1. 1. Does he stay or go?

• Sack Him
    • Back Him
    • Dead Man Walking until May

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, SO who would you put in charge of the side right now? remembering our budget, the crowds we get and the money available from the directors to pay for a replacement manager <_<

Unless you're going to dig deep into your own pocket i'd quit while you're ahead

I've said repeatedly, it's the reason I'm quoting the stats, that Shez is the man for the job. He's got weaknesses and I don't deny that, but with the money we have, the managers we've had and the managers that are available the change would be a step back and not a step forward.

Shez goes in the summer for me. Simply for the reason that he can't seem motivate a team to play against teams who are struggling, we have lost again against Bristol Rovers - twice, Hereford, Cheltenham, Yeovil and Swindon. If we had beaten 3 of these teams which we would be second in the table. It's frustrating that we can beat Leeds, Scunny, MK pick up points against Leicester and Posh and then loose against teams that we should beat.

Edited by Guest

John Sheridan was born and brought up in a rough area of South Manchester and is part of a 'hard' family local to where I now (unfortuantely) live. He is not an academic genius and neither is he a great orator and I'm sure he would never claim to be. I am therefore always surprised when people criticise his post-match comments and I notice that this criticism is only after a defeat. The media side of things is irrelevant when we are winning and so it should be when we get beaten. However, he was a highly gifted footballer and I have never met a supporter of either Leeds United or Sheffield Wednesday who have anything but good to say about him. We witnessed the end of his career and saw enough to know what a fine player he had been.

His move into coaching started well and he certainly showed that he could get a team playing football in the right way. There was quite a clamour for his appointment as manager when Brian Talbot left and I remember being absolutely delighted when he replaced the football genius, Ronnie Moore. He has developed many of the traits of a decent football manager in his time at the helm. He can certainly spot a player and there haven't been that many dud signings. There are always a few though (even Taggart has signed duds) and I find that a better guide is in the players who have been released (unwanted by us) and have then gone on to be successful elsewhere. I can't think of any. Some of the young players have come on leaps and bounds under his tutelage and could go on to far better things as a result.

However, there seems to be a weakness in motivating the players against the kind of teams where self-motivation doesn't kick in. This could be because he has always remained as 'one of the lads' and as 'Shez' or he may just not have that attribute in his make-up. The only thing I do know for sure is that the Man Ure players would not get away with speaking to Taggart the way that some of our lot speak to their boss during a match. I feel certain that John Sheridan will go on to be a successful manager elsewhere. I also think that, after his experience at Boundary Park, he will go into a new club as the 'gaffer' and not as 'Shez'. It is too late for that here now and whilst I will be very sad to see him go, I do now feel that it would be the best decision for everybody. He has started to make some strange decisions in terms of team selection and this suggests a man under pressure. I don't think that anything will happen until the summer but I also feel that by leaving it that long, we will miss out on a play-off spot.

Just my opinion.

After 4 pages of 'interesting' debate, i'll throw another slant on this - many presume we either a; are going to sack him before May or b; Sack him at the end of May or even c; Keep him to his contract until next year - However how do we know that JS wants to stay at a club that attracts 3,500-5,000 fans on average, many who do not help create a good atmosphere at bp (though there are some who obviously try!).

Ok he has probably one of the most supportive, financially dependant boards and at the moment has the potential to be a biggish fish in a little pond whilst still learning his trade. But after 3 years of trying to attract players to a poorly supported (in terms of divisional average) club, with a 3 sided run down stadium and it's fair share of negative fans (as i'm sure most have).

After plying his managerial trade with us and all in all been a bloody good servant to the club in the last 10 years - far more than some 1or2 season wonders we've given adulation to, I wouldn't be wholly surprised if we don't get promotion, he leaves on his own consent anyway - which should suit plenty to the ground.

then we can look forward again to yet another manager coming in, clearing the decks of players, backroom staff, bringing in his own, changing the style of play, no personal desire for the club, etc etc.....

Oh the joys of being a football fan..

After 4 pages of 'interesting' debate, i'll throw another slant on this - many presume we either a; are going to sack him before May or b; Sack him at the end of May or even c; Keep him to his contract until next year - However how do we know that JS wants to stay at a club that attracts 3,500-5,000 fans on average, many who do not help create a good atmosphere at bp (though there are some who obviously try!).

Ok he has probably one of the most supportive, financially dependant boards and at the moment has the potential to be a biggish fish in a little pond whilst still learning his trade. But after 3 years of trying to attract players to a poorly supported (in terms of divisional average) club, with a 3 sided run down stadium and it's fair share of negative fans (as i'm sure most have).

After plying his managerial trade with us and all in all been a bloody good servant to the club in the last 10 years - far more than some 1or2 season wonders we've given adulation to, I wouldn't be wholly surprised if we don't get promotion, he leaves on his own consent anyway - which should suit plenty to the ground.

then we can look forward again to yet another manager coming in, clearing the decks of players, backroom staff, bringing in his own, changing the style of play, no personal desire for the club, etc etc.....

Shez probably doesn't want to stay. I'm sure there are loads of other football clubs he'd rather be managing, but how many of them will want John Sheridan ?

Wasnt so hot headed last night to even suggest anything............ happy clappers have done it for me, Shez needs to go (you idiots are too easily pleased). Sick of the lot of you making excuses. One gobby pillock nearly got smacked off the guy he shouted at for booing last night (I refuse to boo and think it aint right but they were :censored:e and you pay your money and all that). Happy clappers are easily pleased......... Missed prob only a handful of home games in 30 years but may even leave my ST on the sideboard on Monday because we have no heart. And anyone who still thinks we are good enough to go up.............. get real. :blush:

I couldn't agree more! League two's full of sides who've tried and failed,

Poor old Bratfud, Port vale, Rotherham, Luton etc etc, atleast we have the stability inplace to avoid this year after year and remain a decent team, well placed in a tough league ..................but if some would prefer to join the others mentioned then fair enough :blink:

Poor old Bratfud, Port vale, Rotherham, Luton etc etc, atleast we have the stability inplace to avoid this year after year and remain a decent team, well placed in a tough league ..................but if some would prefer to join the others mentioned then fair enough :blink:

Yeah lets stay mid table forever and not get to taste the excitment of promotion or even the excitement of a succesful relegation battle (remember Bradford at home a few years ago?). Scunthorpe, Blackpool and Barnsley bet their fans wished they had stayed in league 1 and not pushed for bigger and better.

It's now Thursday and don't feel half as down or disillutioned as I did yesterday, let alone Tuesday night. I was thinking (yeah yeah dangerous) it's not very common and not many in situ as manager would actually swallow it, but would a better solution all round be to move Sheridan to coach (or in effect) assistant and bring in a boss...a proper gaffer/manager?. Many have been moved upstairs! within clubs which appears more acceptable (unlike Stitch felt) but Sheridan is a good man at heart and does have some affinity to the club, whilst also he did well with the youngster in his charge.

We all talk of getting the club throughout on a good footing. We've got 3 guys at the top who seem to be doing a great job at stablizing a ship that was rudderless for decades. A staff within the club who are like family. TP who to a man (and women) believe he is the best in his role anywhere. So why not Sheridan as coach and bring in that guy who would be Gaffer and do whats needed Monday morning after a shocker on Saturday. The guy the players fear being summoned by.

Would this be an option for many OWTB members?

It's now Thursday and don't feel half as down or disillutioned as I did yesterday, let alone Tuesday night. I was thinking (yeah yeah dangerous) it's not very common and not many in situ as manager would actually swallow it, but would a better solution all round be to move Sheridan to coach (or in effect) assistant and bring in a boss...a proper gaffer/manager?. Many have been moved upstairs! within clubs which appears more acceptable (unlike Stitch felt) but Sheridan is a good man at heart and does have some affinity to the club, whilst also he did well with the youngster in his charge.

We all talk of getting the club throughout on a good footing. We've got 3 guys at the top who seem to be doing a great job at stablizing a ship that was rudderless for decades. A staff within the club who are like family. TP who to a man (and women) believe he is the best in his role anywhere. So why not Sheridan as coach and bring in that guy who would be Gaffer and do whats needed Monday morning after a shocker on Saturday. The guy the players fear being summoned by.

Agree to some extent, I remember not long after Shez was appointed thinking his biggest mistake was not bringing a real ball-buster in as assistant manager, although Talbot tried the bully approach and the players the poor lambs retreated into their shells. The manager should be approachable but an authoritarian figure.

I quite like that idea, but i doubt Shez would go for it.

I quite like that idea, but i doubt Shez would go for it.

If those recent NYT reports are correct and TTA are going for it this season - they wouldn't be bothered if Shez went for it or not. They should be be looking to find someone who does understand why it went wrong - someone who isn't dumbfounded and someone who can motivate the squad that's been funded.

If those recent NYT reports are correct and TTA are going for it this season - they wouldn't be bothered if Shez went for it or not. They should be be looking to find someone who does understand why it went wrong - someone who isn't dumbfounded and someone who can motivate the squad that's been funded.

Motivation must have been pretty good up until Christmas, when we were in the top 6 with a bottom 6 budget.....with no reserve team for Shez to use in order to cut costs further.

Maybe we should ditch all the loanees and go back to what we had (with DJ)?

If we fail to gain promotion soon, and perhaps even if we do but the stadium redevelopment doesn't happen, we will join them anyway. Twelve or fifteen years ago nobody would have lumped us in with those clubs. Historically perhaps, yes, but it seemed as if we'd broken away from that pack.

The failure to build on our glory days is what will eventually see the demise of professional football in this town.

Motivation must have been pretty good up until Christmas, when we were in the top 6 with a bottom 6 budget.....with no reserve team for Shez to use in order to cut costs further.

Maybe we should ditch all the loanees and go back to what we had (with DJ)?

If it was a bottom six budget before Christmas, why did everybody seem to agree pre-season that this was the best budget for years; the best we could possibly hope for, in fact?

Why did we start the season with a stronger squad than most in the division, consisting of certain players who will certainly not come cheap, if we were in the bottom six budget-wise?

Some garbage being talked about budgets this season, I'm afraid.

If it was a bottom six budget before Christmas, why did everybody seem to agree pre-season that this was the best budget for years; the best we could possibly hope for, in fact?

Why did we start the season with a stronger squad than most in the division, consisting of certain players who will certainly not come cheap, if we were in the bottom six budget-wise?

We seem unable to compete with Millwall, Peterborough, MK Dons, Southend whatever. You know-footballing giants like that?

And then there's Stockport as well with their 3,000 gates in the division below us not long ago....

That's what I love about supporting Latics-the sense of progress and the iron will to compete.

Don't know - all I can say is that Hughes is on a much lesser wage than a player of his calibre would normally command. So in effect Shez had a small budget with a 'free' Lee Hughes.

I can only credit Shez for assembling such a strong, expensive looking squad on such a small budget.

You're talking garbage. I can't fathom why TTA would let false news of a bottom six budget out into the public domain. You have been know to point out what able businessmen they are - I mean what would that do for the endless attempts to attract more fans? They wouldn't let such false news out, hence why they moved to confirm the budget is no longer so small as soon as they could!! Why would they have ever been short changing themselves?

John Sheridan - He'll get you into the top six on a shoe-string, or the top 8 with a youth team and no subs bench. However he may say 'no danger' in a meaningless interview, and he isn't arsed about the players using his nickname. :angry:

Don't know - all I can say is that Hughes is on a much lesser wage than a player of his calibre would normally command. So in effect Shez had a small budget with a 'free' Lee Hughes.

I can only credit Shez for assembling such a strong, expensive looking squad on such a small budget.

You're talking garbage. I can't fathom why TTA would let false news of a bottom six budget out into the public domain. You have been know to point out what able businessmen they are - I mean what would that do for the endless attempts to attract more fans? They wouldn't let such false news out, hence why they moved to confirm the budget is no longer so small as soon as they could!! Why would they have ever been short changing themselves?

John Sheridan - He'll get you into the top six on a shoe-string, or the top 8 with a youth team and no subs bench. However he may say 'no danger' in a meaningless interview, and he isn't arsed about the players using his nickname. :angry:

TTA didn't let false news of a bottom six budget out into the public domain. John Sheridan claimed it in an interview. If I remember correctly, many supporters questioned this on here, leading to TTA refuting it, although it seems that it's now being spun to suggest retrospectively that we had a small budget before Christmas-something we were not led to believe at the time, hence the general agreement on here that it was likely the best budget we could possibly hope for. As I said, some garbage being talked about budgets this season.

And you've no need to justify Sheridan to me, as you'll notice that I've said nothing directly critical of him.

Edited by Corporal_Jones