Greegs released

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, every piece of news we get from BP is disappointin me - Give me something to look forward to..... PLEASE!

Although I do not agree with you that Gregan will be sorely missed, I can understand the concern of you and other fans on this. Hwoever, in my view his age is catching up fast-understandably.

But how can you ay it is all bad news?

So much much dead wood, so many of the underachievers, so amny of the bad influences are being cleared.

Edited by singe

imagine the uproar if this happened 12 months ago? why the big change? could it be that some people are able to watch games ublinded by sentiment, reputation, or out and out homo love?

it must be, i cant think of any other reason. this board gets much flack for some of the rubbish spouted, but i doth my cap to those able to change an opinion based on evidence, be that on paper or with thy own (unblinkered) eyes.

A contributing factor could be the belief that at 36 it is fair enough to save the wage and look to the future. People of this false belief will be imagining him being 36/37 for next season when he will only be 35 for the vast majority of it.

Incidentally, the majority opinion of him seems to have been pretty solid all season considering his performance in MOTM polls on here (which you often hijacked with your anti greegs rubbish). In addition to this he was one of very few players of ours who Joe rated.

Roll on the replacement lower league journeyman - at least he'll be able to run faster. :ohno:

Edited by Stitch_KTF

I'm not apologising for re-iterating the following:

Our most solid defence over the past 2 years was with Eardley (as Captain), Trotman, Stam and Bertrand with Smalley, Allott, McDonald and Taylor in front of them conceding less than a goal a game. So to say we need a big, fat, static git as a captain who shouts doesn't strictly follow. What is needed is a set of players who can play together as a unit.

Well done DP, good call!!!

Goodbye, big man, you did your best but you'd didn't advance our cause one bit. And I sincerely hope you find a club to carry on playing with.

I will miss that big arse knocking oposition centerforwards into next week, Did a good job and i thought always performed very well in bigger games and against his for club leeds, Just hope he doesnt play against us next term, Good look greegs

Im not going to argue with the fact Gregan could be immense on his day, and in terms of ability, in my opinion, one of the better (but definately not the best) centre halves we have had at Boundary Park within the past ten years or so.

However, taking the sentimental/rose tinted specs off...

- Gregan was part of a defence that leaked 65 goals last season.

- He is 35 years of age,

- The likes of Baz Savage and Lloyd Owusu, who are not the fastest players to start off with, beat Gregan for pace.

- Coincidence his best run of form was towards the end of the season, when his contract was up?????

and will reiterate what Ed Hunter said in a previous post, we continually lambasted the team for the gutless, spineless, inept displays last season, yet when a new manager comes in, sees this and starts chopping and changing the squad, everyone is like :blink:

…. sometimes the best decisions are made for non-footballing reasons, perhaps DP wants to run things his way at BP and what better way of doing that than by getting rid of the captain of the old regime? As has been mentioned already on here it was down the day before the supposed night of the long knives, sets the tone nicely for me and might make the other players a bit more realistic in their negotiations?

All good points, well made.

Thanks for the good times Sean, especially when you were playing for a contract and in the big games - at Elland Road you showed what you could do if you really put your mind to it.

How many goals? One - thanks for that at Kettering.

How many wage-weeks lost? Two (plus two at PNE).

How many pints? We never did find out!

Good luck for the future and when you return to BP I’ll be leading the applause …………and the singing.

often? three or four times maximum. i even voted for him on two occasions, one of them (leicester) even though i thought he could have done better on the gol. sadly this summed him up for me, he would head absolutely everything all game then do one stupid thing, like try and turn his man on the 18 yard line, or play an underhit pass to the keeper, also the amount of penalties he got away with conceding at the start of the season was staggering (i wont mention the three 18 yard line square passes :wink:)

a stick used to beat me was 'well ronnie moore and gary mcallister said he played well, and they know more than you'. well they probably know more than most, if not all of us, as do dave penney and joe royle. so its 3-1 to the gregan still has it camp. if he signs for a club in this division it will be 4-1, and i will be very interested in their season. if he drops out of this division, or signs for a 'smaller club' i will feel vindicated. if he signs for a club who finished above us in the league, i will be shocked and stunned. if the club he signs for, be they bigger or smaller (and i wont be just basing this on leaue position) and the said club finishes above us and concedes fewer gols, and he plays 75% of the games. i will issue a public apology and send greegs a love letter.

oh my imagine when the others get released today post mayhem

Am waiting for.........

"why has stammy been released, awww id have put him at the heart of our defence next year"

"awwww its a shame wolfy hasnt been given a new deal, id have given him another two years"

"why has kelvin lomax been told he can go, should have been our first choice left back next season"

:blink:

Say when, just say when......... :rifle:

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Am waiting for.........

"why has stammy been released, awww id have put him at the heart of our defence next year"

"awwww its a shame wolfy hasnt been given a new deal, id have given him another two years"

"why has kelvin lomax been told he can go, should have been our first choice left back next season"

:blink:

Say when, just say when......... :rifle:

haha if he keeps some on its a cringe but wolfden if he is kept on load the gun

The Wolf has been offered a 'short' term deal....looks like deals are being offered in relation to your height/weight!! :shock:

So that's why we couldn't afford Gregan.

Edited by jsslatic

Am waiting for.........

Says in the Chron (so it must be true) that Penney's negotiating a 'possible' new contract with Stam. Bit of an odd decision to keep Stam but release Gregan, i can only hope he's bringing another centre-half in.

Says in the Chron (so it must be true) that Penney's negotiating a 'possible' new contract with Stam. Bit of an odd decision to keep Stam but release Gregan, i can only hope he's bringing another centre-half in.

Nah, the budget is so tight we will have to operate a 2.1, 4,2 system this year..

Stam will obviously be back up, and not a bad one, but I doubt first choice. Given what we know about Penney, and hs focs on defence, I'd aexpect a 6" 4" solid rock.

Stam is the 0.1 as he will only play for about 10% of the seaon, but if he is on a pay as you play type deal why not?

You'd think the way some people have reacted to the retained list we'd offerd them 10 years with 30% annual salary increase.

Edited by singe