Gregan Drink Driving - All Charges Dropped

Guest sheridans_world

Not got away with it yet, the CPS have not ruled out Appealing against the JP's decision. I for one hope that they do appeal and are successfull in the appeal.

Drink Driving is one of the lowest things that a person can do. Everybody has a choice and Gregan's was to go out and have a few beers the night before, in the full knowledge he had a long(ish) trip to make the morning after. He made that choice and then made the Choice to drive the morning after again in the full knowledge that he could still be over the limit.

IMHO he deserves to be banned for 6 Months, that might teach him a lesson. He only has to look at his team mates and players from other clubs to see the devistation drink driving can cause. Nobody should ever get away with it.

I am a firm believer that the limit should be 0. Everybody has been or knows somebody who has been effected by the actions of a drink driver.

The choice is easy don't drink or have a pint and risk ruining somebodys life/family.

Do you ever:-

Drive whilst you have the flu?

Or whilst on a mobile (handsfree)?

Or above the speed limit?

Or whilst stressed?

Do you

I defy anyone who says that I would not be fit enough to drive my car at 9.00am after 5 pints the night before with a 11.00pm finish, nevermind 4! it's utter rubbish. I can promise you this, more out and out bad drivers will kill others in far greater numbers than the likes of me in my given senario. Get off ya boxes folks. Ones things for sure, if those drivers in my given senario are so deadly as being stated christ knows how many deaths every local rag would be reporting on.

I defy anyone who says that I would not be fit enough to drive my car at 9.00am after 5 pints the night before with a 11.00pm finish, nevermind 4! it's utter rubbish. I can promise you this, more out and out bad drivers will kill others in far greater numbers than the likes of me in my given senario. Get off ya boxes folks. Ones things for sure, if those drivers in my given senario are so deadly as being stated christ knows how many deaths every local rag would be reporting on.

More importantly mate..........what does Hells Bells look like in the flesh??

thanks - am quite familiar with the photo's :blush:

But they can be enhanced lets say. seeing someone in the flesh is the best call

OK, she actually looks better in the flesh than on screen. She's very softly spoken so her mic level must be turned up. She carries herself with an air confidence off camera and moves around whilst holding a pose of grace if you know what I mean. Yet after the show was very approachable and chatty and more than happy to get up close for pictures etc.

Also baby Elvis will have footage on his mobile fone that I doubt will ever see the light of day outside the Soccer AM studio's. After the show lets say Helen was bent over the back of the sofa retrieving something from the back and an eyeful was to be had. Yes, on Helen returning upright and forward again she noticed!

I think she will think I am very camp and gay with Jacko kissing me at every opportunity the DICK!

Edited by Lags

Completely agree. For a regular bloke that wouldn't make a blind but of difference. If the one unit per hour thing were true then some of us would still be pissed on Wednesday afternoon after a big Saturday away match session.Whilst drink driving is a bad thing, and its a good thing that people are aware that they can still be pissed in the morning, there is an element of hysteriaq in the debate these days, much as there is in anything to do with drinking (ie "binge drinking" no longer means a 16 year old swigging 9 alcopops in a happy hour but someone having 1 3/4 glasses of wine at home).

Meh. I'm happy Gregan got let off (because he plays for Oldham) on a technicality (although well done the organisation responsible for the cock up what a waste of money). Drink driving is one of those things that I'm against but I will hold my hands up and say I've driven whilst still over the limit from the night before and I think a lot of people do but I would never go out have a few too many and drive home. But then again I drive over the speed limit on motorways (I'm a firm believer that the bloke driving at 50mph in a normal car is more dangerous than me driving at 80- inappropriate speed kills not excessive speed and this can go both ways). A standard rule of thumb for processing alcohol is 1 unit an hour- some people will process it quicker (but not that much) and some people will process it slower (but not that much). Things that will affect how you process alcohol include your drinking experience, your size, any medication you are on (and paracetamol is definately inculded along with aspirin- they will slow down how quickly you process booze). Before they weakened it a pint of stella was 3 units, a pint of boddies 2, a bottle of wine can be up to 14, a glass of wine can be up to 4 (for a big glass) and 2 for the small, a standard spirit is 1 for a single and more if its something like smirnoff blue which is stronger. Some people might drive better when they've got some alcohol in their system because they are more relaxed but almost everyone doesn't. Tiredness is also a factor and should never be underestimated. If you want to run the risk of driving whilst over the limit then that's your perogative but don't come crying if you get nicked and don't like the consequences.

Given that he was only just over the limit and the police said at the time that he wasn't driving erratically or speeding when he was pulled over,the magistrate probably thought it wasn't really in the public interest to spend however much it would cost to rearrange the court hearing.

It's unbelieveable that the judge wouldn't adjourn...how many criminals have got off coz the judge hasn't adjourned then? The systems more f***** up than I thought! Wonder if Gregan has learned his lesson???

It's more important that the system works impartially and fairly even if the odd person gets off than for innocent people (which, let's not forget, everyone is until proven guilty) to be kept hanging at the beck and call of the prosecution. You are accused, a date is set, they either prove the accusation at the date the court sets or they don't. An innocent Englishman doesn't have to be kept hanging on his future because some half-arsed official can't do his job properly and sort out when the evidence will be needed. Rules like this exist because without them the adjournment powers would be misused, Bring a case if there is a crime, if not the accused walks without a legal blemish on their record.

It's more important that the system works impartially and fairly even if the odd person gets off than for innocent people (which, let's not forget, everyone is until proven guilty) to be kept hanging at the beck and call of the prosecution. You are accused, a date is set, they either prove the accusation at the date the court sets or they don't. An innocent Englishman doesn't have to be kept hanging on his future because some half-arsed official can't do his job properly and sort out when the evidence will be needed. Rules like this exist because without them the adjournment powers would be misused, Bring a case if there is a crime, if not the accused walks without a legal blemish on their record.

Yeah, it is up to being proven guilty but when the evidence is there to decide one way or the other, it should presented. If that means using the rule of adjournment under circumstances like this one for Gregan, then so be it. As someone else above has said, if the person on trial was violent or potential threat to society then I'm certain it would've been adjourned. Yet the same question applies...has the defendant broken the law or not?

Yeah, it is up to being proven guilty but when the evidence is there to decide one way or the other, it should presented. If that means using the rule of adjournment under circumstances like this one for Gregan, then so be it. As someone else above has said, if the person on trial was violent or potential threat to society then I'm certain it would've been adjourned. Yet the same question applies...has the defendant broken the law or not?

If it was for a stabbing or similar I dare say it might have been adjourned, or at least dealt with properly in the first case. In countries where they don't benefit from the level of freedoms which we still hang on to in this country then the police or prosecuting authorities might be able to keep people hanging for several years, sometimes just because it suits them for their own reasons. We still have a better system, where we set the rules as they have seemed best over the past 700 years and I hope we are strong enough not to let hard cases make bad laws.

If it was for a stabbing or similar I dare say it might have been adjourned, or at least dealt with properly in the first case. In countries where they don't benefit from the level of freedoms which we still hang on to in this country then the police or prosecuting authorities might be able to keep people hanging for several years, sometimes just because it suits them for their own reasons. We still have a better system, where we set the rules as they have seemed best over the past 700 years and I hope we are strong enough not to let hard cases make bad laws.

I do agree with that to a point...I just don't think there should be any difference be it a stabbing or a drink driving case. That adjournment should have been made IMO and the case come to a conclusion. If he wasn't guilty, good. Likewise if he was, good...the judicial system would've seen it through. Oh well...as I say, just hope he's learnt his lesson. And also, from the footballing point of view, it's a shame he's been a small part of why our season went to :censored: from Hartlepool on...

Edited by boundaryblue80

I do agree with that to a point...I just don't think there should be any difference be it a stabbing or a drink driving case. That adjournment should have been made IMO and the case come to a conclusion. If he wasn't guilty, good. Likewise if he was, good...the judicial system would've seen it through. Oh well...as I say, just hope he's learnt his lesson. And also, from the footballing point of view, it's a shame he's been a small part of why our season went to :censored: from Hartlepool on...

On the legal point of things - think of the McCanns, with some dodgy prosecutor keeping them in the dock long after there was a decent case. You can't do that in England, we have a different legal system. If the prosecution can't present a reason to keep you, you walk, simple. God only knows how many people would spend an extra month in goal without conviction if Dibble just had to say that he had forgotten a piece of paper.

Otherwise, I agree. He clearly went to :censored: around the time of it happening, and it was one thing that Shez got right to take him out but put him back in sooner rather than later. If he is right he can shape up and do another season for us, but he has to be right for it.

On the legal point of things - think of the McCanns, with some dodgy prosecutor keeping them in the dock long after there was a decent case. You can't do that in England, we have a different legal system. If the prosecution can't present a reason to keep you, you walk, simple. God only knows how many people would spend an extra month in goal without conviction if Dibble just had to say that he had forgotten a piece of paper.

Otherwise, I agree. He clearly went to :censored: around the time of it happening, and it was one thing that Shez got right to take him out but put him back in sooner rather than later. If he is right he can shape up and do another season for us, but he has to be right for it.

Sorry, but Shez acted far too late...he'd been shocking in a number of games before...at fault for several goals. Away at The Gas (their 2nd) and Swindon he was very poor (comes stupidly rushing out to tackle for 1st and leaves us utterly exposed). Was lucky to keep his place vs Scunny IMO, not Shez's though. We comfortable beat them and then he was a joke vs Yeovil at home. At fault for both goals. How he started at Chelts in cup, I've no idea and then after giving away a pen and just looking as bad as Lord Kangana (he was that bad that day!) Shez had no option but to haul his sorry arse off.

Gladly, it did the trick a bit. Away at Udders was a return to the Gregan we know and he kept it up for a bit. Worryingly though, the defence still leaked goals. And at times, he does get very well beaten for pace. I personally would ship Gregan out in the summer...on his day, he's a great player. His days are fewer and far between and he is the bully we all know him to be. He certainly ain't a captain in my eyes...for me, it's a bit like Lids was last season in that the writing of his decline is already written on the wall. He's only going to go one way in the season following, as Lids always was going to be. For Greegs...i'd be saying thanks, but so long!

Sorry, but Shez acted far too late...he'd been shocking in a number of games before...at fault for several goals. Away at The Gas (their 2nd) and Swindon he was very poor (comes stupidly rushing out to tackle for 1st and leaves us utterly exposed). Was lucky to keep his place vs Scunny IMO, not Shez's though. We comfortable beat them and then he was a joke vs Yeovil at home. At fault for both goals. How he started at Chelts in cup, I've no idea and then after giving away a pen and just looking as bad as Lord Kangana (he was that bad that day!) Shez had no option but to haul his sorry arse off.

Gladly, it did the trick a bit. Away at Udders was a return to the Gregan we know and he kept it up for a bit. Worryingly though, the defence still leaked goals. And at times, he does get very well beaten for pace. I personally would ship Gregan out in the summer...on his day, he's a great player. His days are fewer and far between and he is the bully we all know him to be. He certainly ain't a captain in my eyes...for me, it's a bit like Lids was last season in that the writing of his decline is already written on the wall. He's only going to go one way in the season following, as Lids always was going to be. For Greegs...i'd be saying thanks, but so long!

Hope you're wrong, I reckon 1 more season - and I think Joe will think the same