Greegs released

If he can find players in League 2 or below who really have fallen through the net and are worthy of League 1 football, or even higher, then great. However, if you buy League 2 players, that's where you'll end up.

Quite. Why do people think they're playing in the fourth divison and non-league in the first place?

Even most of those who play pub football are 'hungry.'

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it had to happen. big dave has been watching the videos of this season, probably only the defeats or maybe even the draws, and he would have seen greegs stood out of position with his hands on his hips on too many ocassions. plus his tendancy to play balls along his own 18 yard line, or rush up to the halfway line and miss a header, or try to catch the other team offside and fail miserably.

now lets see where he ends up, and it wont be in the premier league like a few on here expect..

Quite. Why do people think they're playing in the fourth divison and non-league in the first place?

Who said that we will be signing fourth division and non-league players? we haven't even signed anyone yet. And on the OS Penney himself said that he won't necessarily be raiding Darlo for next season.

Let's see who he signs first before sticking the boot in.

Who said that we will be signing fourth division and non-league players? we haven't even signed anyone yet. And on the OS Penney himself said that he won't necessarily be raiding Darlo for next season.

Let's see who he signs first before sticking the boot in.

Nobody's sticking the boot in. It's just that there's been a widespread assumption on here that Dave Penney will raid his old club, and a popular notion that plenty of non-league players capable of stepping up three or four divisions are there for those capable of unearthing them. In other words it's a hypothetical debate, although Simon Corney said something along these lines himself (see the Corney's comments thread.)

So are you saying that no footballers make the grade from non-league to a higher level? Utter ball ox!!!

Players fall through the net for all sorts of reasons and with the right sort of coaching come back into the game, sometimes at a higher level than the club that has resurrected their career. Fitz Hall springs to mind immediately. Dario Gradi got a 10 year management contract at Crewe by picking up football's waifs and strays and putting them back on track and kept his club solvent.

Edited by mikejh45

So are you saying that no footballers make the grade from non-league to a higher level? Utter ball ox!!!

Players fall through the net for all sorts of reasons and with the right sort of coaching come back into the game, sometimes at a higher level than the club that has resurrected their career. Fitz Hall springs to mind immediately. Dario Gradi got a 10 year management contract at Crewe by picking up football's waifs and strays and putting them back on track and kept his club solvent.

No. I'm making the obvious point that most non-league and fourth division players are playing at that level because that's the limit of their capability. That's why clubs nowadays usually have to rebuild their teams by bringing in players of superior quality when promoted.

I never said that a small minority aren't capable of making the step up if they're lucky enough to find themselves in the right circumstances.

Managers like Gradi (and, at a different level, Joe Royle) are the exception, not the rule. Perhaps Penney may be too...

Edited by Corporal_Jones

No. I'm making the obvious point that most non-league and fourth division players are playing at that level because that's the limit of their capability. That's why clubs nowadays usually have to rebuild their teams by bringing in players of superior quality when promoted.

I never said that a small minority aren't capable of making the step up if they're lucky enough to find themselves in the right circumstances.

Managers like Gradi (and, at a different level Joe Royle) are the exception, not the rule. Perhaps Penney may be too...

Kevin philips and Ian wright were playing non-league football until they discovered later in their career. There are lots of hidden gems to be found imo.

Sean Gregan - latics legend :laught16:

So that would put him alongside Andy Ritchie wouldnt it? :laught16:

If he would have led us to promotion then maybe but he definately is not a latics legend

And on the non league players millwall have signed a lad today from i think Stevenage isnt it?

Kevin philips and Ian wright were playing non-league football until they discovered later in their career. There are lots of hidden gems to be found imo.

There are a few. After a spell of attracting players from bigger clubs our fans seem to want us to begin raiding the likes of Darlington and Stalybridge Celtic. I reckon towards the end of Penneys first season the cries will be for "attracting proven experience for above".

I'd rather have a has been than a never will be.

Anyway, it seems Greegs will be disapointed.

Comments 7/5/09

Managers like Gradi (and, at a different level, Joe Royle) are the exception, not the rule. Perhaps Penney may be too...

OK Corp, so let's make the assumption that Penney knows the qualities needed to step up the divisions including those from Darlington.

Nobody on this board has watched Darlington week on week, so we don't know who from Darlington's ranks stood out so let's give Penney some backing here.

And earlier than that Kevin Keegan made an instant step-up from the Fourth Division to a great Liverpool side.

Much has changed since those days. Aside from Micah Richards how many more players have Latics lost while still at junior level?

Sean Gregan - latics legend :laught16:

So that would put him alongside Andy Ritchie wouldnt it? :laught16:

If he would have led us to promotion then maybe but he definately is not a latics legend

And on the non league players millwall have signed a lad today from i think Stevenage isnt it?

Steve Morison.

Already had a crack at league level with Northampton but dropped out. Bagged a goal in the Trophy final at weekend. Chris Day was in goal for Stevenage too.

:ranting:

I'm livid. Seems to me like Penney might be looking to get his Darlington League 2 play-off team out in Latics shirts.

Little chance of replacing Greegs - and even if we did it's unlikely that the replacement would be as good to watch, which is very important to me.

Legend of our time in League 1.

totaly agree,been my favourate player last two seasons,think we might regret this one.

OK Corp, so let's make the assumption that Penney knows the qualities needed to step up the divisions including those from Darlington.

Nobody on this board has watched Darlington week on week, so we don't know who from Darlington's ranks stood out so let's give Penney some backing here.

I'm not criticising Penney. As I said, it's a hypothetical situation we're discussing.

The pace to give Penney backing is at BP. On here we are allowed to discuss almost anything, including hypothetical situations. Aren't we?

I'm not criticising Penney. As I said, it's a hypothetical situation we're discussing.

The pace to give Penney backing is at BP. On here we are allowed to discuss almost anything, including hypothetical situations. Aren't we?

Of course we can, but your statement on the the standard of players in lower divisions was categoric hence the replies.

There are a few. After a spell of attracting players from bigger clubs our fans seem to want us to begin raiding the likes of Darlington and Stalybridge Celtic. I reckon towards the end of Penneys first season the cries will be for "attracting proven experience for above".

I'd rather have a has been than a never will be.

Anyway, it seems Greegs will be disapointed.

Comments 7/5/09

Has beens :Byfield Kabba Ormerod Windass (obv just what I have seen this season)

Never were until picked up from Conference: Sharp Keogh Eastwood Mclean Mcail Smith

Out of that I would rather have the unproven ones. I agree though we do need some experienced players from higher leagues but I think the gems at this level tend to be ones who step up with passion than down just to get fit to see out their career , just my opinion though :wink:

Edited by razza699

Sharp started with Sheffield United.

Keogh with Leeds.

Not as non league as you think :wink:

Not to mention the amount of examples backing up my opinion, i.e too many to mention.

The post of mine you responded to Razza began with me agreeing that there are a few.