Text Speak

Text speak on message boards...  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable?

• Ye, me dwn wif da yoofs LOL
    • It's just childish and pointless.

I dont care if people have bad grammar and spelling as long as I get the message, but abbreviated/bastardised words make reading more difficult and frankly irritating to me. Does anyone else find this?

dnt no wot tha hell u onbwt rerli m8 ?

I dont care if people have bad grammar and spelling as long as I get the message, but abbreviated/bastardised words make reading more difficult and frankly irritating to me. Does anyone else find this?

100% behind you on this one, AND PEOPLE WHO SHOUT THEIR MESSAGE ANNOY ME TOO!! :ranting:

Even occasional instances get to me! Abbreviations are one thing, but silly words are a different matter!

I agree. But to some extent it's allowed.

For example lol is a recognised term these days and so it's ok. But if people use "u" for you or "c" for see then they shouldn't. That's not to say it doesn't happen. As much as possible I will just go in and edit the post myself to help out others who it annoys.

Doesnt bother me really, I can read text speak :tongue1:

Its obviously easier to read proper words but I have no problem in people mixing it up, its an internet message board not an English essay.

This is a statement that never fails to annoy me.

Whats the big deal? there are more important things in the world. I'm not a great fan of people picking up the most minor of matters.

No big deal, but now that the poll here speaks for the board I hope people will realise that it is not welcome

That is why we have polls :)

I'm not a fan of text speak either and much prefer to see written English as it is intended however I cannot feel that your point is anything other than slightly pathetic.

I'm not a fan of text speak either and much prefer to see written English as it is intended however I cannot feel that your point is anything other than slightly pathetic.

What I find slightly pathetic is the way we have surrendered the World's most popular and concise language to a new breed of lazy ignorant philistines with no respect for their heritage, predecessors or successors.

Text speak has to be acceptable where space is limited and a complete statement is to be squeezed into a short message, but it is now becoming the norm in all aspects of correspondence, and that is so wrong.

how fkng annoying s txt spk? it drives me up d sddng wall - espec on 4rums wher users hv d tme 2 prep thr posts. In d chat room wher d interaction s instant, we cn accept it, but not on a msg board.

w00t.

What I find slightly pathetic is the way we have surrendered the World's most popular and concise language to a new breed of lazy ignorant philistines with no respect for their heritage, predecessors or successors.

Text speak has to be acceptable where space is limited and a complete statement is to be squeezed into a short message, but it is now becoming the norm in all aspects of correspondence, and that is so wrong.

Our language is constantly evolving and long may it do so, granted on a non-delimited medium like this or email the over abbreviation of words and phrases or major lapses into txt speak is annoying and lazy . Altho the odd exception is perfectly acceptable as long is it is still possible for people to read thru your message without having to decrypt it.

how fkng annoying s txt spk? it drives me up d sddng wall - espec on 4rums wher users hv d tme 2 prep thr posts. In d chat room wher d interaction s instant, we cn accept it, but not on a msg board.

w00t.

I can't even accept it in the chat room. I may have a problem.

Pwned.

Leave it out, I'm on a Red Hat Linux course and have delimiters on the brain.

A mouthful is still a mouthful, whatever colour hat you might be wearing... Although I will avoid too many stones, as I am too tired to follow through with the full comic potential that DP offers us tonight.