1. 1. Bring back Royle

• Stay with Shez
    • Sack Shez Bring Back Royle
    • Sack Shez, don't bring back Royle, bring in another manager

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you take 3 words out of my posts on this thread and use that against me. Wow!

Read my posts in full. I suggested Royle because 1) he knows the club inside out, 2) has a track record of success 3) He is available 4) Would provide an initial spark to most fans and possibly the lapsed supporters.

So no its not that simple, but better than any argument you have put forward in the debate. If however you want to put something more "simple" forward, I would be interested to hear.

By the way, if you care to read any of my previoius 400+ posts, you would see that I would normally be termed as a "happy clapper."

The simple fact is that I have majpr concerns about the future of the club and in those circumstances, I believe that is more important than support in the (very) short term for the current manager.

Cheers,

Harry

ok.

sorry mate :unsure:

Delfer, I'm not one to agree with Corporal and if you searched back 2 to 3 months on here you will find that I vowed not to reply to any of his future posts on the basis that he always has to have the last word and ususally in a negative way, so as a "happy clapper"I saw no need to feed his habit.

However, to use Beagrie and Birtles to discredit his point is not IMO helpful to your cause.

I like both as commentators and they were of course decent players, but like Shearer and Hansen on motd, neither have done anything other than be players or pundits (although I understand Beagrie did a limited amount of coaching at Scunthorpe.)

They talk a good talk, but they don't and never have had to do what a manager has to in producing a competetive team, i.e. scoutting coaching, formulating tactics, signing players, understanding budgets, dealing with club execs and owners etc, etc etc. Whilst both have spent their working lives in football, it is in a limited capacity and the point they make is easy sat on a tv gantry or in a studio. We can all agree that Shez has done a decent job based on our crowds, but do Beagrie and Birtles really know what additional financial support TTA have added to the managers pot? I suspect they don't

Cheers,

Harry

edit: Dam he beat me to it :grin:

I understand what you're saying but given our crowds I just think our expectations are too bloody high. We're over achieving as it is. I'm getting more and more pessimistic, I really do think that this is as good as it's gonna get and looking at some of the comments on here probably what we deserve!

Now some idiot will tell me I'm a happy clapper!!

By the way, Joe Royle was a legend here...

Let him stay a legend, look at Windass! (If he'd retired as he should have after Hull's play-off campaign, he'd have been a legend forever, and had a little glistening thing on the end of his career which everyone remembered... imagine if Royle c**ked it up big time?!)

KTF

Joe

Shez in!!

If we were to sack shez and put JR in charge for the remaining fixtures the ‘Honeymoon’ Period alone would take us into the playoffs.

Having Joe Royle until the end of the season gives TTA time to assess the situation from now until then and pre-season if needs be, lets face it isn’t much of a gamble.

This is the first time I have started a poll and I have to say the voting has surprised me.

I honestly thought that there would be more support for Shez and that I may be more criticised for being emotional after a poor performance, particularly today after people had had a nights sleep and time to reflect. I think it does show though that the tide is turning and Shez is losing the fans as I'm sure if this poll had been run in October/November the result would have been the other way round.

I can't really see tta changing things now and I do hope that the manager can take us up. I just wish that he could get the team back to playing the way they did during his first 6 months in charge, where the football was the most enjoyable of the last decade.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Harry

This is the first time I have started a poll and I have to say the voting has surprised me.

I honestly thought that there would be more support for Shez and that I may be more criticised for being emotional after a poor performance, particularly today after people had had a nights sleep and time to reflect. I think it does show though that the tide is turning and Shez is losing the fans as I'm sure if this poll had been run in October/November the result would have been the other way round.

I can't really see tta changing things now and I do hope that the manager can take us up. I just wish that he could get the team back to playing the way they did during his first 6 months in charge, where the football was the most enjoyable of the last decade.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Harry

Sorry H I'm surprised you're surprised! It was a very provocative poll to run and I'm amazed that Shez to stay is the most popular option, just!

I think I'll give this board a rest until the end of the season - it's depressed me today.

Good luck!

I spoke with Royle late last year.

It's a no I'm afraid. We're far too small for him. If he was to have one last crack it'd "have to be the right club"

Really? Do you know him well? Or was this a 'I bumped into Royle and asked him if he'd come back to Latics conversation'? I know for a fact that he was on the short list for the Huddersfield job and would have given it serious thought if offered. And the fact I'm using the word 'fact' makes this a fact that you can't argue with: MEDICAL FACT.

If Royle were offered the job he would have a jolly good think about it and Latics have more 'right club' about them than most in Joe's eyes.

If we were to sack shez and put JR in charge for the remaining fixtures the ‘Honeymoon’ Period alone would take us into the playoffs.

Having Joe Royle until the end of the season gives TTA time to assess the situation from now until then and pre-season if needs be, lets face it isn’t much of a gamble.

how do you know it would.....what is to say that he comes in and the god awfull play continues and we miss out....he would just walk away then saying well at least we gave it a go.

football has changed a lot since he last managed,i wouldnt want him to fall flat on his arse and end up being remembered for that instead of the great job he actually did at this club.

i agree anybody coming in now gives tta's time to assess the situation and put feelers out for who could possibly come and do the job properly

i think the suggestion of Joe Royle really is ridiculous.

some people are living in the past.

as ive posted in the past joe royle is not up to managing again, he is not well enough for the day to day rigours of a managing football club

Really? Do you know him well? Or was this a 'I bumped into Royle and asked him if he'd come back to Latics conversation'? I know for a fact that he was on the short list for the Huddersfield job and would have given it serious thought if offered. And the fact I'm using the word 'fact' makes this a fact that you can't argue with: MEDICAL FACT.

If Royle were offered the job he would have a jolly good think about it and Latics have more 'right club' about them than most in Joe's eyes.

A "jolly" good think about it huh? OK, you seem to be in the know far more than me.

Evidently, "from the horses mouth" isnt good enough for you.

The fact that he was on the short list (a short list compiled by Huddersfield) for the Huddersfield job means what exactly? My take on it is that they were considering HIM, not the other way round........fact.

I think you may be suffering from a touch of the "Rafas"

I understand what you're saying but given our crowds I just think our expectations are too bloody high. We're over achieving as it is. I'm getting more and more pessimistic, I really do think that this is as good as it's gonna get and looking at some of the comments on here probably what we deserve!

Now some idiot will tell me I'm a happy clapper!!

I wish people wouldn't keep saying that this is as good as it gets, as if a future of hovering around the play-off places is guaranteed, and talking as if bad attendances limit the clubs progress instead of limited progress over recent years decimating the hardcore fanbase, as we are seeing.

Without progress further decline beckons. Nothing else. Really.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I wish people wouldn't keep saying that this is as good as it gets, as if a future of hovering around the play-off places is guaranteed, and talking as if bad attendances limit the clubs progress instead of limited progress over recent years decimating the hardcore fanbase, as we are seeing.

Without progress further decline beckons. Nothing else. Really.

I'd never looked at it like that. :(

I'd never looked at it like that. :(

If more and more people, as it seems, are getting disillusioned and picking and choosing their games, or even stopping attending BP at all after years or decades of doing so, despite being in the play-off places all season, think what the effect of a cut budget and an end to any serious promotion challenge looks likely to do to the club (even leaving aside the effects of the economic crisis). It might be fair to say that other clubs of a similar size to us will likely cut their budgets to a similar level, but I've a feeling that these will end up concentrated in mid-table and below (unless they have an exceptionally skilled management team).

Given our recent history, this club probably needs promotion more desperately than any other club in the division.

A "jolly" good think about it huh? OK, you seem to be in the know far more than me.

Correct.

Evidently, "from the horses mouth" isnt good enough for you.

I heard something entirely different. And unless you are actually Royle typing under the pseudonym 'roytoner', then what you post on here and attribute to Royle is not "from the horses mouth".

The fact that he was on the short list (a short list compiled by Huddersfield) for the Huddersfield job means what exactly? My take on it is that they were considering HIM, not the other way round........fact.

Incorrect.

I think you may be suffering from a touch of the "Rafas"

Possibly. There's also the possibility that we are both wrong.

Edited by Jumping Jimmy Thunder

It always looks like a great idea at the time doesn't it? You know, the returning legend of Andy Goram... Tommy Wright coming back for his second spell... Neil Adams... and then after 2 minutes you realise they're older, slower, crapper and more bemusing. It's truly horrible to see a former legend fail when he returns for a second time. Leave it be.

If Royle came back and we went up he'd be even more of a hero. If he came in and we didn't make the play offs lets face it it would still be seen as Shez's fault. Unless we can get Jim Gannon straight away then I'd go for Big Joe on a temporary basis and see how he goes.

If Royle came back and we went up he'd be even more of a hero. If he came in and we didn't make the play offs lets face it it would still be seen as Shez's fault. Unless we can get Jim Gannon straight away then I'd go for Big Joe on a temporary basis and see how he goes.

as oldham fans i sure everyone one would love royles return, the buzz it would create would be fantastic and it would give everyone a lift

but i wouldnt want the record or memory of oldhams greatest manager ever tarnished.

and if he returned i am afraid thats how it would turn out.

but i wouldnt want the record or memory of oldhams greatest manager ever tarnished.

and if he returned i am afraid thats how it would turn out.

How would it? It wouldn't be seen as down to him if we finish out side of the play offs, its Shez's team and Shez has put us into a position were the playoffs are looking an outside bet (players are also to blame) and the dressing room is split. If we get to the play offs or even get promoted then all the praise would be on Joe, I don't think he can lose.

Apparently there is a drinking culture at the club...isn't that one of the reasons City got rid of Royle?

Big Joe is a legend. Lets leave it at that. No point in going back, lets look forward.

Personally, I'd stick with Shez, but I think he is a goner at the end of the season.