Greegs released

Steve Morison.

Already had a crack at league level with Northampton but dropped out. Bagged a goal in the Trophy final at weekend. Chris Day was in goal for Stevenage too.

He got MOM and was probably the player who made the difference, as his complete desire made a goal from nowhere whereas York had the better midfield but were anorexic up front.

He seemed fairly :censored: though.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm personally glad that Gregan has gone. it looks lke Penney as come in and said 'OK, anybody who was pally with Shez, seeya later, this is now my club and I am your boss, not your friend'

He was one of the players who didn't really need to train for his place, he was guarenteed it regardless.

Fair enough in my book - and Shez did drop him earlier in the season, which was fair enough at the time.

Can this thread be deleted now please? It is sending me under.

Have to say that I am a little, but not totally, surprised by this news.

Until last week I thought that it more likely than not that SG would get a new 1 year contract similar to the one Lids signed last season. i.e. he wanted to stay but the club weren't prepared to pay previous contracted wages. That was until I saw Kempy's post.

The thing that strikes me about all this is that DP has brought SG in a day ahead of the rest of the players, thus drawing his lines in the sand very early and laying down a clear marker. IMO there will be few surprises tomorrow. There has been talk of us letting toooooooo much experience go. But that expeience is 34/35/36 and more, slowing down after 2 year plus contracts and posssibly not fitting in with the new managers preferred way of playing. After the abysmal way we fell away in the final 37 games of the season, barring the odd high point (Leicester away springs to mind) maybe a clean sweep with experienced players at 28-31 or at a pinch 32 will be more appropriate. After all, all that experience didn't help us when things got tough as the season wore on did it?

This may also be the board working with DP to clear the wage bill for what Simon Corney described as the "odd Marquee signing." Preferably an out and out goalscorer and or creative midfielder. Take out Crossley, Liddle, Gregan, Maher, plus the costs of the likes of Hughes, Kalala and Stam and the fact that Craig Davies is off the wage bill and you can see where we are heading in reshaping the squad. If DP can't bring all the players in that he wants then I would also expect to see 1 or 2 under contract players i.e. Danny Whittaker, Kelvin Lomax or Keiron Lee moved on to free up funds. It looks to me from what DP has said to date that we will be organised and shouldn't concede too many goals, so any "quality" we do bring in will be aimed at specific areas as I identified above i.e. out and out striker/s and or creative midfielder so that we focus on creating and converting chances. Turning draws into wins, defeats into draws in tight games etc is the theory.

So finally it's thank you and good bye Sean. Good luck in the rest of your career and you will receive justified applause from me if you return to BP 1 day. You gave your best for us on the pitch and left your mark, particularly on a few opposition forwards.

Cheers,

Harry

I thought more people would be up in arms about this but I'm glad that the general opinion is positive !

The funny thing about the situation is Penney enquired about SG at the start of season he's been scouting him for a while, Penney must have seen something in his game to know he can do a job in Div 2 but wouldnt survive a full season in Div 1 next year in a successful team

Thank you Sean, Good LUCK ........

and oi oi savaloy....*cough* allegedly

SavaloyWBA.jpg

Like Harry said, I expect some players to be kept and released tomorrow that may SHOCK some fans

I say do as the man says and join him next season

Dont let this happen :wink:

0,,10337~5880117,00.jpg

extremely disappointed. advancing years wouldn't of helped, but a 12month lesser paid contract wouldn't have done any harm. player of the season for me, with good consistent form all season (with the exception of the games around the boozer driving saga). Shez did a similar thing with Warne - released the previous seasons best performer, and that didn't exactly work out for the best of the team.

And for anyone who wants to doubt Gregan, you only have to look at how he performed against the leagues so called best strikers - Beckford (who was getting booed from his own fans at Elland Road), Fryatt etc. etc.

A big gap to fill (no pun intended).

I'm actually amazed at how well received this news has been. I'm disappointed as I thought Gregan was one of the few players in this squad worth keeping.

It may well be that budgeting dictates that we can't offer him anything he's likely to accept but, if that's the case, the club shouldn't have bothered their arses with the season ticket 'offer'.

If it's not a decision based on a reduced budget then Penney's first major decision as Latics manager is the wrong one, in my opinion.

Gregs released ?? :blink:

If it isnt due to a reduced budget I cant work this out... Football wise it makes little sense...

id say , its to reduce the budget as even if his wage dropped he would be one of our bigger earners.

plus maybe fallout from his involvement from the dogs incident (was he fined?)

all of them involved from that night are now gone....football wise as ive said elsewhere only time will tell if its a mistake , i think it could be.

but lets wait and see what dp has up his sleeve

... After the abysmal way we fell away in the final 37 games of the season, barring the odd high point (Leicester away springs to mind) maybe a clean sweep with experienced players at 28-31 or at a pinch 32 will be more appropriate. After all, all that experience didn't help us when things got tough as the season wore on did it?

Cheers,

Harry

That sums things up for me, and the captain of most of those 37 games was Sean Gregan.

Anyone could see his undoubted qualities, anyone could see they were on the wane.

He was not able to lead the team to the play offs.

Time for a complete overhaul.

I think there may be one or two suprises, but only in who is actually not released.

Good decision in my opinion, new regime, need new leaders, maybe penney has ideas on a new captain and obv Greegs wouldnt be happy with that...36 yr old highest earner....thats not progression at all

exactly we cant keep holding on to old farts how anyone cant see it's a good choice must be bonkers strikers were easily flying past him just not upto league one and will do better in div2, we need players that arnt gona just be here for a year but for a few years and with greegs that aint gona happen also wage's he was on would get 2 decent players

Good decision in my opinion, new regime, need new leaders, maybe penney has ideas on a new captain and obv Greegs wouldnt be happy with that...36 yr old highest earner....thats not progression at all

How come this thread generally assumes Gregan to be 36 when, in fact, he only turned 35 six weeks ago?

Absolutely gutted - loved wotchin him destroying centre forwards, not keen on him bollocking everyone else for his mistakes - really respect him coming over to the RRE after every match no matter how many were still there and how badly we had played - thanks Sean - in my humble opinion you will be classed as a Latics Legend always!

Absolutely gutted - loved wotchin him destroying centre forwards, not keen on him bollocking everyone else for his mistakes - really respect him coming over to the RRE after every match no matter how many were still there and how badly we had played - thanks Sean - in my humble opinion you will be classed as a Latics Legend always!

are you the guy who walks around with spiky hair and big army boots on :D that guy is a legend

are you the guy who walks around with spiky hair and big army boots on :D that guy is a legend

People saying he was a billy big bollox in the dressing room etc, well that's not what was said by a fair few youngsters who said he's the first person they all turn to when they need help etc or Greegs has just approached them to offer advice. With regards to his bollockings then anyone who actually plays football will see what a good skipper he is/was. First rule of football anything said on the field or in the changing rooms is left there after the game and its forgotten about.

Anyways, good luck Greegs, i have a feeling its a decision we'll regret.

imagine the uproar if this happened 12 months ago? why the big change? could it be that some people are able to watch games ublinded by sentiment, reputation, or out and out homo love?

it must be, i cant think of any other reason. this board gets much flack for some of the rubbish spouted, but i doth my cap to those able to change an opinion based on evidence, be that on paper or with thy own (unblinkered) eyes.

This is a mistake, lets hope there aren't too many more.

In alot games where we have played badly this season, Gregan has come out of them with his reputation in tact. Like most players, he had the odd off game, but they were few and far between. He was solid on the ball and in the air, and wouldn't allow opposing players to take any liberties. Yes he moaned now and again, and gave the odd player a mouthful, but every team needs one of those.

I haven't seen any defenders at this level I would rather have in the team - even Joe stipulated that we wouldn't find a better player at this level.

I'm hoping I'm proved wrong, and still trying to KTF.

So far, every piece of news we get from BP is disappointin me - Give me something to look forward to..... PLEASE!

Im not going to argue with the fact Gregan could be immense on his day, and in terms of ability, in my opinion, one of the better (but definately not the best) centre halves we have had at Boundary Park within the past ten years or so.

However, taking the sentimental/rose tinted specs off...

- Gregan was part of a defence that leaked 65 goals last season.

- He is 35 years of age,

- The likes of Baz Savage and Lloyd Owusu, who are not the fastest players to start off with, beat Gregan for pace.

- Coincidence his best run of form was towards the end of the season, when his contract was up?????

and will reiterate what Ed Hunter said in a previous post, we continually lambasted the team for the gutless, spineless, inept displays last season, yet when a new manager comes in, sees this and starts chopping and changing the squad, everyone is like :blink:

i think there will be a good few more surprises today when penney announces the retained list

Im not going to argue with the fact Gregan could be immense on his day, and in terms of ability, in my opinion, one of the better (but definately not the best) centre halves we have had at Boundary Park within the past ten years or so.

However, taking the sentimental/rose tinted specs off...

- Gregan was part of a defence that leaked 65 goals last season.

- He is 35 years of age,

- The likes of Baz Savage and Lloyd Owusu, who are not the fastest players to start off with, beat Gregan for pace.

- Coincidence his best run of form was towards the end of the season, when his contract was up?????

and will reiterate what Ed Hunter said in a previous post, we continually lambasted the team for the gutless, spineless, inept displays last season, yet when a new manager comes in, sees this and starts chopping and changing the squad, everyone is like :blink:

i think there will be a good few more surprises today when penney announces the retained list

atlast someone thats got a clue :D well played give this guy a golden globe award

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Gregan this season, I really showed at times what the art of defending is all about, I think there were 2 games at BP where the forward got the better of him in the air, there were a few though where the forward got the better of him on the deck.

I would've liked him to have been given another season, perhaps he wanted 2 and DP wouldn't give him that, will be interesting to see what kind of offer he does accept somewhere else.

But sometimes the best decisions are made for non-footballing reasons, perhaps DP wants to run things his way at BP and what better way of doing that than by getting rid of the captain of the old regime? As has been mentioned already on here it was down the day before the supposed night of the long knives, sets the tone nicely for me and might make the other players a bit more realistic in their negotiations? "You want £1500 a week do you? In the middle of a recession? Tell you what, I'll give you £750 and be grateful you still have a job sunshine." Thus freeing up more money for the new recruits.

The man has only been in the job for one full day, so far he has appealed to the fans to get on board with him and stump up the cash to let him do his job and provide us with something to do on a Saturday afternoon, dead-headed the previous regime and is starting the new one. Already for some he is a major disaster and he hasn't even kicked a ball in training yet.