Joe's new reign

Amen to that man.

The players/squad and mentality still remain, we are pretty well shot of any confidence we had prior to the leeds game.

It will need the summer for Joe/whoever to come in change the makeup of the squad and get a new attitude/mood going.

Joe will do it next year if given the chance im sure, he has a few decent players on which to build a decent squad.

KTF

Hear Hear! I for one am a younger fan, I was 2 when we won the 2nd div title and can therefore only 'reminise' after the pinch me years via the VHS tapes. I was taken to BP in my early days but my first memories seem to only stretch as far back as the middle of the godawful Sharpe era.

I echo previous posts saying that fans can never forget or erase what Joe achieved in the past. I am grateful to see this legend in the dugout at BP again for one. And if we finish poorly next year, we can know for a fact that we now finally genuinely have someone in charge who loves the club as much as us and is doing their upmost to achieve. Sheridan is also in that mould granted, but we will have a manager with a little more nouse than Shez had and certainly not a passing journeyman ala Moore/Talbot here for the pay packet.

Joe's proven himself post-latics. At everton, promotions at city and two playoffs in consecutive years RECENTLY at Ipswich - He has a good track record so clearly is aware of what is required in order to have the best chance of success.

So what if we dont get promotion straight away under his reign next season? We should be grateful that a Latics Legend, at his age with so many years in football behind him still has the drive and enthusiasm to get involved and if he stays on next year, get out in the piss poor oldham weather for training. Why? because he still has a drive and love for the game. He could easily retire and do the commentating but no. Oldham came calling and Joe has taken up that so far poisoned chalice and thought sod it - Ill give it a go. He has his reputation of past success on the line and if he can shrug it off and look to be the first to break the mould then surely we should?

Give the guy a few years time - dont expect miracles in his first season. The guy has made the effort to come back and will give it his all - of that we have no doubt - therefore we should cut him the slack he will require and just shutup and back the guy. He'll walk away if he knows in his heart he cant do it, lets give him the chance at that second shot.

Hear Hear! I for one am a younger fan, I was 2 when we won the 2nd div title and can therefore only 'reminise' after the pinch me years via the VHS tapes. I was taken to BP in my early days but my first memories seem to only stretch as far back as the middle of the godawful Sharpe era.

I echo previous posts saying that fans can never forget or erase what Joe achieved in the past. I am grateful to see this legend in the dugout at BP again for one. And if we finish poorly next year, we can know for a fact that we now finally genuinely have someone in charge who loves the club as much as us and is doing their upmost to achieve. Sheridan is also in that mould granted, but we will have a manager with a little more nouse than Shez had and certainly not a passing journeyman ala Moore/Talbot here for the pay packet.

Joe's proven himself post-latics. At everton, promotions at city and two playoffs in consecutive years RECENTLY at Ipswich - He has a good track record so clearly is aware of what is required in order to have the best chance of success.

So what if we dont get promotion straight away under his reign next season? We should be grateful that a Latics Legend, at his age with so many years in football behind him still has the drive and enthusiasm to get involved and if he stays on next year, get out in the piss poor oldham weather for training. Why? because he still has a drive and love for the game. He could easily retire and do the commentating but no. Oldham came calling and Joe has taken up that so far poisoned chalice and thought sod it - Ill give it a go. He has his reputation of past success on the line and if he can shrug it off and look to be the first to break the mould then surely we should?

Give the guy a few years time - dont expect miracles in his first season. The guy has made the effort to come back and will give it his all - of that we have no doubt - therefore we should cut him the slack he will require and just shutup and back the guy. He'll walk away if he knows in his heart he cant do it, lets give him the chance at that second shot.

Good post!

I would love it if the fans would "cut him the slack he will require and just shutup and back the guy", but I fear that there is too much impatience to get out of League One to do that.

Good post!

I would love it if the fans would "cut him the slack he will require and just shutup and back the guy", but I fear that there is too much impatience to get out of League One to do that.

After nearly 15 years of rubbish for the most part the impatience is understandable, and sare i say justified - it's not an indictment on the great man himself.. He will get more time and patience than anyone else would, hopefully he will understand more than most aswell what it means.... it's boring and i hope he changes it

great post

i think the game now,or to a certain extent the fan of today,fully expect a team to play like brazil and score umpteen goals a game,not concede and be promoted by the end of october,or in other words they want instant success.

we have just come out of a 3 year stint of shez in charge,with enough backing to take us up,but sadly a manager who couldnt find that final push to take us over that finishing line.

i feel if joe is given the job,and he is given the exact same backing by both the board and the fans,then he will do it,might not be next season but he will do it.

there was lots of dark days when joe was in charge last time,things didnt go our way all the time,but the one thing i do know is that joe doesnt suffer fools gladly,and he isnt affraid to change things around when its not working,and he had a keen eye for a bargain.

my own view is that we have just wasted 3 years,by appointing someone not upto the job,id like to think had we taken this step 3 years ago and got joe back then,we would probably be sat in the championship now.

With the dwindling crowds we have, can you really expect people to give it 'a few years'.

great post

i think the game now,or to a certain extent the fan of today,fully expect a team to play like brazil and score umpteen goals a game,not concede and be promoted by the end of october,or in other words they want instant success.

we have just come out of a 3 year stint of shez in charge,with enough backing to take us up,but sadly a manager who couldnt find that final push to take us over that finishing line.

i feel if joe is given the job,and he is given the exact same backing by both the board and the fans,then he will do it,might not be next season but he will do it.

there was lots of dark days when joe was in charge last time,things didnt go our way all the time,but the one thing i do know is that joe doesnt suffer fools gladly,and he isnt affraid to change things around when its not working,and he had a keen eye for a bargain.

my own view is that we have just wasted 3 years,by appointing someone not upto the job,id like to think had we taken this step 3 years ago and got joe back then,we would probably be sat in the championship now.

Thats incredibly harsh, and extremely untrue.

Thats incredibly harsh, and extremely untrue.

why is it,its my view.

we have flirted with the playoffs for 3 season and not moved on,we fall away every febuary and dont have any clue or idea how to get it back and take the final step.

the aim for sheridan was to get us promoted,and he hasnt done it,so to all extent and purposes its been 3 wasted years of mediocre football with the odd exciting performance.

this season bar the first 8 or 9 games we have been absolutely terrible,and the move to switch managers should have been made sooner,so whoever came in had a real chance to turn it around,not the 9 games scenario we now have with a disfunctional set of players who more often than not couldnt give a toss if we win lose or draw.

why is it,its my view.

we have flirted with the playoffs for 3 season and not moved on,we fall away every febuary and dont have any clue or idea how to get it back and take the final step.

the aim for sheridan was to get us promoted,and he hasnt done it,so to all extent and purposes its been 3 wasted years of mediocre football with the odd exciting performance.

this season bar the first 8 or 9 games we have been absolutely terrible,and the move to switch managers should have been made sooner,so whoever came in had a real chance to turn it around,not the 9 games scenario we now have with a disfunctional set of players who more often than not couldnt give a toss if we win lose or draw.

Do you have the memory of a fish?

In another thread you've said Joe has seen this team isn't very good, yet Shez kept this not very good team in the play offs for the vast majority of the season, you don't get and stay in the play offs for that long being a terrible team, and when he left he was one point of the play offs and wasn't given the chance to finish the job.

And a fact that some seem to have missed, Joe has taken us to 8 points off the play offs.

Do you have the memory of a fish?

In another thread you've said Joe has seen this team isn't very good, yet Shez kept this not very good team in the play offs for the vast majority of the season, you don't get and stay in the play offs for that long being a terrible team, and when he left he was one point of the play offs and wasn't given the chance to finish the job.

And a fact that some seem to have missed, Joe has taken us to 8 points off the play offs.

shez hasnt kept this team in the playoffs all season long,other teams around us not taking advantage of the situation is whats kept us in there,and our first 8 games points haul.

this seasons football has been awfull,and the players have been dissinterested and unmotivated for long periods of time.he wasnt allowed to finish the job because he couldnt finish the job,yes we was one point off a playoff spot,but are you honestly saying that shez would have finished it and got us there with the performances we have been turning in.

take the first 8 games out of the equation and we have been playing most of the season with midtable form,people have now started staying away from bp because the football has been truly dire and uninspiring and deffo not worth the £20 you have to pay to watch it.

we are now 8 points off because no matter who came in,we still had the same unmotivated ill disciplined couldnt give a toss players,not capable of seeing the task through.with a bunch of uninspiring mediocre has been journey men loans.

can you honestly say you have enjoyed this season since october ish when it all started going shez shaped.

C'mon Coco there's no cause and effect in the situation and you're either being provocative for the sake of it or ....I can't think of any other reason you'd make that statement.

C'mon Coco there's no cause and effect in the situation and you're either being provocative for the sake of it or ....I can't think of any other reason you'd make that statement.

It wasn't a relegation threatened team that he took over and promotion was far from over.

Now it is.

It wasn't a relegation threatened team that he took over and promotion was far from over.

Now it is.

You are saying that it is down to him. No ifs or buts, that is the only implication that can be drawn from your posts.

Absolute nonsense.

Now it is.

Yup we certainly are a team who is showing relegation form and with the talk of cut budget I fear that if we rely on what we have currently with a couple of young players thrown in - then we could easily be battling the drop next season.

Now it is.

Yup we certainly are a team who is showing relegation form and with the talk of cut budget I fear that if we rely on what we have currently with a couple of young players thrown in - then we could easily be battling the drop next season.

why is it,its my view.

If we adopt that perspective though, it could be said about any manager we have had who haven't got us promoted. Like Dowie, "flirted with the playoffs", but I still think he moved us forward more than Ronnie and Talbot did, and i don't consider his years as wasted, neither as Sheridan's. Its football at the end of the day. I wouldn't call them wasted years just because we aren't in the Championship.

Compare our side to a good 10-13 years ago. We were looking over our shoulders constantly and our aim was to stay up. Now we are in a better place and developing an infrastructure with promotion in mind and not relegation.

Guest Scratch2000uk

The team he took over was on a slippery slope for weeks and weeks before Joe took over, Olham Athletics form was no where near playoff/promotion material, in fact their form was relegation material or, even worse. :shock:

As stated their lofty position was due to other teams not taking advantage

So good it needed saying twice

If we adopt that perspective though, it could be said about any manager we have had who haven't got us promoted. Like Dowie, "flirted with the playoffs", but I still think he moved us forward more than Ronnie and Talbot did, and i don't consider his years as wasted, neither as Sheridan's. Its football at the end of the day. I wouldn't call them wasted years just because we aren't in the Championship.

Compare our side to a good 10-13 years ago. We were looking over our shoulders constantly and our aim was to stay up. Now we are in a better place and developing an infrastructure with promotion in mind and not relegation.

your correct,dowies time here was largely a success,the team was fitter stronger and hungrier,we still had bad days were he looked clueless and the team didnt work well,but he was far more a success than talbot and moore.

im saying its wasted in as much as,the potential was there,the infrastructure was there,we got to a position where we should and could have kicke on and gone that little bit further,but we didntbecause of in my opinion a manager who wasnt capable of making the right decisions at the right time,and was happy to keep things the same when it was obvious it wasnt working,that for me is what i find so frustrating and annoying,that it is a wasted oppertunity because of a managers capabilities and limitations.

we have been saying for the past 3 years,this is the best chance to get up and out and consolodate,and now....in my eyes we have taken a step back and the team hasnt really progressed as much as it could or should have.

whatever happens come may,there will be a clearout,and rightly so,and who ever comes in has one hell of a job on his hands to get us where we want to be,whether thats big joe or a.n.other

Yourself and many other where doing kart wheels when Shez was put in charge while I was given abuse for suggesting he wasn't the right man :)

Oh how times move on :)

Yourself and many other where doing kart wheels when Shez was put in charge while I was given abuse for suggesting he wasn't the right man :)

hardly doing cartwheels.....i wasnt one of the moore outers either,and i distincly remember saying that shez appointment was the cheap option to appease the fans because season ticket holders were leaving in droves.

'We've got our Football back' and 'I don't care if we go down as long as we play good football'