1. 1. Does he stay or go?

• Sack Him
    • Back Him
    • Dead Man Walking until May

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree, give him till end of season at least. He needs to create a plan B!.

2-0 down why doesnt he for once in his managerial career go all out with 3 or 4 upfront?

Like he did the week before? :unsure:

Shez in - on the whole he's doing a good job. Everyone makes mistakes.

after calming down from last night, we are 5th in the league for gods sake, people need to get a grip.

For now! you cannot hide from the fact the ground we have lost since mid November. If that trend continue's as it as been doing, we will not get near the play off's.

This is now a FACT................................If we lose the next two games (Millwall & Leeds) it's season 2008/09 over. Had we beat the sides we should have (Yeovil & Bristol Rovers) that statement wouldn't be true.

You forgot to add that he's still learning.

Good managers never stop learning, but having been involved in the coaching set-up since 2001; Shez is far from a novice and has had more time rightly or wrongly than most manager's will ever get. Sheridan has established us as a top ten third division side and has brought a degree of stability to the club after the roller coaster ride under Talbot and Moore, but let's look at the reality of the situation - in all honesty the amount of people thinking Shez has taken us as far as he can is increasing by the day. He's been a great servant to the club but I think deep down he doesn't even believe in his own ability. The league was there to be walked two years ago, yet after hitting the top with 15 games to go we retreated into our shell playing stale, passionless football and most of the performances since (the odd brief purple patch apart) have mirrored this. Shez has had more money than any manager since our relegation in 1997, including Dowie and Wadsworth. The calibre of player he has been allowed to sign has been up there with anything our rivals have signed over the last three years.

Nothing personal Shez, I'll wish him the best of luck when he leaves in May, the foundations are there we need someone to get us up a gear to make that final step.

Shez has had more money than any manager since our relegation in 1997, including Dowie and Wadsworth. The calibre of player he has been allowed to sign has been up there with anything our rivals have signed over the last three years.

I do find this hard to believe. Is it a fact? Those two had close to a million pounds spent on players given by Chris Moore. Shez hasn't had the budget's they had with TTA in charge? Surely?

I do find this hard to believe. Is it a fact? Those two had close to a million pounds spent on players given by Chris Moore. Shez hasn't had the budget's they had with TTA in charge? Surely?

Ok he's not paid the transfer fees, but the wages we've paid out over the last 3 seasons must eclipse that surely?

Charlton

Gregan

Clarke

Davies

Ricketts

Hughes

Crossley

Kilkenny

Constantine

Jarrett

Ormerod

Byfield

Windass

Maher

Davies

Lee

All were signed from Championship level at least...

Edited by oafcprozac

For now! you cannot hide from the fact the ground we have lost since mid November. If that trend continue's as it as been doing, we will not get near the play off's.

This is now a FACT................................If we lose the next two games (Millwall & Leeds) it's season 2008/09 over. Had we beat the sides we should have (Yeovil & Bristol Rovers) that statement wouldn't be true.

yes we have lost ground on the top 2 but we are still in the play off spots.

people on here must have watched football and oldham long enough to know that by next monday everything could be looking rosey again by next monday at 10pm. fingers crossed, as an oldham fan i dont want us to lose both like some ***** are suggesting on other threads. i can only assume they are leeds fans

im far from happy at the way we are playing but you cant expect to pick up points against everyone no matter where they are in the league.

the reactions when we get beat off anyone are ridiculous, fans have a non realistic view of who we are and what we should be achieving.

if you where told we would be 5th at this point in the season no-one can tell me they wouldnt have taken it (the majority would have been happy to be above leeds) i cant say for certain but at the start of the season most of this board predicted playoffs, we now occupy those spots and havent dropped out all season

this is not me being a happy clapper , this is me trying to be realistic....others need to try and do the same.

Nothing personal Shez, I'll wish him the best of luck when he leaves in May, the foundations are there we need someone to get us up a gear to make that final step.

I think this is exactly my sentiment, I dont think there is a chance in hell that Shez will leave before the end of this season, and even with my most optimistic hat on, I cant see anything other than dissapointment at the end of the season.

I'm interested with the 'foundations' statement - if you mean youth then fair enough... however a new manager will have to bring in a totally new core if/when shez leaves, i'd be stunned if any of: Greegs, Norm, Hughes, Allott, or Windass remains after his departure.... the thing is for the forst time in a long while I'd say that isnt necessarily a bad thing.

When someone new comes in next year the foundations will be based on our youth... both through budget necessity and turnaround of players. As you say, for me that is a decent foundation... but it will feel like a new side. Throw in the probability Eards and Tayls will be sold to probably fund budget holes and squad rebuilding... and you have a new side.

... I'm being quite finite, however I just can believe in my heart of hearts we will get promoted at the moment, or that Sheridan will be at the helm next season... however, that could change by 10pm monday :)

Edited by BigfinLatic

Yeah, but clever people learn from them.......................

Only hindsight seperates good decisions from mistakes. ALL managers make mistakes, even though there are only so many mistakes to make in football.

You forgot to add that he's still learning.

Thanks for reminding everyone. In the play-offs ALL season and our manager is still learning.

We're onto a winner it seems. :)

Only hindsight seperates good decisions from mistakes. ALL managers make mistakes, even though there are only so many mistakes to make in football.

So foresight plays no part?

I wonder then whether my brother, who's first words when we saw the line up were "why the **** is Maher on the bench for Mr Invisible" would agree?

So foresight plays no part?

I wonder then whether my brother, who's first words when we saw the line up were "why the **** is Maher on the bench for Mr Invisible" would agree?

Of course it does - the things he gets right often go unoticed or are taken for granted.

I too would have prefered Maher - I think Whittaker is :censored:. But then others think we should rotate the squad (fair enough at a time when we have 4 games in 10 days and 5 over thirties in the first team), other want to know why Lee or Stevens havn't played - does he drop/rest Allott? Or Maher?

Shez is DAMNED IF HE DOES, DAMNED IF HE DOESN'T.

If we won, as we shoud have, then resting Maher for Whittaker looks a good decision. We've won plenty of games with Whittaker in the side after all. We lost thanks largely to Hughes and Windass, he get's slated for it and 'Shez Out' polls are started.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Clear??

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Ok he's not paid the transfer fees, but the wages we've paid out over the last 3 seasons must eclipse that surely?

Charlton

Gregan

Clarke

Davies

Ricketts

Hughes

Crossley

Kilkenny

Constantine

Jarrett

Ormerod

Byfield

Windass

Maher

Davies

Lee

All were signed from Championship level at least...

Hang on, players like Killen, Wjinhard, Clint Hill etc were on monumental wages, much more than any of those. And remove the loanees, as I they weren't/aren't long contracts who we've had to pay off to get out of our club.

I mean, when TTA state that we are as stable as we've ever been finance wise. Do you think we got that stability by throwing more money at it than Chris Moore ever did or do you just not believe TTA's statement about that?

Of course it does - the things he gets right often go unoticed or are taken for granted.

I too would have prefered Maher - I think Whittaker is :censored:. But then others think we should rotate the squad (fair enough at a time when we have 4 games in 10 days and 5 over thirties in the first team), other want to know why Lee or Stevens havn't played - does he drop/rest Allott? Or Maher?

Shez is DAMNED IF HE DOES, DAMNED IF HE DOESN'T.

If we won, as we shoud have, then resting Maher for Whittaker looks a good decision. We've won plenty of games with Whittaker in the side after all. We lost thanks largely to Hughes and Windass, he get's slated for it and 'Shez Out' polls are started.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Clear??

The point I was making Stitch, is that fro me, you set out your stall with your best performing 11 on the field. The likes of Maher have been more effective than the likes of Whittaker over recent games, so why drop him? Stick with him. Play your players who have been playing well instead of :censored: about with it every 2 minutes. You don't need hindsight to tell you that.

It's not only about that though is it? It's about the changes that he makes when things aren't working on the pitch. To me it was pretty obvious after half an hour that our front 2 were getting nothing last night cos all their centre halves had to do was get tight. There was no way we'd be getting in behind them, yet we don't make the changes until we are 2 down and chasing the game.

i want nothing more than for us to go up and go up under Shez, but............

..........if there was a manager out there that we could get who could organise & fire up this talented but largely spineless group of players to get us over the finish line..... :unsure: