A game of luck

Not surprised to see the massive overreaction on the board yet again after another bad [half] performance. Ahh well, kept me well entertained anyway, and put a smile on my chops after coming out of there just over an hour ago with a pretty glum one.

Could have been so much different this game. Seeing the chances and goals again on SSN just reinforced that view considerably. Dubious penno in the extreme and although Hughes hit it firmly it was far too near the keeper. But the Windass chance was excruiatingly unlucky, cannoning off the bar like that, straight into the back of the keeper yet the ball drops with a dead thud for him to pick up. We created chance after chance in the first half, while repeatedly letting them off the hook.

Half time, they must be sat there saying "Cor, we're still in this. After being mullered and them missing two glaring chances". Our dressing room must have been a picture.

Warning after HT when their guy sliced through our defence and lost all composure. Then another break through as he dances round several challanges, nearly loses control before hacking a shot which was unfortunately defelected. Rotton luck #2.

Chance soon after for Hughes... drops nicely for him in the box, how much of us would put our houses on him to bag... yet he completely miscues the ball. Rotten luck #3.

Even their second goal was a scuffed shot, yet falls to their man who fluffs his lines, yet the ball drops again for him to finish it off. Bad luck #4, #5 and #6.

Thought Sheridan was an absolute loon for leaving the steady Maher our and putting rickitty Whittaker back in. He was abysmal all game and it was left to Allott to try and carve out chances and try and get the ball to our wide men.

In short, a few shortcomings with Shez (again)... but how many would have forgotton those had Windass netted that chance and we'd gone on to record a narrow win (which I'm sure would have been likely had we got that first goal to settle ourselves)?

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see us go down to Millwall and do them over once again.

Not surprised to see the massive overreaction on the board yet again after another bad [half] performance. Ahh well, kept me well entertained anyway, and put a smile on my chops after coming out of there just over an hour ago with a pretty glum one.

Could have been so much different this game. Seeing the chances and goals again on SSN just reinforced that view considerably. Dubious penno in the extreme and although Hughes hit it firmly it was far too near the keeper. But the Windass chance was excruiatingly unlucky, cannoning off the bar like that, straight into the back of the keeper yet the ball drops with a dead thud for him to pick up. We created chance after chance in the first half, while repeatedly letting them off the hook.

Half time, they must be sat there saying "Cor, we're still in this. After being mullered and them missing two glaring chances". Our dressing room must have been a picture.

Warning after HT when their guy sliced through our defence and lost all composure. Then another break through as he dances round several challanges, nearly loses control before hacking a shot which was unfortunately defelected. Rotton luck #2.

Chance soon after for Hughes... drops nicely for him in the box, how much of us would put our houses on him to bag... yet he completely miscues the ball. Rotten luck #3.

Even their second goal was a scuffed shot, yet falls to their man who fluffs his lines, yet the ball drops again for him to finish it off. Bad luck #4, #5 and #6.

Thought Sheridan was an absolute loon for leaving the steady Maher our and putting rickitty Whittaker back in. He was abysmal all game and it was left to Allott to try and carve out chances and try and get the ball to our wide men.

In short, a few shortcomings with Shez (again)... but how many would have forgotton those had Windass netted that chance and we'd gone on to record a narrow win (which I'm sure would have been likely had we got that first goal to settle ourselves)?

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see us go down to Millwall and do them over once again.

Jamie,

Re: Your "rotten luck" theory.

Rotten Luck 2 - He should not have got in that position to shoot anyway, got past El Cap and Golbourne far too easily. It's not bad luck, it's poor defending.

Rotten Luck 3 - He's a centre forward, it's not bad luck that he miscued, it's poor front play.

Rotten Luck 4,5 and 6. - We let Lambert get a free shot, left the lad unmarked in front of the keeper and let him have it again after a keeper save. Not bad luck, awful defending.

What is bad luck is that we will still have that clown in charge in the morning. And that even bigger clown up front.

Jamie,

Rotten Luck 2 - He should not have got in that position to shoot anyway, got past El Cap and Golbourne far too easily. It's not bad luck, it's poor defending.

Rotten Luck 3 - He's a centre forward, it's not bad luck that he miscued, it's poor front play.

Rotten Luck 4,5 and 6. - We let Lambert get a free shot, left the lad unmarked in front of the keeper and let him have it again after a keeper save. Not bad luck, awful defending.

What is bad luck is that we will still have that clown in charge in the morning. And that even bigger clown up front.

I'm not saying it wasn't bad defending. But it's clear the luck just wasn't with us on the night. The bad defending didn't undo us... the lucky defelection did (as it was heading straight to the keeper to gather).

Also, getting rid of Shez tomorrow. And that's going to improve us as a team and and a unit with immediate effect? I think some of the things tonight, such as the dropping of Maher and failing to address the problem (i.e. Whittaker) when he had the chance shows he's well short managerial-wise, but any manager is judged on results over a period of time. I think failure to get us to the play offs and promotion (or even if we lose, but go down battling hard and to a better team) then he should probably fall on his sword in the summer. But getting rid of him tomorrow? Well, we may as well kiss goodbye now of any chance of getting there and look forward to next season.

I'm not saying it wasn't bad defending. But it's clear the luck just wasn't with us on the night. The bad defending didn't undo us... the lucky defelection did (as it was heading straight to the keeper to gather).

Also, getting rid of Shez tomorrow. And that's going to improve us as a team and and a unit with immediate effect? I think some of the things tonight, such as the dropping of Maher and failing to address the problem (i.e. Whittaker) when he had the chance shows he's well short managerial-wise, but any manager is judged on results over a period of time. I think failure to get us to the play offs and promotion (or even if we lose, but go down battling hard and to a better team) then he should probably fall on his sword in the summer. But getting rid of him tomorrow? Well, we may as well kiss goodbye now of any chance of getting there and look forward to next season.

I already have.

I already have.

Their second was a well worked set piece and in no way bad luck WTF?

Hazell was marking Lambert on the far post when he (Lambert) made a run the spare Bristol player blocked hazel following leaving lambert free to shoot on goal! That set piece they play week in week out and I see it on the goal replays so why the feck didn’t our coaching team?

Lamberts shot was followed up after it struck one of our players, its a set piece again in which we concede from Poor defending, and Gregan can point all he wants to, still doesn’t stop us being sh!te.

Edited by KYLEOAFC

Jamie,

From the way I saw it I don't think you can blame Greegs for the first one, the defence tried to play him offside and Golbourne got caught ball watching instead of moving with the rest of the defence as a unit.

Having said that I don't think you can put this down purely to bad luck. It happens far too frequently for our poor performances to come against the dross of this division to be pure chance. There is something fundamentally wrong with how we approach the game. The OP speaks as though we battered them first half, but to be honest I thought it was slow, it lacked invention and was headed to a 0-0 draw at very best for us. Bristol started with the intention to frustrate us and they absolutely nailed it. They slowed the tempo every chance they got, they gave away free kicks in positions we were unlikely to threaten and to stop any chance for a break and they played percentages. It was terrible to watch but very effective against our side, who without Maher, lack the patience to build the pressure against these deep sitting sides.

Whittiker plays some nice balls outwide, but far more frequently gives the ball away cheaply, leaving us chasing to regain possession from a side that are more than happy to take a 0-0. Long story short, he shouldn't be in the team, especially for games like this. Strikers, Hughes, a shadow of the player he was earlier in the season. Where's the commitment and where's the concentration? How many times in recent weeks has he fluffed his lines against poor opposition? He needs to get his head back on the game, they all matter, not just the big ones. he would be the first player I would drop at the moment. I say that but then I look at Windass and he is hardly worth his spot either. Possibly doing slighlty more than Hughes right now (if Hughes had been awake he would have been sent clean in on goal by Deano in the first half), but for all his quality, his fitness isn't good enough and without a pacey striker playing off his flicks and first time balls, he looks a waste right now. Smalley and Allessandra would be my first choice right now because Hughes needs a serious kick up the arse and Windass needs to get fit and be used from the bench for the moment, although he could work well with either of those 2 alongside him.

Defensively, not our best performance, but lets face it, the selection was baffling. Hines? HINES!?!?! I thought he did ok first match for us, but not as well as Eardley had been doing so a totally pointless switch really. Played poorly at Yeovil and again tonight, if he's in the team on Saturday it's a ridiculous but Shez has a record of failing to make the obvious changes. Golbourne is a tough one, I think he's a good player, but he switches off sometimes. I'll have to see it again but it looked like he played them onside for the first goal and Gregan appeared to agree from his reaction. He did the same thing twice at Leicester but we got away with it, still the decision to take him off and not Hines was a farce.

I think this is the most deflated i've ever been after an Oldham game. Performance was terrible, maybe not the worst i've ever seen but definately up there and it feels so much worse because of the team selection and the obvious tactical errors. Hughes and Windass was never going to trouble 2 big centre backs, especially when they are standing still for 99% of the time. It's the only time i've not clapped any of the team off, Gregan did ok bar a mistake that let them in on goal that we got away with, but the way it felt at the final whistle I just coudln't be bothered making the effort. Play offs are still on the table, other teams threw away points as well, but in a way that just makes tonights result even more frustarting. We did the hardwork getting a point at Yeovil despite the performance, tonight was our chance to turn up the pressure. You have to wonder how much some of the players really want it. I have no doubt that Gregan wants promotion regardless of what it means for him and his place in the team because he's a winner and leader, but how many others do?

You have to wonder how much some of the players really want it. I have no doubt that Gregan wants promotion regardless of what it means for him and his place in the team because he's a winner and leader, but how many others do?

Doesn't seem like they do want it. The loanees don't really care and the majority of the rest know that if we get promotion they will be out of the door and down the leagues.

You make your own luck in this game.

We had 11 out there who didn't deliver last night. Too many times this season we've had similar performances, especially at home.

Ronnie Moore got sacked because his style of play alienated the fans.

I know there was some nancy football on telly last night, but I bet there were 1,000 Latics fans who really couldn't be arsed going simply because they didn't believe they'd see a footballing treat at Boundary Park.

Here's my take on the team:

Budtz:

Nothing personal son, but why were you selected ahead of Fleming? I don't blame you for either goal, but some of your punches when you should have caught the ball were awful and your distribution is poor.

Hines:

Don't think he's a right back. He's certainly not a left back. If we're not going to play him centre back we might as well send him back.

Golbourne:

Not his finest game, deflected their first in (I think) which is unlucky. But why substitute him when there's nothing better on the bench?

Hazell:

Was okayish, although looked a little bit iffy in possession occasionally.

Gregan:

Possibly man of the match. But way off his best.

Taylor:

If we're going to have this talent in the side we need to (1) give him the ball a hell of a lot more and (2) have an overlapping full back. Cut inside a lot last night. When Smalley/Taylor changed wings we stopped giving either of them the ball. wtf is that about?

Smalley:

I like his pace. He's actually been quite exciting. But last night he got muscled out way too easily (weights in the gym needed for the upper body strength) and after beating the defenders he needs the end product of a decent cross.

Allott:

Usual hard working self, didn't notice him do much wrong.

Whitaker:

Danny, I loved you when you started the season. Goals from midfield, link up play etc etc. Now you just give the ball away and never quite seem to be there when a tackle is needed. I've nodded agreement when others have suggested Maher for away games and Whitaker for home games. But I now think that Maher is the man to sit alongside Allott and take games by the scruff of the neck from now until we have our day at Wembley. Hopefully.

Windass:

Does he not get on with Hughsey? Flicks in to the ether? I would have thought 8 games was more than enough to strike up a partnership between these two. What the flick ons give us on the swings, we lose elsewhere on the roundabouts in the dynamics of the front two. Thought he was the obvious penalty taker at the time <shrug>. When he came in my main concerns were "why does Shez always think we need an experience striker on loan?". I've seen some brilliance. But I think he knows he's had his day and doesn't really care.

Hughes:

Worked hard and ran hard until he missed the penalty. I knew the miss was coming and made reference to Rochdale before he hit it. After the miss he was naff and if I owned the club there is no way on earth I'd say he was worth 2 years more.

Eardley:

I cannot defend his 50 yard diagonal passing to a player with 2/3 defenders near him when there are easy options 10 yards down the line or 10 yards inside. Eardley would be a far better player if he focused on doing the simple things instead of trying to be Glenn Hoddle.

Liddell:

No way was he going to turn the game. And he never looked like he could.

Alessandra:

I'm a big fan of LA but as a strike partnership Smalley and Alessandra are not going to get this side anywhere. I appreciate Hughes was not having the best of nights, but LA/LH was probably our only hope of turning the game.

Golbourne:

Not his finest game, deflected their first in (I think) which is unlucky. But why substitute him when there's nothing better on the bench?

Can't find anything else in your post that I'd disagree with, but Golbourne was clearly injured and should have been subbed 10 minutes earlier than he was.

When he approached the Technical area holding his thigh saying "I'm f***ed here Shez" that should have been a cue to replace him, but JS decided to leave him on to struggle for another 10 mins, and it so nearly cost us another goal.

:bblue2::bblue2:

SPOT ON!

I have posted 2/3 times questioning the idiots as to why the players were clapped off at half time, not one has responded to it. Instead they bleat about OAFC's worst ever performance, motivation and sacking Shez.

Good post, well summed up Jamie.

Then how come you were telling me about how it's all a motivation issue just last night? Make your mind up sir.

Doesn't seem like they do want it. The loanees don't really care and the majority of the rest know that if we get promotion they will be out of the door and down the leagues.

FFS, slide down the leagues as other managers ignore the job they did at Oldham? Crazy thinking....

Edited by Stitch_KTF

I think you are being very, very, very kind to them mate.

Derek.

I think you are being very, very, very kind to them mate.

Derek.

Yeah, maybe I was but I wasn't wrong about a massive overreaction mate. Had the little runs of the ball, and the bounces of fortune fallen our way, and we'd have won the game many of the same people would be seeing things a lot differently. Our first half performance was quite similar to the Northampton one, except that we went in 1 goal up and were confident. It was only the second half last night that was unbelievably bad in every way, and I think most of that was bourne from dominating the game and coming in goalless. It's a psychological thing if you will.

And another thing... Why are we so eternally bad at taking throw-ins?

As was the halftime applause?

I thought clapping them off at HT was overly generous, we had been pisspoor and that includes the pen and Windass' swinger that hit the bar. I think even if we had been 1 up at HT we still would've lost that game. Rovers had a plan, we just ambled along like we have done in similar games at this level for the last 12 seasons. I called the defeat at half-time, you just knew it was coming. The only surprise was that it was 2-0 instead of limping to our favoured 1-0 home loss.

I can't fault anyone for finding the positives in any situation but many of us were pointing out Shez's failings in April 2007, he hasn't learnt from them. His policy of quantity not quality is failing miserably, I reckon we need 8 wins to make the play offs - do you think we will get them?

At the start of the season we all felt we had the squad to go up, he's decimated the squad HE built with average loan signings and not given half of HIS signings any sort of chance - a prime example is Kieran Lee (105 minutes before reverting back to DW) The squad now is unbalanced, the striking options we had have now gone gone in favour for an immobile dinosaur - yes he shows the odd good touch but so does Lewi - Windass is a luxury we didn't need.

I thought clapping them off at HT was overly generous, we had been pisspoor and that includes the pen and Windass' swinger that hit the bar. I think even if we had been 1 up at HT we still would've lost that game. Rovers had a plan, we just ambled along like we have done in similar games at this level for the last 12 seasons. I called the defeat at half-time, you just knew it was coming. The only surprise was that it was 2-0 instead of limping to our favoured 1-0 home loss.....

: :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

You would think that, it suits you as one of the ones who comes on after every non victory bleating about sacking Shez who, for the third season out of three, is doing well.

When was the last time we lost 1-0 at home? :unsure:

I called a draw at halftime....you win. :)

You would think that, it suits you as one of the ones who comes on after every non victory bleating about sacking Shez who, for the third season out of three, is doing well.

When was the last time we lost 1-0 at home? :unsure:

I called a draw at halftime....you win. :)

Find where I have said sack Shez after every loss or non-victory? I question his decisions and I've said he gets until the summer no matter what! It's what fans do, they question their manager when he gets it wrong, doesn't mean they want him sacked - defeats happen, :censored: happens. But you carry on putting words in my mouth. As for our last 1-0 home defeat, Cheltenham in the cup - in the league we've gone up a notch, we prefer 2-0 this season, eliminates any doubts.

Not everyone can stay so positive, as much as my perceived negativity is annoying, I find your holier than thou let's limp along at any cost mentality equally frustrating. You think the sun shines out of Shez's arse, I don't. Get over it!

We've been terrible with them for years now. Manager after manager and it's never changed. Just one of those things we don't do well.

It's not just throw ins though is it Chris. Where was the movement off the ball last night? As the lad who sits behind me in the Chaddy pointed out last night, Hughes and Windass played 30 yards apart for most of the night and when we were in possession in the oppo half, and not until Lewi came on did any of our players make an effort to move toward the man on the ball.

It's not just throw ins though is it Chris. Where was the movement off the ball last night? As the lad who sits behind me in the Chaddy pointed out last night, Hughes and Windass played 30 yards apart for most of the night and when we were in possession in the oppo half, and not until Lewi came on did any of our players make an effort to move toward the man on the ball.

There was no movement Dan, that was the problem. The front two whoever they've been (Stockport apart) have been so isolated all season. whitaker makes the odd run but hides for most of the game. Maybe it is time to go with BB80 suggestion of playing someone in the hole to link with our ineffective midfield.

One question - How can a team that doubles up on our wingers, still destroy us through the middle? That was what really hurt, no desire to win the game. Going through the motions.

Is it the same problem we had two years ago with so many players out of contract at the end of the season? A bit of sulking that Rubes has got a deal already??? No idea, but something has been wrong since Christmas really.

Find where I have said sack Shez after every loss or non-victory? I question his decisions and I've said he gets until the summer no matter what! It's what fans do, they question their manager when he gets it wrong, doesn't mean they want him sacked - defeats happen, :censored: happens. But you carry on putting words in my mouth. As for our last 1-0 home defeat, Cheltenham in the cup - in the league we've gone up a notch, we prefer 2-0 this season, eliminates any doubts.

Not everyone can stay so positive, as much as my perceived negativity is annoying, I find your holier than thou let's limp along at any cost mentality equally frustrating. You think the sun shines out of Shez's arse, I don't. Get over it!

Sack him In May When It's Cheaper

I can't fathom how being in a play-off position ALL season is 'limping along at any cost'. Nor can I fathom why Shez in/out polls are being started under the same circumstances.

Bizzare.