OK cards on table Shez in or out

oafcprozac

Shez in or out?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Does he stay or go?

• Sack Him
    • Back Him
    • Dead Man Walking until May

It was the same from 73-74 when we spent the next 18 or so seasons in the old div2, usually in the bottom half, never once threatening promotion until the advent of the play offs. Oldham are a small club, probably to small for a spot in the championship.What do you think would be worst for the club, another couple of seasons challenging in this division, or 1 demoralising season in championship, which is what I fear would be the result of promotion At least it seems they are in & around the play off spots every year under Shez. To be honest, I was very surprised to see so many wanting him out .

No question of aiming to create a Championship outfit and expand the fanbase like other clubs in similar-size towns seem able to manage then?

I don't recall the play-offs featuring much when we eventually went up to the top flight either.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't get my head around anyone slaggin Shez right now. We might not have been playing all that well lately but all teams have bad patches. Todays result kept us in with a decent shout of the play offs. If we do Leeds the shout gets louder and it's in our hands.

If we miss out and get shot of him who else is there that could do a better job and would be interested anyroad?

The Special One reckons he'd like another crack at managing in England......

Get real. His faults will get less as he grows in experience and he's likely to get better and better at the job.

I wonder if some of you have any idea what 'Keep The Faith' means.

45 soddin years I've cheered em on. You think it's not good enough now??? You haven't lived. Back Shez and give him a realistic chance to get it right. At the very least another season.

45 soddin years. Made me immune from depression that as.... Harry Dowd, Alan Groves, Maurice Whittle thinking he's Peter Lorimer, David Shaw disappearing into the depths of West Bromich, Big Jim Fryatt, Andy Lochead, meat pies, rattles, bobble hats, grandads pipe, gran hitting Jimmy Frizzell on the head with an umbrella all because of Wilf Mannion (don't ask), jumpers for goalposts.......... :rant.sml:

This get's rolled out all the time. You don't know who would want the job, only time you can tell is when it's advertised. Even teams at the bottom of league two get 30+applications for the job, Grimsby got Mike Newell who proved to be good manager who got Luton promoted to the championship and stayed there for a couple of seasons.

Keep the faith is an over used statement which means very little in these ever changing days of football, like wise you can't compare what it was like in the old days to what it's like now.

I've said he should be given til the end of the season, but if we don't go up you shouldn't reward failure, which by Shez's own statements that it will be.

No question of aiming to create a Championship outfit and expand the fanbase like other clubs in similar-size towns seem able to manage then?

I don't recall the play-offs featuring much when we eventually went up to the top flight either.

you obviously don't remember heartbreak of 1st season of play offs, anyway, this wasn't about the playoffs back then, or eventual promotion. Do you think, as a club & as a team in general, Latics would survive more than 1 season in the championship, I would love to see them go up, but I would hate to see them come straihght back down , that could set the club back years. It would be very hard , due to the demographics of the town, to increase the fanbase dramatically, although I do agree, a promotion is the most likely thing to attract new fans. Then you get the old chestnut of longer term fans complaining about the johnny come latelies & bandwagon jumpers who will turn out if Latics make play-offs, & these could well be the future fans of Latics.

you obviously don't remember heartbreak of 1st season of play offs, anyway, this wasn't about the playoffs back then, or eventual promotion. Do you think, as a club & as a team in general, Latics would survive more than 1 season in the championship, I would love to see them go up, but I would hate to see them come straihght back down , that could set the club back years. It would be very hard , due to the demographics of the town, to increase the fanbase dramatically, although I do agree, a promotion is the most likely thing to attract new fans. Then you get the old chestnut of longer term fans complaining about the johnny come latelies & bandwagon jumpers who will turn out if Latics make play-offs, & these could well be the future fans of Latics.

Of course I remember it. But as I said, the play-offs didn't feature when we actually got promoted, which proves that 'lickle Oldham' can put together a successful squad if everybody puts their mind to it.

Doesn't what you're saying about promotion put it off indefinitely? The real danger lies in the other direction, as we are seeing: seemingly permanent floundering in a poor quality division is slowly eroding the fanbase. Without breaking out of the present pattern the only way is down.

I sometimes get the feeling that a certain type of Latics fan would love to see the club relegated to the bottom division, and should we actually gain promotion they'd crow about it as if it were some marvellous success. 'What do you all want?' Not that this would happen, as the recent record of this club sees it 'cut its cloth accordingly' after each relegation in order to adjust to a long-term stay at the new level to which the club has sunk.

Then you get the old chestnut of longer term fans complaining about the johnny come latelies & bandwagon jumpers who will turn out if Latics make play-offs, & these could well be the future fans of Latics.

Any long-term fan who actually does this is an utter moron.

Of course I remember it. But as I said, the play-offs didn't feature when we actually got promoted, which proves that 'lickle Oldham' can put together a successful squad if they don't chop and change the manager every couple of seasons.

Corrected. Took big Joe nine years to build that Championship-winning side. And there was a fair amount of dross to put up with in those years, IIRC.

These stats are just of the top of my head, but have a goosey at the following since we have been in this division

clubs who were in our league or lower when we were relegated in 1997, whom have since overtaken us and not been relegated back to this league since gaining promotion from it

Reading

Watford (although that admittedly could change next season)

Wigan

Hull

Plymouth Argyle

Cardiff

Swansea (doesnt really count as its only their first season)

Doncaster (ditto)

Burnley

Stoke (although they were not in our div for the warnock season, they were for the ritchie season and once they got out of this league havent looked back)

You can add Fulham to that list as well. And Preston North End. And Blackpool.

Corrected. Took big Joe nine years to build that Championship-winning side. And there was a fair amount of dross to put up with in those years, IIRC.

I never mentioned timescales. The point is that it can be done and that we don't necessarily always have to settle for being lickle Oldham.

Compared to us all those clubs are Massive though.

The only thing that's massive is your desire to keep reminding us of this ad infinitum. We going to win tonight Corp? It'll make a refreshing change for you to actually comment about what goes on on the pitch.

The only thing that's massive is your desire to keep reminding us of this ad infinitum. We going to win tonight Corp? It'll make a refreshing change for you to actually comment about what goes on on the pitch.

I don't know if we're going to win or not, but I hope we do. We do have to remember that Leeds are truly Massive though.

In future I will endeavour to repeat what's already been said by others about what goes on on the pitch, if it pleases you.

I don't know if we're going to win or not, but I hope we do. We do have to remember that Leeds are truly Massive though.

In future I will endeavour to repeat what's already been said by others about what goes on on the pitch, if it pleases you.

I wasn't seeking a sneering answer. I know you have thoughts about what goes on on the pitch, but you never/rarely air them on here. I fact nearly every post of yours now is about or alluding to the exact same subject matter.

Kabba or Windass?

I wasn't seeking a sneering answer. I know you have thoughts about what goes on on the pitch, but you never/rarely air them on here. I fact nearly every post of yours now is about or alluding to the exact same subject matter.

Kabba or Windass?

Fair enough, but what does it matter in terms of the cosmos?

Kabba.

I never mentioned timescales. The point is that it can be done and that we don't necessarily always have to settle for being lickle Oldham.

True enough. My point being, on a thread about whether or not to get rid of the manager, that it's rarely done by having a revolving door policy where the management's concerned.

Apologies for keeping it 'on topic'. :grin:

It's really, really terrible, isn't it?

Not really. But it definitely reinforces my thoughts that you're much happier seeing us fail miserably than see us do well. I mean, Wilson's a miserable get, but I don't have to be reminded that he has an absolutely massive heart for the club.

Not really. But it definitely reinforces my thoughts that you're much happier seeing us fail miserably than see us do well. I mean, Wilson's a miserable get, but I don't have to be reminded that he has an absolutely massive heart for the club.

No, no-like plenty of others, if the falling attendances are anything to go by, I'm heartily sick of seing the club fail miserably, hence the frequent complaining.

That's the way it works. It's almost like magic!

Back handed compliment???????

:wink: