Swine Flu

Macca

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll never let Swine Flu into Britain...it'll offend the Muslims too much !

(Sorry)

On a serious note, it pisses me off no end how people these days try to pass off a 'cold' as 'flu'.....believe me, if you've got flu you're feeling absolutely awful for at least 7 days and for a good portion of that time you cannot get out of bed. Literally cannot move. People these days get a bit of a sniffle and a headache and they think they have flu. Rant over....you can tell I'm a very understanding boss when it comes to illness/days off, can't you !

They'll never let Swine Flu into Britain...it'll offend the Muslims too much !

(Sorry)

On a serious note, it pisses me off no end how people these days try to pass off a 'cold' as 'flu'.....believe me, if you've got flu you're feeling absolutely awful for at least 7 days and for a good portion of that time you cannot get out of bed. Literally cannot move. People these days get a bit of a sniffle and a headache and they think they have flu. Rant over....you can tell I'm a very understanding boss when it comes to illness/days off, can't you !

It's what the governments of the world do take the spotlight off the recession !!!!!

It's working not much about the recession on the news just Swine Flu

It's what the governments of the world do take the spotlight off the recession !!!!!

It's working not much about the recession on the news just Swine Flu

Love these conspiracy theorists...that would be one elaborate decoy fella.

You probably think all the Jews were 'tipped off' about 9/11 as well ? :grin:

Edited by Yard Dog

• 1 month later...
Six of my friends from uni have now got it. Another couple in quarantine (though I'm pretty sure one doesn't have it). Hope this sore throat doesn't turn into anything else...

Crikey! Hope everything works out ok for them matey. As long as they're fit and well they should be ok, from what I understand at least.

Suspicions are arising in our office. Our resident old bloke (Dodderhead) is off at the moment feeling really run-down. He isn't one to take time off even when ill. No need to worry there though.

Well except he visited his son a few weeks ago in Jockland and his son's girlfriend is since a confirmed case (they closed the school she worked at). This has been followed up by the place he went to a meeting in Newcastle a week or so ago now having confirmed cases.

Surely I can get quarantined with ten boxes of Westons Cider now, even if it is coincidink?

NB. He sits about three metres from me when at work.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

BBC

More than 13 now, I know 13 confirmed myself. Fortunately I'm feeling OK. Just got to think it lucky that this broke properly over the final weekend as everyone was going home, if it had started a couple of weeks ago there'd be thousands with it what with everyone going out to celebrate end of exams/term. To prove this point, Lenton is pretty much deserted at the moment, yet it seems that all the students who have stayed behind are either confirmed cases or in quarantine. I'm heading back on Friday for a 21st, can't wait...

Believe there's also been an outbreak at Bristol Uni.

Uh-oh, just remembered I work at a uni and we are expecting a few thousand kiddies to arrive here in September/October from all over the world. D'oh!

You'll not know the difference between swine flu and freshers flu mate!

You're probably right, I have had to have a week off sick at the end of October for the past few years through a combination of exhaustion, feeling lousy and all manner of symptoms. This year I am considering booking a couple of days off as I can probably pin point exactly when I will be ill.

BBC - Surge of cases on its way

I thought it was all media hype until I saw myself how quickly it can spread. I think soon it will just be accepted and drugs given to those who have it, like the article said, it's becoming harder to contain it.

The problem is that if it's hitting students hard at the moment (Exeter is the latest uni with an outbreak), most don't really care about it. Those who I've spoken to have said it's not as bad as flu and they just have a virus...they're not exactly dying, they just feel ill. One girl I know who was supposed to be in quarantine got bored yesterday and went shopping. When young people who it doesn't hurt particularly greatly just feel like they have a mild virus and want to get out the house, it's not going to take too long to spread.

BBC - Surge of cases on its way

I thought it was all media hype until I saw myself how quickly it can spread. I think soon it will just be accepted and drugs given to those who have it, like the article said, it's becoming harder to contain it.

The problem is that if it's hitting students hard at the moment (Exeter is the latest uni with an outbreak), most don't really care about it. Those who I've spoken to have said it's not as bad as flu and they just have a virus...they're not exactly dying, they just feel ill. One girl I know who was supposed to be in quarantine got bored yesterday and went shopping. When young people who it doesn't hurt particularly greatly just feel like they have a mild virus and want to get out the house, it's not going to take too long to spread.

I agree that it's going to spread, but whilst it retains this potency it will not cause a significant death toll. The problems arrise when people become complacent (see girl in your post) who goes to Tesco and gives it to an old lady, who goes to Bingo tonight before the symptoms kick in and before you know it 300 old people have it and the deaths will start to occur.

It's about sensible concern and not panic. If you have it spend two weeks on the couch watching Jeremy Kyle and save other peoples lives - even if it doesn't effect you badly!

I agree that it's going to spread, but whilst it retains this potency it will not cause a significant death toll. The problems arrise when people become complacent (see girl in your post) who goes to Tesco and gives it to an old lady, who goes to Bingo tonight before the symptoms kick in and before you know it 300 old people have it and the deaths will start to occur.

It's about sensible concern and not panic. If you have it spend two weeks on the couch watching Jeremy Kyle and save other peoples lives - even if it doesn't effect you badly!

How much for a return trip to Nottingham????? I could do with 2 weeks off.

How much for a return trip to Nottingham????? I could do with 2 weeks off.

Balls to that, say you've just had a cousin come back from there and you met them for a beer and now you think you have it. Many offices would rather let you stay home than run the risk of everyone getting it. My mates office was without 80% of it's staff after someone cameback from Mexico and had it. Not one of them was actually carrying it, but they all got somewhere between a week or two off depending on how quick they were to catch on to being able to get off!

Quarantine for those suspected of having the disease, or being in close contact with someone who has the disease, works when the number of cases is so low but if the number of cases rises then it won't work. A lot of occupations from Refuse Collectors to Police Staff in both the public and private sector have a key role to play in keeping the country running and if all the refuse collectors in Oldham had to have a week off because one of their number was ill with swine flu then Oldham would be in a serious state- I'd rather have Swine flu than some of the stuff you can get from rubbish being everywhere. That's just an example and it doesn't include people involved in treating the disease. Swine flu (or influenza H1N1) is not that serious a virus and I think if the numbers of people had caught bog standard influenza then the death toll wouldn't be too different.

• 2 weeks later...

just collected my 2 kids from school and handed a letter to say there has been a suspected case of swine flu at the school and a contact with an adult outside school who "may" have it also.

advise is "attend school as normal providing they are well".

also it says..."we assure parents that most of the reported cases in uk have been mild and people are fully recovered..."....MOST !!! say "most" to the folk who haven't / didn't!

as its an infant and junior school,its a bit "casual" i think.

:mmm:

We are way ahead of you in Australia I think.

Everyone panicked at first. Schools closed, meetings cancelled, people quarantined but it didn't make a blind bit of difference cause it still spread like crazy.

Now there have been so many cases, they have stopped counting them and told everyone to treat it like any other flu cause it's relatively mild, unless you have some other pre existing health problem.

Currently I think there have been about 16 deaths attributed to swine flu, but all had other health problems.