Bring back Royle

228 members have voted

1. 1. Bring back Royle

• Stay with Shez
    • Sack Shez Bring Back Royle
    • Sack Shez, don't bring back Royle, bring in another manager

Like a good number of owtb posters, I have given the manager a lot of latitude, believing that due to his standing he was entiteld to the end of the season.

However, with the tools that he has been given by TTA, I believe that we should be hanging on the shirt tails of Leicester. The players have proved time and again this season that they can at least match any team in this division. What they have lacked is the prearation to deal with the teams who are not as good, but who come with an organised game plan. Lessons have not been learnt.

So, it's time for a change, and I don't say that in frustration or anger.

We are still in with a shout and we shouldn't change for the sake of change. What we need is a man who can take us on in the last 10 games. IMO that man is Royle. He is currently free and I believe that made an offer would not turn us down in what would be a swan song to his career.

He started at BP and the chance to finsih with 2/3/4 years, get us up and give us stability would be a challenge he would be prepared to take on.

Come on TTA you know it makes sense it's over to you.

Pleassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssse.

Cheers,

Harry

Edited to add poll (1st poll ever so hope it doesn't flop)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sheridans_world
Like a good number of owtb posters, ... Harry

Its the fairy tale isnt it?

Problem is, he'd leave and go to Everton :grin:

No seriously, good shout, I think he might have had enough of management though. He's 59 now, not exactley a spring chick, he wont need the cash...

I'd love to see Royle back at Boundary Park, after only being able to read about the miracles he worked when he was here first time round....

Like a good number of owtb posters, I have given the manager a lot of latitude, believing that due to his standing he was entiteld to the end of the season.

However, with the tools that he has been given by TTA, I believe that we should be hanging on the shirt tails of Leicester. The players have proved time and again this season that they can at least match any team in this division. What they have lacked is the prearation to deal with the teams who are not as good, but who come with an organised game plan. Lessons have not been learnt.

We are still in with a shout and we shouldn't change for the sake of change. What we need is a man who can take us on in the last 10 games. IMO that man is Royle. He is currently free and I believe that made an offer would not turn us down in what would be a swan song to his career.

He started at BP and the chance to finsih with 2/3/4 years, get us up and give us stability would be a challenge he would be prepared to take on.

Cheers,

Harry

Well said H. I agree totally. It would also put another 2000 on the gate each week.

No, no and thrice no.

Everyone knows it never quite works out the same the second time around, and I couldn't face the possibility of tarnishing Joe's legendary status.

Besides that, I don't honestly believe he'd be interested. I think he's happy enough to have retired from management.

If we are to change the manager we need to look forward, not backward.

Edited by garcon

No, no and thrice no.

Everyone knows it never quite works out the same the second time around, and I couldn't face the possibility of tarnishing Joe's legendary status.

Besides that, I don't honestly believe he'd be interested. I think he's happy enough to have retired from management.

GARCON - it would be temporary. Til end of season. The man would relish it and he walks on water. Let me tell you it would be a lot more exciting than today.

No, no and thrice no.

Well in answer to what you say, whilst I respect your opinion, the last manager I recall going back to a club was Redknap ay Portsmouth.

Didn't do too bad did he?

And if Big Joe was to come back, got us up and then left again, so what?

Cheers,

Harry

Harry's the exception to the rule (in alot of ways). :grin:

If Joe came and got us up I'd be over the moon. But given the choice I'd rather leave Joe to his retirement with his legacy intact and look for some newer managerial talent.

Harry's the exception to the rule (in alot of ways). :grin:

If Joe came and got us up I'd be over the moon. But given the choice I'd rather leave Joe to his retirement with his legacy intact and look for some newer managerial talent.

As I said, respect your point pal.

Lets see what the poll bring tomorrow when people get up having had a noght to sleep on their emotions.

Maybe there will be a message in there for the club to act on.

Cheers,

Harry

It's all about opinions. And I can see there's more to your wish to bring Joe back than just sentimentality.

As far as the poll goes, I voted keep Shez on the assumption you mean NOW. Shez should (and will) be given the chance to complete the job this season. If we finish outside the playoffs I think he'll be sacked - and then TTA will need to consider all the options. The downside of course is that if we do finish outside the playoffs we know for sure that the budget for next season will be lower - and that will include the manager's wage.

Guest sheridans_world
It's all about opinions. And I can see there's more to your wish to bring Joe back than just sentimentality.

As far as the poll goes, I voted keep Shez on the assumption you mean NOW. Shez should (and will) be given the chance to complete the job this season. If we finish outside the playoffs I think he'll be sacked - and then TTA will need to consider all the options. The downside of course is that if we do finish outside the playoffs we know for sure that the budget for next season will be lower - and that will include the manager's wage.

Not too sure about this, its a well known fact that Ronnie Moore and Breckin were on a shed load more than Shez.

Think about it, someone who has only ever been a coach, will have been a fairly cheap appointment.

If we finish outside the top 6, Shez will be walking, I have no doubt about that.

Cheers,

Harry

P*** OFF HARRY.

Cheers,

Harry

I have been shouting this for a while now -

The big problem we have at BP is that when we dont go up this year our gates are going to go worse next season -

I have been a S/T holder for 40 years and even i am getting fed up with seeing the same old teams week in and week out.

Without Championship ganmes next season the gates will be down to average 4000.

Get big Joe back in and even if not successful this season i think we could guarentee average of 6000 next season even in this league one.

Also as you say we are now down to a 10 game season and even if we do scrape into the play offs we wont win them. Big Joe will give us the boost we need and we may even make automatic.

We have nothing to lose because to do nothing will mean same league one next season and even worsde crowds.

P*** OFF HARRY.

i have thought long and hard about this....

and although joe had a keen eye for a bargain and could get the best out of what seemed like ordinary players with the odd exception..

i would much prefer to leave the past where it is,and not tarnish what will always be oldhams glory years

the euphoria of big joe sweeping back in and putting things right would be good for a couple of games,the players respect would be there from the off,but if it went tits up and ends with us still missing out on playoffs,then the critisiscm from the fans would be worse than what we have at the moment,tta's would be targeted for getting rid of shez for an old has been whos football brain is stuck in 1990's and could very well see them finally lose patience and leave,which would in turn leave is up the proverbial with nothing.

although a lot of frustration and anger is creeping into bp under the current manager,i honestly believe they wont act until end of the season.

i would then approach jim gannon,who is the modern day equivilent to big joe....he manages to build a decent team on a shoe string budget and doesnt use tried and tested players,prefers to produce a side full of raw talent energy and pace.

nice idea harry boy but dont think its workable.

P*** OFF HARRY.

No Flytrap I won't.

I've supported this club for 40+ years, gone all over the country watching them. I don't boo the team, I don't slag players off like some kn*bs, I don't leave games early, I'm passionate about everything OAFC. I supported Shez's appointment and still believe at the time it was the right thing to do after the Talbot and M**re appointments.

However, I am now of the opinion that a change is needed, not because JS is a crap manager because that is not the case. But because I now firmly believe that he will not get us promoted this season and financially that will be disastrous next season, when the economic crisis in the country and in America will have a severe impact on our budget. Yes other clubs face problems, but ours are 2 fold. The problem here will affect all clubs, but the problems in America will restrict the income provided by TTA and therefore reduce our budget even more. Thats why it is so important to get up this season, becuase promotion would bring bigger gates and add over £2 million more in TV income and give us a chance to stabalise at a higher level like Blackpool and Doncaster.

Do you think that JS can achieve this? If so great if not, it is likely to mean more than 1 more season in this league with attendances plummeting and the consequent cut in player budget reducing further our chances of achieving promotion.

My biggets wish is that if TTA stick with JS, he gets us up. He was a good player for us and very responsible for us not being relegated when Ritchie brought him in and I would love him to succeed. However IMO I cannot see him doing it.

Only my opinion like.

Cheers,

Harry

No Flytrap I won't.

I've supported this club for 40+ years, gone all over the country watching them. I don't boo the team, I don't slag players off like some kn*bs, I don't leave games early, I'm passionate about everything OAFC. I supported Shez's appointment and still believe at the time it was the right thing to do after the Talbot and M**re appointments.

However, I am now of the opinion that a change is needed, not because JS is a crap manager because that is not the case. But because I now firmly believe that he will not get us promoted this season and financially that will be disastrous next season, when the economic crisis in the country and in America will have a severe impact on our budget. Yes other clubs face problems, but ours are 2 fold. The problem here will affect all clubs, but the problems in America will restrict the income provided by TTA and therefore reduce our budget even more. Thats why it is so important to get up this season, becuase promotion would bring bigger gates and add over £2 million more in TV income and give us a chance to stabalise at a higher level like Blackpool and Doncaster.

Do you think that JS can achieve this? If so great if not, it is likely to mean more than 1 more season in this league with attendances plummeting and the consequent cut in player budget reducing further our chances of achieving promotion.

My biggets wish is that if TTA stick with JS, he gets us up. He was a good player for us and very responsible for us not being relegated when Ritchie brought him in and I would love him to succeed. However IMO I cannot see him doing it.

Only my opinion like.

Cheers,

Harry

Harry that puts the whole situation at BP in a nut-shell for me. I Have been supporting the Latics for 38 years and don't want to go back to pre-Joe gloom.

The only thing I would add is that Shez does not have any experience to confide in or guide him when he needs it most... Now. Its not every day you lead a team like Latics to the brink of the play-offs - let alone to promotion via the play-offs. They are 2 different things by the way.

Maybe Big Joe would be a good appointment as a mentor to Shez as Shez now needs someone to help him close the season off in a satisfactory manner from all our view points. Shez needs help not the sack and we will then have a valuable manager on our hands. We need to remember Shez is new to this and we are in a win or bust - like position.

Edited by dazlatic

Shez has done a decent job as manager of Latics. Unfortunately in football you dont get anywhere in doing a decent job as manager ( Avram Grant is the perfect example).

I can't see Shez taking us to the next level, so do we leave it and take a chance for the rest of this season more in hope than expectation that we make the playoffs or do we make the change and hope a new manager can get the players motivated and better prepared to have a good go at making them? Also a manger who has a bit more adventure in him with his team selections, tactics and substitutions.

I don't really know what would be best but i cannot see Shez being here come august.

The other problem we have got is entertainment value -

Being in the top 4 wont make any difference to crowds if we don't put up a show for the money.

Besides Stockport game you have to go back to October and Scunthorpe to find a game worth paying to watch.

Even the games we have won at home ie Walsall , etc have been absolutely dire even for the hardy fans to endure.

Maybe our expectations are higher for us older fans after years in the doldrums then the Big Joe years but i am getting fed up with the cr*p served up at BP.

If i am ( And i watched Latics when they had to apply for re-election in Div 4) then others who the club are trying to entice must think no way will i pay to watch that.

Whether you like JS or not the fact is that our crowds are sh*te because our entertainment value is nil.

It is not a situation that can go on therefore change is needed.

The only 2 options that will help to get crowds back is

A/ -promotion or

B/- a new manager that can take us to the next level.

As option one is becoming more of a distinct possibility with each game then option 2 must come in.

The sooner the better or next eason will bring about the same old cr*p and the same poor crowds.

Then what will the TTA do ??????????

Guest sheridans_world

Wow, amazing how this poll has turned out, at the moment, its fairly neck and neck with all options.

Shez has done a decent job as manager of Latics. Unfortunately in football you dont get anywhere in doing a decent job as manager ( Avram Grant is the perfect example).

I can't see Shez taking us to the next level, so do we leave it and take a chance for the rest of this season more in hope than expectation that we make the playoffs or do we make the change and hope a new manager can get the players motivated and better prepared to have a good go at making them? Also a manger who has a bit more adventure in him with his team selections, tactics and substitutions.

I don't really know what would be best but i cannot see Shez being here come august.

To add to that, alot of the players here, including Sheridans favourites, will be playing for a contract too. Remember John Eyre, was a firm favourite under Talbot yet as soon as Ronnie came in we didnt see him again. Any new manager could just was easilly turn round to gregan, Whittaker, Allott, Crossley, into the office in may

"Sorry son but your not in my plans, tell your agent to find you another club"

No Flytrap I won't.

Only my opinion like.

Cheers,

Harry

If like has been suggested there is trouble behind the scenes then the appointment of big Joe for the run in would be a great idea...it could just give the players and fans a boost when it is obviously needed.

I loved Shez the player, but Shez the manager, ( For a whole lot of reasons ) has lost the respect of some of the players and I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance of promotion the way things are at the moment.

Even if Big Joe took over team affairs until the end of the season and managed to get us up he could then go back in to retirement or even stay on as D.O.F or whatever as his experience would be invaluable to a new manager.

Even if Joe came and failed I don't think he would be blamed by the fans...it would be a massive boost just to have him here because if we just carry on as we are and do nothing, we won't be going up anyway.....simple as!!