Greegs released

at the end of the day he is almost 36 years old,and no matter how good a header of the ball he is,or how "hard" he is...he will get done for speed 90% of the games we play.

I could re-arrange that statement to make one equally ridiculous in support of my argument, but I wont. I'm going to let it go....

I may not agree with your opinion, but I'll fight to the death for your right to voice it.

Fight's to the death are more Sean's style than mine... :wink:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not apologising for re-iterating the following:

Our most solid defence over the past 2 years was with Eardley (as Captain), Trotman, Stam and Bertrand with Smalley, Allott, McDonald and Taylor in front of them conceding less than a goal a game. So to say we need a big, fat, static git as a captain who shouts doesn't strictly follow. What is needed is a set of players who can play together as a unit.

Well done DP, good call!!!

Goodbye, big man, you did your best but you'd didn't advance our cause one bit. And I sincerely hope you find a club to carry on playing with.

In yesterday's poll I said I wouldn't buy a season ticket but would attend home games.

Well, this decision means I will not pay 20 quid a fortnight unless players who are as good as Gregan and Hughes are brought in to replace them.

Best player and leading scorer gone and our own fans linking us with League 2 players is not making for an inspiring summer.

Surprise me, Dave.

Goodbye, big man, you did your best but you'd didn't advance our cause one bit. And I sincerely hope you find a club to carry on playing with.

So because we didn't get promoted with him in the team he was of no use to the club? Were Eyresy and Shez both wastes of time as well or were they legends in their own right? Without Gregan we would have doen worse than we have done, he was also a joy to watch for the most part and i'm sad to see him go. It will be interesting to see who DP has lined up, i doubt we will see anyone of his quality, but that doesn't necessarily mean the defence won't be improved with the right addition.

One thing that strikes me as odd - although it probably shouldn't, for reasons that will become apparent - is that Gregan* only ever scored once for us.

*That's G-R-E-G-A-N; at least I'm not going to have to suffer the additional E much longer.

Anyone getting a bit worried that we have let all our experience leave? Crossley, Greegs, Lidds, Slaphead?

A little bit. But it's very early days yet and I can foresee 5 or so new players coming in, with a similar amount leaving. A smaller squad to last season, but hopefully with a bit more quality, passion (goes without saying) and knitted closely. No needless loans and a bit of faith in young lads like Alessandra, Brooke and Smalley.

I personally thought we were too small as a team last season, and it showed off our dismal form in set-pieces. There was only one game I felt we looked a real threat on them (Northampton at home) and Greegs' imapact in opposition boxes, given his size and all, is to put it crude; :censored:.

Good luck big fella. I don't think I'll ever forget the impact you had in your first season here, even if you didn't quite live up to those levels after that.

Can see him somewhere like Hartlepool (replacement for Nelson?), Bradford or Tranmere next season.

i wonder who will get the blame on here next season then, one of the new defenders, all save it for eardley or will people realise hazell was helped alot by the big man next to him

i understand why penny has done it, but im not sure its the correct decision...only time will tell but i think we will miss him.

On balance I think it's the right move. Age, pace, and presumably wage all counted against him. Thanks for the 93 games, good luck with the next move.

It does concern me a little that we're losing experienced players - but they were all on the far side of experienced, and I'd imagine on a few bob. I suspect Penney plans to line up a few late twenty-somethings on lower wages.

I think for Latics, the phrase "you'll never win anything with old pros" could be invented.

Best overall, I thought his leasderships skills were questionable. But his keeness and desire could not really be questioned overall, and that will be hard to replace.

Good luck for the future Sean, Latics Legend.

Not even close to legend status.

He symbolises everything wrong with the Latics this season, his off the field antics have had a detrimental affect on both the team and his individual performances.

His ability as a captain are very questionable with his ability to blame everybody bar himself.

Admittedly on his day he could be immense when he was dealing with big strikers and had to head the ball, he had composure on the ball also. However his lack of pace cost us goals many times this season.

I for one am glad he has gone and would have been disappointed if Penney kept him

In yesterday's poll I said I wouldn't buy a season ticket but would attend home games.

Well, this decision means I will not pay 20 quid a fortnight unless players who are as good as Gregan and Hughes are brought in to replace them.

Best player and leading scorer gone and our own fans linking us with League 2 players is not making for an inspiring summer.

Surprise me, Dave.

After this season

give me a team consisting of hungry players who have stepped up from league two or lower, as opposed to the half arsed football from the team of 'billy big bolloxes' anyday

Surprise me, Dave.

And that will really help won't it.

After this season

give me a team consisting of hungry players who have stepped up from league two or lower, as opposed to the half arsed football from the team of 'billy big bolloxes' anyday

Just don't buy this argument, sorry. Cheltenham, Hereford, Crewe and Northampton were full of hungry but limited players this year.

If he can find players in League 2 or below who really have fallen through the net and are worthy of League 1 football, or even higher, then great. However, if you buy League 2 players, that's where you'll end up.

The manager deserves a chance, that's why I invite him to 'surprise me'.

But it raises the question - after Joe spent most of his time praising Gregan during his 9 game spell, was he saying different things behind his back to Penney, or has Penney thrown Joe's report on the squad out the window and made up his own mind.

Either way, it's not a problem but it's interesting to note.

You are obviously very easily pleased if you think he is a legend.

The man is an arrogant, bullying piss head if you look up to such a man then you have low standards indeed.

Are you Alan Hardy? Or Gregan's wife?

As you obviously have an inside track into the man, as a player and a person. (Don't believe all the absolute :censored:e you read on here).

Your right about the bullying though, he was the only player who ever did a thing to stop us being bullied every match.

Latics Legend.

Edited by Hometownclub

Not sad to see him go, only decent run of form he had with us was during his loan spell where he was immense, since then he's been very suspect at times despite trying push the blame for his mistakes on to other people, the bollocking he gives out on the pitch can't (and haven't helped tbf) our yopunger players.

Now for Allott........................

How about a retained list for OWTB? We might be able to lose a few posters here and there.

Just don't buy this argument, sorry. Cheltenham, Hereford, Crewe and Northampton were full of hungry but limited players this year.

If he can find players in League 2 or below who really have fallen through the net and are worthy of League 1 football, or even higher, then great. However, if you buy League 2 players, that's where you'll end up.

The manager deserves a chance, that's why I invite him to 'surprise me'.

But it raises the question - after Joe spent most of his time praising Gregan during his 9 game spell, was he saying different things behind his back to Penney, or has Penney thrown Joe's report on the squad out the window and made up his own mind.

Either way, it's not a problem but it's interesting to note.

Fair enough we need to bring in players who are good enough unlike the teams that went down this year

But had it not been for the start we had, the team of 'billy big bollox' players would have been relegated

And regarding Joe Royle, see this post, by the looks of it Penney simply did not rate him.

would that be such a bad thing considering aprt from the first 8 games,the shower of :censored: we have had to put up with this season.

there has been a collective opinion on here that these players just arent good enough...yet when the new manager comes in and starts wheeling out the mediocre players we have all lambasted one way or another over this season,people arent happy....why????

Hit nail on head!!!!!!!!!

we're losing one of our best players but if the wage that's freed up brings 2 or 3 new faces in it'll be a good move.

getting rid of the club captain signals the start of a real clearing of the decks which is what most want, isn't it?

Players come, players go.

I think he gave a lot to the cause.

I think he made some mistakes.

Ultimately the new manager wants new things - let's back him in that.

I'm not sure that a highly paid player who may not last another season playing 40+ games is a good thing.

Fair decision to make. Good luck to Greegs.