Swine Flu

Macca

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's at that kind of delicate position the media can't handle. i.e. it MIGHT develop into something serious but it more than likely won't.

The problems always start when the media take in all the available accurate information and then wilfully turn "MIGHT develop into something serious" into "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!"

Oink.

:lol:

When working on support for DEFRA we had insider on the birdflu and F&M disease outbreaks. In almost all cases whilst there was a serious risk and a need for prompt action from DEFRA the actual risk was blown way out of proportion by the Media. Whilst this is a slightly different disease type I can't help but feel the Media will again be looking to make headlines more than inform the general public.

This is serious, the threat from chav beer and drug binging flu ridden terrorist pigs armed with knives and suicide bombs has never been higher and they might try and repossess your house, get elected as an MP, claim expenses on it and then email you to tell you your mum is fat.

Swine flu is quite nasty, but its not as nasty as a lot of the media are making out. The only real precaution I would take is not to go to those areas affected in Mexico (I think Cancun - the big toursit area- may be alright) and if you have to go get a mask (I'm sure if you asked nicely at your GP they might give you one). However, the statistics say that the world is well overdo a global pandemic of a strain of influenza (the flu) and to get the big strains it usually involves some form of animal flu (such as swine or bird) which is then mutated so it transfers from human to human (and becomes airborn) so this could be very nasty. It does appear that although a lot of people are getting sick around the world the only fatalities are in Mexico which may be an indication of the state of Mexicos hospitals as to the severity of the disease.

I'm no expert on this (my Dad however used to be the regions expert on matters such as this) but this is my understanding.

The number of confirmed deaths of Swine Flu in Mexico have been downgraded from 20 to 7. The others are going to be re-tested.

So from 100>20>7

And yet we're all supposed to freak out and wear a facemask? Bloody Media!

I made oink noises after I sneezed on the bus this morning.

On a bus in Oldham that makes you the most sane person on the damn thing!! And no one will hear you over the tramps in leggins at the back with RnB playing on their phones!

I usually walk in Manchester, it is only as I had a suitcase and dislike taxi drivers that I got the bus. Usually the calibre of people extends to young people (in only 27 but feel very old) rapping aloud (very poorly), smoking joints, and throwing things at people, talking in a very remedial format of "street" English. Occaisionally if I am lucky (and I mean that sincerely) I sit next to someone listening to Slayer or similar so loudly that it blocks out all other noise in the bus (until they get a paper thrown at them).

Close to hell. Luckily my pig noises amused me enough to pull through.

I was out in the countryside the other week and a couple of rather odd chaps asked me to squeal like a piggy. Does this mean I am at risk of getting infected?

Different type of infection that one! Get some anti-biotics and you'll be right in a couple of weeks!

Apparently talk of cancelling unnecessary big meetings as we’ve hit defcon 5 of the oinkter scale. Footie matches and festivals maybe cancelled which wouldn’t be very handy at all especially in the credit crunchy nut cornflakes that we find ourselves in. You wait ages for a bus and three come at once. I bet jesus will pop up any minute now.

I'm stunned by how concerned they are about this. I appreciate my knowledge is limited but this, as far as I can tell, is only the Flu. Sure it has a new name and is leathal to the young/infirm but to the average person it seems that whilst not a fun thing to suffer it's reasonably controllable... so why the outbreak fear?

I'm stunned by how concerned they are about this. I appreciate my knowledge is limited but this, as far as I can tell, is only the Flu. Sure it has a new name and is leathal to the young/infirm but to the average person it seems that whilst not a fun thing to suffer it's reasonably controllable... so why the outbreak fear?

Have you heard of many people getting flu in summer? I don't, why would this be different? I think it's a load of betty swollox, though alarmingly, the Daily Mail has done a rather balanced article on it which means WERE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

Daily Mail Linky Thing

Edited by jimsleftfoot

This little piggy went to market,

This little piggy stayed at home,

This little piggy had roast beef,

This little piggy had none.

And this little piggy had influenza A virus subtype hemagglutinin protein 1 neuraminidase protein 1.