that teams can lose consistency if they try too hard to bring in loan players.

However the old 4 at a time system, with a limited total number, would be totally useless for lower level teams as the transfer window is too restrictive. Oldham as the example, we couldn't afford to buy in the players we might need for the run in/promotion push (Windass, Golbourne, Chelski lad, Jones) but we can afford to bring them in on loan for the push.

Overall, the facts of life - as forced upon us by the awful and unfair window - mean that the loan structure has to be the way it is.

I can't decide which side of the fence I sit on...

On the one hand, like you say, the loanees make it hard to really feel a connection to the team, knowing that they can walk away after a month. This also means that teams can lose consistency if they try too hard to bring in loan players.

However the old 4 at a time system, with a limited total number, would be totally useless for lower level teams as the transfer window is too restrictive. Oldham as the example, we couldn't afford to buy in the players we might need for the run in/promotion push (Windass, Golbourne, Chelski lad, Jones) but we can afford to bring them in on loan for the push.

Overall, the facts of life - as forced upon us by the awful and unfair window - mean that the loan structure has to be the way it is.

Good points, well made. It is just a symptom of a wider malaise. I'm trying to recall which team it was earlier in the season who were having a great run but when the cup came round they couldn't play many of their loanees and an barely recognisable side got walloped.

danny jones is here until the end of the season so is windass,both possibly staying longer if we go up....goldbourne another who more than likely will be here until end of the season

budtz was a simple case of needing cover for one game as flemming was sent off and got a ban,josh bell not good enough to step up so made sense.

hines...jury still out on this one,although he has been a long term target for shez for a while.

what you have to ask yourself,is have we got the quality in depth within our squad to manage without these loan players,obviously shez doesnt think so.

we havent had a natural left footed left back since charlton left,nobody currently at the club could adequately fill that gap,lomax has tried but not good enough.

do we have anybody at the club capable of holding the ball and making the killer pass to striker other than windass,his awareness is second to none and is two steps ahead of any other player we currently have.

I think we could manage just fine without Golbourne and Hines. Don't know about Ferreira but I'll guess we could manage without him too (fancy Shez bringing in a player to challenge for his mates position). However we are surely better off for having all three?

As somebody says Windass and Jones are potential signings and here until May, so they can kind of be looked upon as ours, and Budtz is just the necessary covering keeper.

I'd rather we use the loan system than not, of course it's how you use it that matters.

Come off it Andy, you can't blame Dave_Og for having a go back when the first response to his post said it was a "ridiculous argument". Would you have let it lie? :wink:

Also, playing 5 loanees is almost half the team on the pitch... = 0.4545454545... :grin:

It's an interesting topic for a debate. I think too many people view posts such as the OP's as a subconscious criticism of the management whereas it's really a criticism of the league's system of transfer windows etc.

Is Windass really a potential signing? He seems to have ideas above his station that hes still Premiership quality and although the guy will always be a legend for the Leicester game I don't think i'd want us to sign him...

Seeing as we have apparently already offered him a one year contract for next season then yes he is. I'd want us to sign him but then I haven't seen any of his away performances which tend to be the ones being criticised. His home performances have been decent I think.

Seeing as we have apparently already offered him a one year contract for next season then yes he is. I'd want us to sign him but then I haven't seen any of his away performances which tend to be the ones being criticised. His home performances have been decent I think.

Cheers - I wasnt aware of this.

Don't know about Ferreira but I'll guess we could manage without him too (fancy Shez bringing in a player to challenge for his mates position).

Indeed...sadly, at least a season and a half too late! But even Shez can't hide it now...altho still throws him on for an appearance fee every now and then :grin:

Is Windass really a potential signing? He seems to have ideas above his station that hes still Premiership quality and although the guy will always be a legend for the Leicester game I don't think i'd want us to sign him...

No...sorry, can't agree that he thinks that at all. I think he feels he deserves a fair crack at seeing if he is Prem quality which is quite different to thinking he is actually Prem class. Sadly for Dean, Phil Brown didn't agree that he deserved a better crack at it than Dean feels he got. Hence, he went out on loan just to play football. If he thought he was Prem class, he'd stay at Hull and sit on the bench and see out his days with splinters in his bum (and keep hoping for some brief appearances.) As it is, he's come to us and done a great job so far (with more to come, a few goals too also one hopes.)

Getting back on topic, I agree that it's a bit strange how we've suddenly overdosed on loanees. Especially when Eardley and Lomax are, for me, the 2 current RB's for the team. So not sure why we've just lumped Hines straight into the side. Not seen Hines enough, so can't comment overall but he needs to improve on his 1st game. He has time...but that then means keeping out Eards and Lomax and I can't say I'm overly happy at that.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Windass is not really on loan, he is an Oldham player as his Hull contract is up at the end of the season and has an option to sign for us for a year.

DJ would have spent about 3 quarters of the season with us had it not been for imjury. Considering the average permanent contract is 2 seasons, it’s still fairly long term.

As for the short term signings, over the course of the season they will not actually amount to too many appearances. Considering at some times we have struggled to put out 5 substitutes, then surely all they are doing is adding a bit of competition and support.

Unfortunately without the loan system clubs in the 3rd and 4th division would not be able to operate. We all have limited budgets due to the league rules, and some just can't afford a squad of players which covers injury and suspensions.