Average Attendances Higher at BP

he'll be composing a thread about us "growing in stature" as we speak :grin:

Let's celebrate the fact that our average home gate makes us reliant on voluntary weekly subsidies of thousands of pounds from the club owners.

The overall trajectory is downwards, folks. Look at the gates we were getting towards the end of the season.

Let's celebrate the fact that our average home gate makes us reliant on voluntary weekly subsidies of thousands of pounds from the club owners.

The overall trajectory is downwards, folks. Look at the gates we were getting towards the end of the season.

Oh dear. Nowt like ignoring the facts that don't suit your point. I thought it was a downward decline over the last 10 years?

It is.

Dearie me, the straws some people will clutch at.

What was it you said corp? "drifting away from BP in droves."

Ok, go and have a look at the gates and tell me how going from 5588 in 1998 to 5636 now justifies your baseless comment. Go on, give it a go.

Tell you what though, you ignore the facts and say things like "clutching at straws", 'cos that'll convince everyone of how right you are. You might even convince yourself.

(or you could just accept that you were wrong? No?)

What was it you said corp? "drifting away from BP in droves."

Ok, go and have a look at the gates and tell me how going from 5588 in 1998 to 5636 now justifies your baseless comment. Go on, give it a go.

Tell you what though, you ignore the facts and say things like "clutching at straws", 'cos that'll convince everyone of how right you are. You might even convince yourself.

(or you could just accept that you were wrong? No?)

Haven't you noticed that somebody has already asked if this was down to increased away support, due mainly to a number of clubs with large followings being in the division? How long is it since we dipped below 4000? We did that more than once last season, if I remember correctly.

The only thing that matters is that we slowly began to increase our home average during the Chris Moore period, that it remained at a similar level throughout the crisis and during the early TTA years and (overall) has begun to fall away again over the past three seasons-and this despite higher league positions than in any but the Dowie season and no price increases. Most important of all is the fact that takings at the turnstile are nowhere near enough to run the club on, resulting in our having to be subsidised by the owners on a week-by-week basis. If they were ever to call it a day before the stadium redevelopment is completed and we do not get equally generous ownners taking over, where would that leave us? We are an insustainable club.

Haven't you noticed that somebody has already asked if this was down to increased away support...

Yep, I noticed that they "asked" - but if you're going to go thorugh 10 or more seasons working out the impact of bigger clubs (there have been a good number - citeh, sheff weds, forest) - then want to use that, then do so.

The only thing that matters is that we slowly began to increase our home average during the Chris Moore period, that it remained at a similar level throughout the crisis and during the early TTA years and (overall) has begun to fall away again over the past three seasons-and this despite higher league positions than in any but the Dowie season and no price increases.

Yet again ignoring the facts that don't suit. What about the dip in 2006? How does that fit in? Wasn't 2004 bouyed by a sell out freebie? Seems that the "remained at similar levels" argument is a bit hollow, and the fall away over the past 3 was actually a rise from 06 season to 07, a drop from 07 to 08 (somewhat inevitable after the rise) and then a rise from 08 to 09 - so how does all that work out as a fall over 3 seasons? The droves amount to a drop of 160 from what we got in 2006 to what we got this season. And we finished higher in 2006.

5800 in 2002 when Moore's impact was felt and we finished 9th, 5636 now - if you're claiming the Moore years were part of an increase, then we're still around the same level.

Can't be bothered pointing anything else out to you corp, you clearly choose to ignore anything you don't want to see.

What I can see is Corps point that season could be very different.

Our increase could be put down to a couple of games really, Leeds and Leicester.

Next season that could be replaced by much lower games against the likes of Southampton and Norwich.

I hope a couple of judicious signings can help.

However, judging by the reactiontotodays relased elist we could have an ironic situation of some fans complaining that we need to sign lower league players, bargain basement ypes as we cut cloth to the crowds we get and stop wasting money in journeymen. Then complaining that we have signed rubbish players no one has heard of!

Our increase could be put down to a couple of games really, Leeds and Leicester.

All teams played Leeds and Leicester.

And thanks to the joys of Sky we had a much smaller crowd v Leeds than the previous season.

We grew. Others didn't.

Playing good football and winning a bit more suggests Latics could get more through the gates.

For what it's worth we had the 3rd best average away attendance (not away support) behind Leeds and Leicester. So it would appear that not only does the town of Oldham still have faith but we are considered worth watching by the rest of the country.

All teams played Leeds and Leicester.

And thanks to the joys of Sky we had a much smaller crowd v Leeds than the previous season.

We grew. Others didn't.

Playing good football and winning a bit more suggests Latics could get more through the gates.

Don't forget the table I showed is OUR increase year on year not the overall.

But yes I concede you are absolutely right about Leeds, from 10,000 gate to 7,000.

Also the Joe and the Trannie game also raised our average.

This year, with a lot of distance or poorly supported teams, we will drop evenif we are playing well. (assuming no promos) Of that I am willing to put money on.

Don't get me wrong and increase is good, but I don;t thinkl we shoudl see it is was part of an overall trend. And the TTA are not daft either. Hence A "slight" reduction in the budget, they are sensibly planning for a drop in attendances.

I am going to do a little spreadsheet comparing the teams to seee where the differences are. That is my geekiness coming out by the way!

Don't forget the table I showed is OUR increase year on year not the overall.

But yes I concede you are absolutely right about Leeds, from 10,000 gate to 7,000.

At the end of the day, it is th emoney in the bank for the TTA. don't forget the promotional games.

Also the Joe and the Trannie game also raised our average.

This year, with a lot of distance or poorly supported teams, we will drop evenif we are playing well. (assuming no promos) Of that I am willing to put money on.

Don't get me wrong and increase is good, but I don;t thinkl we shoudl see it is was part of an overall trend. And the TTA are not daft either. Hence A "slight" reduction in the budget, they are sensibly planning for a drop in attendances.

I am going to do a little spreadsheet comparing the teams to seee where the differences are. That is my geekiness coming out by the way!

Don't know if this can be formatted better

.................................08/09 07/08 Var

Leyton Orient............. 6,839 ..4,325 ..2514 ..37%

Tranmere Rovers........7,489 ..5,442 ..2047 ..27%

Huddersfield Town.......7,418 ..5,637 ..1781 ..24%

Carlisle United............6,254 ..4,701 ..1553 ..25%

Millwall.......................5,367 ..4,391 ..976 ..18%

Swindon Town.............4,712 ..3,923 ..789 ..17%

Yeovil Town................5,318 ..4,781 ..537 ..10%

Hartlepool United.........4,211 ..3,765 ..446 ..11%

Northampton Town......4,629 ..4,870 ..-241 ..-5%

Southend United.........4,830 ..5,151 ..-321 ..-7%

Brighton & Hove Albion.4,803 ..5,168 ..-365 ..-8%

Crewe Alexandra.........4,334 ..5,082 ..-748 ..-17%

Walsall.......................3,936 ..5,292 ..-1356 ..-34%

Bristol Rovers.............3,745 ..5,348 ..-1603 ..-43%

Cheltenham Town.......4,673 ..6,400 ..-1727 ..-37%

Leeds United...............7,835 ..10,054 ..-2219 ..-8% 2063

Colchester United........4,591 ..#N/A ..#N/A

Hereford United..........5,468 ..#N/A ..#N/A

Leicester City...............8,901 ..#N/A ..#N/A

Milton Keynes Dons.....5,530 ..#N/A ..#N/A

Peterborough United...5,083 ..#N/A ..#N/A

Scunthorpe United......6,057 ..#N/A ..#N/A

Stockport County.......7,605 ..#N/A ..#N/A

Edited by singe

Haven't you noticed that somebody has already asked if this was down to increased away support, due mainly to a number of clubs with large followings being in the division? How long is it since we dipped below 4000? We did that more than once last season, if I remember correctly.

The only thing that matters is that we slowly began to increase our home average during the Chris Moore period, that it remained at a similar level throughout the crisis and during the early TTA years and (overall) has begun to fall away again over the past three seasons-and this despite higher league positions than in any but the Dowie season and no price increases. Most important of all is the fact that takings at the turnstile are nowhere near enough to run the club on, resulting in our having to be subsidised by the owners on a week-by-week basis. If they were ever to call it a day before the stadium redevelopment is completed and we do not get equally generous ownners taking over, where would that leave us? We are an insustainable club.

Didnt we have the likes of Preston and Burnley and even City in this division 10 years ago all bringing around 4K, then they left and we had Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke bringing 3K even Cardif brought 2500. Had a lot more local derbys in the division also with the likes of Wigan, Bury, Blackpool, Hudds..

I dont think this years ave visiting attendence is much different to that of 5/10 years ago

Edited by NIKI1234