It's Dave Penney - confirmed

I'm dissapointed, it lacks ambition in my opinion.

Not the end of the world, and I'll give him every chance to make a decent effort, good luck Dave, you'll need it.

Ambition? Despite their faults TTA keep us competitive on crowds likely to be sub 4,000 initially next season.

Gannon - Surely will go on to bigger and better things, I would have like him but...meh!

Robins - I can see where people were coming from but thank fook we didn't employ a real rookie

Knill - Still in with a chance of promotion

Hill - See Shez

Ince - way above our level

Boothroyd - Ditto

Jewell - Again would have been nice but he's hardly used to winning games over the last couple of years is he? Had :censored:loads of cash at Bradford and Wigan, Championship level easily.

Joe - Joe knows it's a big job and why should he start from scratch?

We've appointed a guy who hopefully will get the chance to build a side capable of challenging, a guy who will need time, a guy who is removed from Oldham Athletic a guy who will stamp his own identity and authority on the team. A guy who is ultimately ambitious and probably on his way up unlike people like Talbot and Moore who were guys living off past achievements, Penney is a top 6 manager and has proved that year after year, ok the progress stagnated somehwhat at Donny but only after the chairman started throwing silly money around and if the rumours are to believed began interfering in the squad.

So if appointing a hungry, young and successful manager lacks ambition, who would you have appointed Kieran?

I respect your opinion, Ive just read about him on Wikipedia and done some research on darlington and doncaster too, it simply doesn't inspire me, that's not to say he won’t succeed and I hope he does, but to me it lacks ambition of the club to make such an appointment.

Ambition? Despite their faults TTA keep us competitive on crowds likely to be sub 4,000 initially next season.

Gannon - Surely will go on to bigger and better things, I would have like him but...meh!

Robins - I can see where people were coming from but thank fook we didn't employ a real rookie

Knill - Still in with a chance of promotion

Hill - See Shez

Ince - way above our level

Boothroyd - Ditto

Jewell - Again would have been nice but he's hardly used to winning games over the last couple of years is he? Had :censored:loads of cash at Bradford and Wigan, Championship level easily.

Joe - Joe knows it's a big job and why should he start from scratch?

We've appointed a guy who hopefully will get the chance to build a side capable of challenging, a guy who will need time, a guy who is removed from Oldham Athletic a guy who will stamp his own identity and authority on the team. A guy who is ultimately ambitious and probably on his way up unlike people like Talbot and Moore who were guys living off past achievements, Penney is a top 6 manager and has proved that year after year, ok the progress stagnated somehwhat at Donny but only after the chairman started throwing silly money around and if the rumours are to believed began interfering in the squad.

So if appointing a hungry, young and successful manager lacks ambition, who would you have appointed Kieran?

Well it's not my decision hence why I stated that this was simply my unprofessional arm chair opinion, but I would have appointed (if he'd have had us with the right deal) Ian Holloway.*

*And yes I know he was relegeted with Leicester

I respect your opinion, Ive just read about him on Wikipedia and done some research on darlington and doncaster too, it simply doesn't inspire me, that's not to say he won’t succeed and I hope he does, but to me it lacks ambition of the club to make such an appointment.

Ok mate I know what you are saying but in your opinion who would have been an ambitious appointment - bearing in mind our balance sheet, our fan base, state of the ground and the job in hand during the forthcoming season? Oh and why you think said ambitious appointee would want to come to Oldham athletic?

Any appointment comes with its own risks, no matter who the said manager is. Sometimes they work out sometimes they dont. I have to say i was a bit underwhelmed when it was first mentioned but then i think maybe he could be the person to get us out of this division, but then again he may be like the Warnock, Shez, Moore, Talbot, Dowie and not do it.

Realistically we have made an appointment which fair enough wont sell season tickets or increase crowds, but the truth of the matter is only consistant performances on the pitch and not bottling it when the heat is on will do that. We could look back in a couple of years at this moment and say it was the best thing to happen to OAFC since the pinch me days.

Out of interest, I know a few fans are based up i the North East, who are the pick of the Darlo players.

Not that I am advocating a fire sale as happened to us, but I think it inevitable some will move over as they have not been paid.

Quote from a Doncaster fan I know.

"Plays direct football, 4-4-2, no plan B. Substitutions were always late and a mystery to me!

Had several falling outs with some players who then left (a bit like that Scottish bloke with that red team!).

He did however do a good job for us, getting successive promotions. Chairman replaced him as he thought he couldn't take us any further, (ie promotion to the championship) and wanted amore passing style of football. Always had a reasonable amount of money to work with."

Well it's not my decision hence why I stated that this was simply my unprofessional arm chair opinion, but I would have appointed (if he'd have had us with the right deal) Ian Holloway.*

Holloway? Interesting - a character to say the least. He did well up to a point with bristol Rovers, always up at the top but like Shez's teams ultimately to fail in the second half of the season. Once they lost Cureton and Roberts he Eventually he took them down.

At QPR he got it right eventually at our expense - luckily. Before eventually taking them up the following season, but they were not a good side to watch just big and strong relying on Richard Langley, Furlong and Tony Thorpe. They sacked him in the end after looking likely to come back down.

At Plymouth he did very well, keeping them in the top half of the Championship and sometimes even troubling the play off chasers.

Followed the money to Leicester and took them from a team in trouble to absolutely doomed.

Holloway for me is probably a League One manager, but a southern based one at that. A media circus follows him around and that is the last thing this club needs at the moment.

IMO Holloway would have been a disasterous appointment ala Talbot.

Thanks to the gods of football you're not in a position to make the appointment then.

We didn't need the village idiot as manager.

Holloway would have been a disaster at this club.

He'd have won successive promotions, followed by the Premiership title and 57 Champions League titles in a row before football was disbanded on the day he passed away aged 106, everyone acknowledging that football was over and Oldham were by far the greatest team the world had ever seen.

Wow, it's easy making this :censored: up isn't it?

He'd have won successive promotions, followed by the Premiership title and 57 Champions League titles in a row before football was disbanded on the day he passed away aged 106, everyone acknowledging that football was over and Oldham were by far the greatest team the world had ever seen.

Wow, it's easy making this :censored: up isn't it?

I understand the point you're trying to make, but I agree with the poster that stated Holloway would be a disaster for us (A humerous one none the less).

Edited by Gentleman