So we're back to 2005

but possibly without the feelgood factor we had after the meeting in the Rocky Road End. We narrowly avoided relegation with a team that was widely perceived to be full of Billy Big Bollox attitudes. New manager Ronnie Moore shipped out most of what we perceived to be deadwood with a tinge of disappointment that we had lost quality players such as Betsy.

So forward to 2009, is the budget as good as it was in 2005? I doubt it tbh, so will there be provision to sign the Wellens', The Porters, Liddells etc...

A note of caution, we flattered to deceive in 05/06 and the manager was hounded out - the same core of players reached the play offs the year after. whoever DP brings in lets get behind them and DP for at least 3 years, yet again the club is starting from scratch imo and it will take time to gel - we all said that before 05/06 and yet so many lost patience so quickly. Let's put our faith in DP and get behind the club. If you haven't signed up for a ST do so if you can afford it and let's ensure we can bring in the best quality we can.

Oh and despite my criticisms of TTA, yet again they are willing to back a new manager, despite these difficult times and I'm sure we'll bring in players that are better or at least as good as those that have been released.

I give him less than a season before the knives are out to the extent that he loses his job.

NB. It's great advocating giving managers three years and then calling for their heads before that time is up.

Less than a season? If we start bad then the knives will be out before September.

I give him less than a season before the knives are out to the extent that he loses his job.

NB. It's great advocating giving managers three years and then calling for their heads before that time is up.

Is that a dig? If it is note that Shez was always going to get until the end of the season. Which meant he would have had 3 years. Just because someone is criticised doesn't mean he should be sacked immediately. Even Royle wasn't above criticism. Oh and despite Moore's footballing style I was prepared to back him and did so by being one of the few that bought my season ticket BEFORE he was sacked. Unlike the :censored:-outs that witheld their money forcing the club's hand.

TTA are as guilty as anyone when it comes to impatience.

They've appointed 3 managers who they've then sacked which doesn't reflect well upon their own judgement and recruitment skills.

As yet, there's is no concrete evidence of decent financial backing for the new manager.

However, in spite of all that, I'm keen to see what Penney will do over the summer and hopefully I'll feel inspired enough to get to BP by the start of the season. Having sacked 2 managers who have contirbuted 4 consecutive top 10 finishes, I presume only the playoffs will do for TTA or Dave will be looking for a new job not long after he's finished finding a new squad for them.

TTA are as guilty as anyone when it comes to impatience.

They've appointed 3 managers who they've then sacked which doesn't reflect well upon their own judgement and recruitment skills.

As yet, there's is no concrete evidence of decent financial backing for the new manager.

However, in spite of all that, I'm keen to see what Penney will do over the summer and hopefully I'll feel inspired enough to get to BP by the start of the season. Having sacked 2 managers who have contirbuted 4 consecutive top 10 finishes, I presume only the playoffs will do for TTA or Dave will be looking for a new job not long after he's finished finding a new squad for them.

Going further back we have 6 top 10 finishes out of the last 8, so on the field we have made some progress from the late 90s/turn of the century but what we need now is not only a settled team but a settled figure on the touchline.

I will renew - sing and shout for every player in blue n white, will act like an 11 year old - bust a few blood vessels at the ref - course I will - whatever happens Tics til I die - win or lose, have a booze. My team's poor performances don't get me down as much as whinge arses and non singers. They are the only ones that may make me hang up me season ticket one day!

I will renew - sing and shout for every player in blue n white, will act like an 11 year old - bust a few blood vessels at the ref - course I will - whatever happens Tics til I die - win or lose, have a booze. My team's poor performances don't get me down as much as whinge arses and non singers. They are the only ones that may make me hang up me season ticket one day!

As someone (Watty?) might have said "Don't let the b*st*rds grind you down" mate.

(Edit: I can't even censor my own posts...)

Edited by martjs

Oh I wont my friend - in fact they only fuel my enthusiasm to sing more - Neal bashers reallty got me backing the young Welsh marauder indeed. I miffed someone by singing der der de der der Ooh Kelvin Lomax, I applauded the team off after a few bad performances to some frowns - they give me more fire in me belly to shout louder and be even more sillyer - bring on next season!!!

Why do people always have to make comparisons to the past? Of course we will have fans pissing and moaning and writing off the manager, some are doing that already for gods sake, you just have to learn to ignore them and realise they are pretty stupid people.

We have a new young manager who not only has loads of potential and ambition, but also a decent record so far, we haven't had that before. He can mould his own team but is left with some decent young players he will improve. The only way i see the situation improving much more at the club short of winning the euro millions is having a 4 sided ground.

• 1 year later...
A note of caution, we flattered to deceive in 05/06 and the manager was hounded out - the same core of players reached the play offs the year after. whoever DP brings in lets get behind them and DP for at least 3 years, yet again the club is starting from scratch imo and it will take time to gel - we all said that before 05/06 and yet so many lost patience so quickly. Let's put our faith in DP and get behind the club. If you haven't signed up for a ST do so if you can afford it and let's ensure we can bring in the best quality we can.

How long did your faith last, Paul? :blush:

How long did your faith last, Paul? :blush:

Until we had 3 against 1 against Leeds, 1 nil down and Whitaker turns backwards and plays it back to Gregan!!!! That moment told me Penney had assembled a team that didn't want to go for the throat in games, only to try and survive in them but having said that I was resigned to see him seeing out his contract but I certainly wasn't sad to see him go...

Edited by oafcprozac

but possibly without the feelgood factor we had after the meeting in the Rocky Road End. We narrowly avoided relegation with a team that was widely perceived to be full of Billy Big Bollox attitudes. New manager Ronnie Moore shipped out most of what we perceived to be deadwood with a tinge of disappointment that we had lost quality players such as Betsy.

So forward to 2009, is the budget as good as it was in 2005? I doubt it tbh, so will there be provision to sign the Wellens', The Porters, Liddells etc...

Oh and despite my criticisms of TTA, yet again they are willing to back a new manager, despite these difficult times and I'm sure we'll bring in players that are better or at least as good as those that have been released.

How wrong was I?

Paddy was bored last night and went hunting old posts before I went watching Wayne Bentley. Ormerod has been heard by a few Latics fans too.

Ormerod has hardly played all year, so I hope it remains just a rumour - i'd rather try and get Feeney fit and doing what we pay him for...