Gregan Drink Driving - All Charges Dropped

Guest sheridans_world

Guest sheridans_world

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-featu...-drinkdrive-rap

Oldham Athletic's captain Sean Gregan avoided a charge for drink-driving on a motorway in Rochdale after a key witness failed to turn up to court.

The League One defender had denied driving under the influence of excess alcohol.

It was alleged he was driving a Volkswagon Golf under the influence of alcohol on the M62, near Rochdale, on 3 October last year.

He returned a positive breath test and his urine sample uncovered that he had 109 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of urine - the legal maximum is 107mg.

Gregan could have been banned from driving for a year or even left facing a six month prison sentence but the analyst who tested Gregan's urine sample was away on holiday after only being told he needed to be in court last week. The charges against Gregan were withdrawn after Magistrates refused to adjourn the trial.

Gregan has made more than 600 career appearances in English football, scoring 21 goals.

He signed for Oldham Athletic on a two-and-a-half year contract in January 2007.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/new..._star_beats_ban

"My client is a man of previous good character" - hmmmm.

How come they needed the forensic analyst as a witness? Wouldn't the positive breath test and the urine test be enough to convict him? He's been very lucky, although in fairness he was only just over the limit, it's not like he drove himself home from the pub rat-arsed.

Guest sheridans_world

To be fair, everyone is entitled to a holiday, regardless of your profession. If the person in question would have been out of the country when he was informed he would have to appear, should he have been forced to fly home??

To be fair, everyone is entitled to a holiday, regardless of your profession. If the person in question would have been out of the country when he was informed he would have to appear, should he have been forced to fly home??

in that profession yes you normal have to ! Speak to my sis about it that was her job !

I think he is lucky as you say after probab y driving for an hour but saying that when breathalysed to be only 2mg over is differnt from being siginificanly over.

It happened to a friend of mine who had 3/4 of a bottle of wine with his wife with a meal at a restaurant and was pulled the next day. He lost hims job. LAte it transpired the police force quipment was fauly, be he had moved on and wanted to put it behind him having got a new job though less well paid he was happier there.

Basically the policeman said if he had breakfast he would have been OK, though medically I donlt that is right.

AS it is approx 1 unit per hour, guessing finiishing driking at 11. That is say 11 units (1 left in the system). If it was stronger lager, say stella, then that would be 4 pints the night before.

Edited by singe

I think he is lucky as you say after probab y driving for an hour but saying that when breathalysed to be only 2mg over is differnt from being siginificanly over.

It happened to a friend of mine who had 3/4 of a bottle of wine with his wife with a meal at a restaurant and was pulled the next day. He lost hims job. LAte it transpired the police force quipment was fauly, be he had moved on and wanted to put it behind him having got a new job though less well paid he was happier there.

Basically the policeman said if he had breakfast he would have been OK, though medically I donlt that is right.

AS it is approx 1 unit per hour, guessing finiishing driking at 11. That is say 11 units (1 left in the system). If it was stronger lager, say stella, then that would be 4 pints the night before.

....and this meesage has been edited? :shock:

Not got away with it yet, the CPS have not ruled out Appealing against the JP's decision. I for one hope that they do appeal and are successfull in the appeal.

Drink Driving is one of the lowest things that a person can do. Everybody has a choice and Gregan's was to go out and have a few beers the night before, in the full knowledge he had a long(ish) trip to make the morning after. He made that choice and then made the Choice to drive the morning after again in the full knowledge that he could still be over the limit.

IMHO he deserves to be banned for 6 Months, that might teach him a lesson. He only has to look at his team mates and players from other clubs to see the devistation drink driving can cause. Nobody should ever get away with it.

I am a firm believer that the limit should be 0. Everybody has been or knows somebody who has been effected by the actions of a drink driver.

The choice is easy don't drink or have a pint and risk ruining somebodys life/family.

Not got away with it yet, the CPS have not ruled out Appealing against the JP's decision. I for one hope that they do appeal and are successfull in the appeal.

Drink Driving is one of the lowest things that a person can do. Everybody has a choice and Gregan's was to go out and have a few beers the night before, in the full knowledge he had a long(ish) trip to make the morning after. He made that choice and then made the Choice to drive the morning after again in the full knowledge that he could still be over the limit.

IMHO he deserves to be banned for 6 Months, that might teach him a lesson. He only has to look at his team mates and players from other clubs to see the devistation drink driving can cause. Nobody should ever get away with it.

I am a firm believer that the limit should be 0. Everybody has been or knows somebody who has been effected by the actions of a drink driver.

The choice is easy don't drink or have a pint and risk ruining somebodys life/family.

Whiter than white?

Don't think there has ever been a more self-righteously pious comment on here as this

Whiter than white?

I can honesty say with my hand on my heart that I have never driven in the morning when I have been out the night before. My job depends on my driving licence. Just isn't worth the risk or the consequences

Just ask Douglas Graham's Family or Arron & Ben Peak's Parents or the thousands of other family's that have been devastated by drunk drivers if they think he should get away with it.

The evidence is there that he was over the limit and should have been dealt with appropitately. However he is now free to go and do it again.

I can honesty say with my hand on my heart that I have never driven in the morning when I have been out the night before. My job depends on my driving licence. Just isn't worth the risk or the consequences

Just ask Douglas Graham's Family or Arron & Ben Peak's Parents or the thousands of other family's that have been devastated by drunk drivers if they think he should get away with it.

The evidence is there that he was over the limit and should have been dealt with appropitately. However he is now free to go and do it again.

I think you should be on a law & order board mate - this is a football forum

I don't think the limit should be 0. Sherry trifle could make you over the limit. Mouthwash could.

But being honest, It has shocked me that 4 pints can make you over the limit the next day. When I was looking at the info for my earlier post ( on an NHS website) I was checking that out

It is too complicated to convert it all into units.

Each drink should say how many is likely to make you over the limit at say 9am the next day.

Guest oa_exile
I meant after you have had a couple of drinks!

Who Moi ? dont you bring me into it :disappointed:

I will let you know that I have never drank and driven in fear of spilling it :blush:

Careful with the libel!

Apprecaite what you are saying.

However, it is 11 units, not pints. It is likely to have been only 4 pints.

This is from info in the public domain.

108mg at 9am, and is stated that gernally everyone gets rid of alcohol at the same rate. 1 unit per hour.

11 hrs from a 10am finish plus one in the system. 11 units. = 4 pints of Stellas or there abouts.

Which is shocking. Not Gregan having that amount.

THat it is so few pints to take you over the edge.

It is in contect with my other post, but it is likely he only had 4 pints, I am more defending Gregan than attacking.

Apprecaite what you are saying.

However, it is 11 units, not pints. It is likely to have been only 4 pints.

This is from info in the public domain.

108mg at 9am, and is stated that gernally everyone gets rid of alcohol at the same rate. 1 unit per hour.

11 hrs from a 10am finish plus one in the system. 11 units. = 4 pints of Stellas or there abouts.

Which is shocking. Not Gregan having that amount.

THat it is so few pints to take you over the edge.

It is in contect with my other post, but it is likely he only had 4 pints, I am more defending Gregan than attacking.

Depends when you start as well of course. It's leaving from as soon as it hits your bloodstream, not from when you finish drinking.

I don't believe that everyone gets rid at 1 unit per hour either, although that's probably a fair average. A 7 stone petite lady will probably get rid at a slower rate than a 16 stone professional footballer.

For those who are whiter than white, bear in mind that the vast majority of deaths on UK roads are caused by sober people. And that even when a driver involved in an accident has been drinking, that doesn't necessarily mean that he (or she) caused the accident. It does, however, suit the authorities to publish statistics which suggest this is the case, same as they do with speeding.

Just to be clear, I don't condone drink driving or driving with excessive speed for the conditions under any circumstances.