• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You dismiss Gannon and then suggest Jewell. Classic :lol:

And? I fail to see your point.

Jewell has a proven track record of getting clubs* promoted from this league & then onto the Premier league (*see Bradford, Wigan). In the meantime little old Oldham haven't. Mr Gannon for me offers no more than Mr Sheridan did.

Whoever we get needs to wield the axe & not be influenced by big fat Joe. (If he tries to convince them that the big bad Wolf is the answer up front then Im Little Red Riding Hood).

The clear out needs to extend to the coaching staff as well as the players, Wright & Duxbury should have gone with Sheridan.

And whilst we are at it, this club will never progress with Alan "thats another fine mess you got us into" Hardy in the background.

Some silly attacks in there on Craig Davies I see - proof that Latics fans really do never learn... The man scored about a goal every other game at Stockport didn't he?

Jim Gannon brings with him the assumption that he'll work with young lads and get the best out of them, and if all went well then him and Philiskirk at the club could be a match made in heaven. That said though, there have been doubts raised about his ability to handle experienced players in much the same way as they were raised about Sheridan - if we get him then I hope that we don't have a similar disaster on our hands.

No reason to think that though, so Gannon gets my vote. That said though, I'd also be interested in Mark Robbins who has done a cracking job at Rotherham.

I am not convinced that the side we could start next year with is a disaster either. So my criteria for choosing the boss have to be;

- We need to get the players fitter, too much playing for only 20 minute spells this year. Replicate Dowie's greatest asset.

- Get the ball on the floor, and play with width. All our aces are out wide, so we have to use them properly.

- Use the youth team well, both in bringing through future players and progressing the guys in the team.

- Be a disciplinarian. The Davies situation (allegedly falling out with team-mates), the Taylor issue (allegedly Gregan and Hughes bullying him: leading to...), the Belle Vue fiasco and the seemingly poor attitude to training of Lee / Alessandra or Smalley's current lack of interest - they all need to be stamped out.

It is a lot to deal with, but we have a few decent players at the club so it should tempt ambitious, young managers. Plus if we start well then I would not be surprised if the owners sanctioned signings in January - they've always backed their managers...

Oh, and Ince and Jewell are non-starters. You'd have more chance of Boothroyd, and he'd be infinitely preferrable.

Guys who have had big moves in the past aren't going to want to risk their reputations slumming it with us, they'll want to hold their lustre as long as possible in the hope of getting a move back to the Prem where all the cash is. You can be a millionaire in one season...

My long held 19 year dream of oldham born, former England captain David Platt taking over!

No No No not that nutter off Corrie? Always causing trouble that one, we have enough problems.

What about Roy Race at Melchester Rovers?

He has done it all as far as football is concerned. He has been in the game since 1954, won just about every major trophy in the game, either as a player, player manager or manager. One trophy which has eluded him is the World Cup, although he has played for and managed England.

He is now back managing Melchester Rovers, after a spell in Italy.

Roy has had his downsides as well. He tragically lost his left foot in March 1993 (that might be a problem on the training pitch?) and his wife Penny was killed in a car crash in Italy in 1995.

Everyone questioned his managerial skills when he signed Steve Norman and Martin Kemp from Spandau Ballet during the 1985/86 season but if he could turn them into footballers then maybe there is hope for the likes of Wolfenden?

No No No not that nutter off Corrie? Always causing trouble that one, we have enough problems.

What about Roy Race at Melchester Rovers?

He has done it all as far as football is concerned. He has been in the game since 1954, won just about every major trophy in the game, either as a player, player manager or manager. One trophy which has eluded him is the World Cup, although he has played for and managed England.

He is now back managing Melchester Rovers, after a spell in Italy.

Roy has had his downsides as well. He tragically lost his left foot in March 1993 (that might be a problem on the training pitch?) and his wife Penny was killed in a car crash in Italy in 1995.

Everyone questioned his managerial skills when he signed Steve Norman and Martin Kemp from Spandau Ballet during the 1985/86 season but if he could turn them into footballers then maybe there is hope for the likes of Wolfenden?

we've get rid of one cardboard cut out and you suggest another???!!! :lol:

With regards to Gannon, from what I’ve picked up of the Stockport message board it would appear that he’s on ‘allegedly’ on a very, very substantial salary, gets a cut of the transfer fee on all player sales and on gate receipts above a certain level.

He has, again allegedly, fallen out with the Trust, (who currently run the club) big style, refuses to speak to the Chairman, hasn’t attended a post match press conference for ages and refuses to even do his column in the club programme any more.

He’s very confrontational, has had a few run ins with the crowd when they’ve questioned his decisions, and it has been said that he wouldn’t get away with his antics with any other club board, but most of the fans love him and he plays up on this, knowing full well the board daren’t sack him or even criticize him no matter what he says.

On the playing side you can’t fault his achievements. He’s had success, his sides play good football and he has an uncanny knack of bringing through/spotting young players, developing them and in a few cases making County a fair few bob in the process.

But he seems a very complex character and I’m not sure how he’d get on with our own firebrand, Mr. Corney, or indeed the ‘Main Stand Massiv’ when he makes a substitution or tactical change they don’t agree with.

It could be interesting though.

With regards to Gannon, from what I’ve picked up of the Stockport message board it would appear that he’s on ‘allegedly’ on a very, very substantial salary, gets a cut of the transfer fee on all player sales and on gate receipts above a certain level.

He has, again allegedly, fallen out with the Trust, (who currently run the club) big style, refuses to speak to the Chairman, hasn’t attended a post match press conference for ages and refuses to even do his column in the club programme any more.

He’s very confrontational, has had a few run ins with the crowd when they’ve questioned his decisions, and it has been said that he wouldn’t get away with his antics with any other club board, but most of the fans love him and he plays up on this, knowing full well the board daren’t sack him or even criticize him no matter what he says.

On the playing side you can’t fault his achievements. He’s had success, his sides play good football and he has an uncanny knack of bringing through/spotting young players, developing them and in a few cases making County a fair few bob in the process.

But he seems a very complex character and I’m not sure how he’d get on with our own firebrand, Mr. Corney, or indeed the ‘Main Stand Massiv’ when he makes a substitution or tactical change they don’t agree with.

It could be interesting though.

sounds a bit of a prick to me