Swine Flu

Macca

just collected my 2 kids from school and handed a letter to say there has been a suspected case of swine flu at the school and a contact with an adult outside school who "may" have it also.

advise is "attend school as normal providing they are well".

also it says..."we assure parents that most of the reported cases in uk have been mild and people are fully recovered..."....MOST !!! say "most" to the folk who haven't / didn't!

as its an infant and junior school,its a bit "casual" i think.

:mmm:

Obviously when you're kids are involved it's very scary. Also I'm in no way a medical professional. But from the reading I've done it seems that as long as your kids are healthy to start with then they should be fine. It's just like "normal" flu. If they have asthma or other respiratory weaknesses then it can be made worse but not necessarily fatal.

I'd give this a thorough read: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pandemic-flu/Pages/QA.aspx

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh-oh, just remembered I work at a uni and we are expecting a few thousand kiddies to arrive here in September/October from all over the world. D'oh!

Ditto ... we've had on of our summers guests just come out of a five day 'lock down'

... we are expecting 20% of the students in my Halls to get it once they come back in October. All sorts of plans being made / draw up in case.

just collected my 2 kids from school and handed a letter to say there has been a suspected case of swine flu at the school and a contact with an adult outside school who "may" have it also.

advise is "attend school as normal providing they are well".

also it says..."we assure parents that most of the reported cases in uk have been mild and people are fully recovered..."....MOST !!! say "most" to the folk who haven't / didn't!

as its an infant and junior school,its a bit "casual" i think.

:mmm:

Most is not a strong enough word for me, "almost all" would be much better. There has been only one death from H1N1 flu (aka swine flu) and that was today in this country out of thousands who didn't have some underlying medical problem. I wouldn't mind betting that out of the three who have died in this country with underlying health conditions at least two would have died if it had been normal flu. This is not as serious as people are making out and in some cases you are much better catching it now than in 2 months when the NHS is up :cesnored: creek without a paddle- the planning people in the NHS are expecting to loose a decent % of its workforce for a week at a time if it spreads into high numbers. As the last thing you want is for someone with a nasty bit of flu in a hospital full of already sick people.

I have it... apparently.

I personally don't think I have it, more of a chest infection. Maybe some mild fluish symptoms but I wasn't bed bound and I have no loss of appetite. I mentioned to the doc I went to Glastonbury though and he nearly jumped out of his skin. I am just now finishing a course of Tamiflu but have been feeling mostly fine. The mrs is a school teacher and she was advised to carry on (by the Health Protection Agency) as normal unless she gets the symptons.

I still don't think I've got it though.

I have it... apparently.

I personally don't think I have it, more of a chest infection. Maybe some mild fluish symptoms but I wasn't bed bound and I have no loss of appetite. I mentioned to the doc I went to Glastonbury though and he nearly jumped out of his skin. I am just now finishing a course of Tamiflu but have been feeling mostly fine. The mrs is a school teacher and she was advised to carry on (by the Health Protection Agency) as normal unless she gets the symptons.

I still don't think I've got it though.

If I have got it though, I would say it's not really very bad at all if you are fit and healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

100,000 new cases of swine flu confirmed in England alone LAST WEEK

840 people seriously ill in hospital 63 in intensive care in just ENGLAND

is it time to start wearing masks yet? :o

Edited by creepy

Turns out my sister has had it for over a week and hadn't even noticed! She's been off work this week under the weather but doctor said she'll have had it week before that and is already past the infectious stage now.

So it goes to show that it's really not all that bad, unless you have an underlying susceptibility to it.

Turns out my sister has had it for over a week and hadn't even noticed! She's been off work this week under the weather but doctor said she'll have had it week before that and is already past the infectious stage now.

So it goes to show that it's really not all that bad, unless you have an underlying susceptibility to it.

You'd be at more risk of catching it on a long, long, long journey in an eight-seater minibus than in a four-seater car. :wink:

Your sis is the unluckiest person for ailments ever!

They're getting 2,600 hits a second on the Direct.gov site!! Crazy!

the new 'swine flu hotline' opened at 3.30 today

its guaranteed you will have pillocks ringing up, lets say with a sore finger thinking they have swine flu

I went down London last weekend, on Monday night i started feeling a bit ill. By Tuesday morning i felt like an elephant had slept on me. Rang my GP to see what he said, gave the receptionist my symptoms and she said i wasnt allowed in the surgery. The doctor rang me back, i told him what i had wrong with me and he told me to go straight home from work and get someone to collect some tamiflu tablets from canon st for me. Been told to stay in for 5 days. Never felt so rough for the past few days but im finally now over it and feeling a lot better, although ive still got the feeling in my mouth like ive eaten cotton wool. Hopefully be ale to go out tomorrow if i feel even better.

Not a nice thing to have at all. I was worried about my wife and son catching it but was told "no point avoiding them, most people will catch it in the next few months anyway".

The NHS is making a bit of a pig's ear of this basically anyone with any flu like symptoms (which appears to be anything under the sun) is told to stay in bed (or get some Tamiflu) without seeing anyone medically qualified (most of the people on the phone line have less medical experience than me- they barely know their arse from their elbow). There was a case of some woman in the metro today who kept being told she had swine flu (despite not having a cough/cold) couldn't see a doctor and then it turned out she had a kidney infection. I find it really hard to see how anyone can diagnose someone with swine flu without speaking to them for at least 3 minutes (and then they'd have to be a well qualified GP- I'd probably need 5 minutes, the receptionists and the like god knows how long). Lots of things present with flu like symptoms which aren't swine flu (chest infections and the like), they need different treatment (and in some cases won't get better on their own) and you can only really tell by seeing the patient and examining them. If the NHS is not careful some people are going to start dying because someone has assumed they have swine flu when it was something else entirely and it was a bit more serious than 99% of the cases of swine flu. They've gotten all geared up for treating swine flu (and if you have swine flu its actually a well-run system) but have forgotten that 99.9% of all medical conditions/diseases present with some flu-like systems (considering what they are calling flu-like symptoms) and this semi-quarantine is appalling for anything which isn't swine flu but might be. At my parent's GP's (in Midd) my Dad was in and he said he got to the front desk and there was thbis notice saying anyone with such and such a symptom shouldn't come into the surgery, there is not a lot of point in said notice actually being inside the surgery it needs to be on the front door.

I said this before but I will reiterate it- you can only get 'swine flu' once, so if you are going to get it- when would you rather have it now, when it hasn't decimated the NHS staff base so you can actually get some treatment and the weather is warm(ish) or in the autumn/winter when the NHS staff base is going to be 20% down weeks at a time and the weather is naff so internal temperature control is much more important. Hopefully I've just had it, because I'm now getting better and I won't be needing to take time off and I won't have to worry about catching it and spreading it round a hospital.

The NHS is making a bit of a pig's ear of this basically anyone with any flu like symptoms (which appears to be anything under the sun) is told to stay in bed (or get some Tamiflu) without seeing anyone medically qualified (most of the people on the phone line have less medical experience than me- they barely know their arse from their elbow). There was a case of some woman in the metro today who kept being told she had swine flu (despite not having a cough/cold) couldn't see a doctor and then it turned out she had a kidney infection. I find it really hard to see how anyone can diagnose someone with swine flu without speaking to them for at least 3 minutes (and then they'd have to be a well qualified GP- I'd probably need 5 minutes, the receptionists and the like god knows how long). Lots of things present with flu like symptoms which aren't swine flu (chest infections and the like), they need different treatment (and in some cases won't get better on their own) and you can only really tell by seeing the patient and examining them. If the NHS is not careful some people are going to start dying because someone has assumed they have swine flu when it was something else entirely and it was a bit more serious than 99% of the cases of swine flu. They've gotten all geared up for treating swine flu (and if you have swine flu its actually a well-run system) but have forgotten that 99.9% of all medical conditions/diseases present with some flu-like systems (considering what they are calling flu-like symptoms) and this semi-quarantine is appalling for anything which isn't swine flu but might be. At my parent's GP's (in Midd) my Dad was in and he said he got to the front desk and there was thbis notice saying anyone with such and such a symptom shouldn't come into the surgery, there is not a lot of point in said notice actually being inside the surgery it needs to be on the front door.

I said this before but I will reiterate it- you can only get 'swine flu' once, so if you are going to get it- when would you rather have it now, when it hasn't decimated the NHS staff base so you can actually get some treatment and the weather is warm(ish) or in the autumn/winter when the NHS staff base is going to be 20% down weeks at a time and the weather is naff so internal temperature control is much more important. Hopefully I've just had it, because I'm now getting better and I won't be needing to take time off and I won't have to worry about catching it and spreading it round a hospital.

Even though I agree with your sentiments, I'm not particularly sure how the NHS/Government would manage to actually see everyone that needs to be seen. Isn't the point of the helpline to take the pressure off the gps who are complaining that they cannot cope. I do agree though, this is mostly about managing the situation rather than treating the patients.

I for one am now waiting for the doctor to give me a ring as I have a chest infection and i'm not allowed to go to the doctors as I was diagnosed with swine flu 3 weeks ago (though I am 99% sure in hindsight that I didn't have it). It will be interesting to see if I get diagnosed over the phone.

Even though I agree with your sentiments, I'm not particularly sure how the NHS/Government would manage to actually see everyone that needs to be seen. Isn't the point of the helpline to take the pressure off the gps who are complaining that they cannot cope. I do agree though, this is mostly about managing the situation rather than treating the patients.

I for one am now waiting for the doctor to give me a ring as I have a chest infection and i'm not allowed to go to the doctors as I was diagnosed with swine flu 3 weeks ago (though I am 99% sure in hindsight that I didn't have it). It will be interesting to see if I get diagnosed over the phone.

I don't have a problem with how the whole thing is being run for those people with swine flu (not that much at any rate)- GPs won't be able to see everyone who is suspected of having it, I think more people should be being seen though (even just to test them- if you get the system organised it takes 5 minutes). My problem is you have unqualified people saying to someone over the phone that they have swine flu without knowing that much about them (if your local GP diagnoses you with swine flu over the phone then that's fine- they at leats have your records in front of them and will have an idea if you are the sort that turns up with every little sniffle). Its quite easy to say to someone over the phone- yes I have a temperature and yes I've got other symptoms (general feeling like :censored: being a big one)- that person then gets Tamiflu and a minimum 5 days (i.e. a week) off work. People can abuse this system easily. My other problem is that flu like symptoms can be account for in about 99% of all medical problems most of which are more serious than swine flu. (If you hear hooves think horse but don't forget about the zebras). Some people are being fobbed off with its only swine flu when its much more serious and because of this it won't take long for someone to die of something other than swine flu having been diagnosed with it over the phone by someone with less medical experience than me. That for me is bordering on criminal negligence and it isn't the fault of the person on the phone its the fault of the highly qualified people running the system who should know better.