Bring back Royle

228 members have voted

1. 1. Bring back Royle

• Stay with Shez
    • Sack Shez Bring Back Royle
    • Sack Shez, don't bring back Royle, bring in another manager

There's no chance joe royle would come back. There's nothing in it for him at all. Agree that if we don't go up shez is gone in summer. I'm not someone who usually calls for a manager's head but the most frustrating part of this season is that we've seen how well we can play. Some days the team don't seem to be properly motivated. There's only one person responsible for motivating the team and he doesn't seem to be capable of doing it consistently.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see Big Joe back at the helm having grown up with him in charge and the glorious late 80's/early 90's...but if we are thinking of returning managers should we not be more realistic and knock on the door of Andy Ritchie? Not only does he have Latics in his blood, but he also has experience of getting into and promotion from the play offs.

I would love to see Big Joe back at the helm having grown up with him in charge and the glorious late 80's/early 90's...but if we are thinking of returning managers should we not be more realistic and knock on the door of Andy Ritchie? Not only does he have Latics in his blood, but he also has experience of getting into and promotion from the play offs.

How about a Joe Royle / Andy Ritchie management team.......Now that really would wet the supporters appetite and give an immediate boost to our attendances!!

How about a Joe Royle / Andy Ritchie management team.......Now that really would wet the supporters appetite and give an immediate boost to our attendances!!

For the first game maybe until we serve up the same :censored:e football. Its still gonna be League 1 however you try and gloss it over.

While Shez has his failings its not all his fault, the players are not good enough too. Royle and Ritchie would not suddenly make us certs to go up and it would be a shame to tarnish their legendary status. Football has changed since Royle was a successful manager and Ritchie was IMO not that great first time around.

For the first game maybe until we serve up the same :censored:e football. Its still gonna be League 1 however you try and gloss it over.

While Shez has his failings its not all his fault, the players are not good enough too. Royle and Ritchie would not suddenly make us certs to go up and it would be a shame to tarnish their legendary status. Football has changed since Royle was a successful manager and Ritchie was IMO not that great first time around.

But he had nothing to work with first time round, a lot of us were overly harsh on Stich's managerial abilities but looking back almost a decade later - the guy worked miracles. Look at where most of that squad ended up...non-league or out of football completely, that surely is testament to the guys achievements - keeping a team of rag, tags and bobtails' head above water for three seasons of little or no investment, if the rumours were to be believed we did not pay a signing on fee during that time part of the reason why nobody would ever sign for us and he still managed to bring in the calibre of Shez, Dux and Eyres oh and Adams.

Stitch has learnt a lot since, he will no longer be the players' mate either...Older and wiser with a promotion and experience of managing in the league above under his belt.

[/b]

But he had nothing to work with first time round, a lot of us were overly harsh on Stich's managerial abilities but looking back almost a decade later - the guy worked miracles. Look at where most of that squad ended up...non-league or out of football completely, that surely is testament to the guys achievements - keeping a team of rag, tags and bobtails' head above water for three seasons of little or no investment, if the rumours were to be believed we did not pay a signing on fee during that time part of the reason why nobody would ever sign for us and he still managed to bring in the calibre of Shez, Dux and Eyres oh and Adams.

Stitch has learnt a lot since, he will no longer be the players' mate either...Older and wiser with a promotion and experience of managing in the league above under his belt.

i appreciate the point you are making but adams, eyres, and shez where all late 30's nearing the end of careers, thats why we could sign them

dux was signed by warnock

Edited by palmer1

It's pretty obvious that this team plays when it feels like it and with all the in house problems lately I think a Royle / Ritchie introduction could just give us a boost when we obviously need it...They should at the very least command the respect of the players and that would be a start.

Anybody who falls out of line would be out on their ear!!! I'm not saying they would guarantee promotion but it would certainly increase the interest of the fans and God knows we need that at the moment!!!

[/b]

Why are we talking about bringing in a new manager? If it's to get promoted or secure a play off spot then an impact manager who can wring decent performances out of a talented squad - min 5 wins from 10 games - is what is required. I'm not sure Ritchie is that guy. Dowie/Ince on the other hand might be detestable but are a good example of the type of manager needed to give the squad some discipline and desire.

If it's a manager to replace Shez long term it's a different requirement - might as well let Shez's contract expire as the season is a write off and whoever comes in would dismantle the squad and start again.

i have thought long and hard about this....

i would then approach jim gannon,who is the modern day equivilent to big joe....he manages to build a decent team on a shoe string budget and doesnt use tried and tested players,prefers to produce a side full of raw talent energy and pace.

I've joined this thread late, trying to read to my way through it but saw this post & have posted on it.

Have to say i agree 100% in this sentiment, for me Shez has run his course. I was ahppy to give him the whole of this season as i final 'do something to get us out of this league'...but it's not going to hapen is it?

Shez unfortunatley has to be added to the long list of great players who just don't cut it as managers. Top top midfielder & a joy to watch when he was with us - but he just doesn't have it as a manager i'm afraid.

Too many mistakes are made time & again; not learned from. Too many selection & formation decisions are just plain wrong. Too many loan deals have proved to be poor. Too many players have been signed & then payed off after turning out to be duck-eggs. Too many mistakes to mount & then maintain a promotion push.

The team is rudderless; lacking a leader off the pitch (and on the pitch too while we're at it!) who can motivate & steer into 2nd spot (as Leicester are just too consistently good & will win the league easily)

I said a week ago that Jim Gannon turning down Brighton was 'interesting'. As Stocky are fianancially fooked; then surely a large wage offer & the (relative) security of a 2/3 deal at Brighton would be a big draw; unless he has something in the pipe line that hasn't come out yet........

I for one think that he is a realistic target for a new manager & someone that could do exactly what we need to do. Steady the ship - work with what is here & get the best out of it, promote from the youth & use the kids willingly - and unearth players from leagues which we haven't tapped into (Eircom league of Ireland for instance). Also, Gannon was a tough as ol boots player; and i see that trate has followed him into his management style; i believe he'd sort out the supposed disipline problems in no time at all.

Shez.....thanks........but i think your time is up as you just don't have 'it'. A new approach if definately needed & i believe appointing Jim Gannon would be a realistic & sensible decision all around.

On the question of bringing back Royle, should the TTA decide on a change in management. The nostalgia in me says absolutely, if he is willing. The pro's being

1. It's only 10 games...13 maximum.

2. I reckon he'd command more respect from the senior players who know his pedigree.

3. Younger lads who've come through the ranks and have supported the club will respect him(Taylor will likely faint).

4. He has no transfer or loan funds, what he has is what he has.

5. The TTA have plenty of time to decide on a new manager for next season.

6. It will easily add 2K on to the gate. Another bonus for the TTA.

Cons

1. If it doesn't add 2K to the gate, then if Joe Royle coming back to the club cannt entice fans, then nothing will.

2. We still don't go up, but the way I see it, people will still blame Shez.

3. We don't go up, meaning we have to sell our best squad player, thus putting us back another 5 years in this division.

4. The players play as badly as they did against Colchester and fans amongst us realise that Shez is not as bad as some people first thought and it really is the players not pulling their weight.

It's pretty obvious that this team plays when it feels like it and with all the in house problems lately I think a Royle / Ritchie introduction could just give us a boost when we obviously need it...They should at the very least command the respect of the players and that would be a start.

Anybody who falls out of line would be out on their ear!!! I'm not saying they would guarantee promotion but it would certainly increase the interest of the fans and God knows we need that at the moment!!!

I grinned when I read this post as it would be pretty amazing to see that partnership.

I do, however, think we should stick with Shez, but he could perhaps get on a phone to Big Joe at this crucial time of the season. A bit of advice wouldnt go a miss.

If we were to get rid of Shez, I believe Joe would be able to guarantee the playoffs. We would have that buzz around the place again.

As some have said 'will Shez get another deal at the end of the season if he stays?' - Id like to point out Shez has a deal to 2010 along with Tommy. So his time wouldnt be up contractually for another season. He signed a 3 year deal at the end of his first season in charge.

Also to point out - Joe has not retired, merely not found a club. I cant remember the source to link directly but I am aware that he said at a recent dinner that he would like one last job in management but he is running out of teams in blue left to manage! :wink: