They're saying that alex fergie is the best manager in the world.. but i wonder if he could take a non-league team up to the premiership with low budgets, if he did then i would call him the best manager in the world

You can't argue with 11 titles, two European cups and loads of other cups....He's had a lot of money to play with...lots of it...but in the early years (talking 86 - 91), whilst they had as much money to throw around as Liverpool and Arsenal, I wouldn't say they had significantly more to play with than those two... obviously this changed in the early 90s as United marched onto another level...on the field and off the field...

As well getting it right more than he's got it wrong with his buys, he's also overseen the bringing through of some excellent homegrown talent - Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Nevilles..etc etc

They say that football is a results game and he's shown time and again that he gets the right results at the highest level... so I don't really see who else it could be.

This season however, like BB80 I think Hodgson's hard to overlook for Manager of the Year.

but i wonder if he could take a non-league team up to the premiership with low budgets, if he did then i would call him the best manager in the world

If Taggart jr can get Peterborough promoted next season, he could stake a claim. Not quite non-league, but damned close!

Best manager in my lifetime? Struggling to see beyond Bob Paisley or Brian Clough, but under Ferguson Man Utd has changed from a £10m business (remember the Knighton bid) to a £1bn business.

Edited by opinions4u

They're saying that alex fergie is the best manager in the world.. but i wonder if he could take a non-league team up to the premiership with low budgets, if he did then i would call him the best manager in the world

Well he didn't always have a silver spoon in his mouth he started out at East Stirling (or somewhere like that) and has worked his way to the top. As much as it sticks in my throat I think it's hard to argue that's he's not the best.

Budget will always dictate how far you can take a club, but Taggart has taken (argueably) the biggest club in the world to be world champions from being a bit of a shambles in 1986 when he took over. But had he lost against us in "that" semi final in 1990 things might have been very different.

Well he didn't always have a silver spoon in his mouth he started out at East Stirling (or somewhere like that) and has worked his way to the top. As much as it sticks in my throat I think it's hard to argue that's he's not the best.

I'm pretty certain on his first game in charge, he slapped a big board advertising the forthcoming match on the roof of his car and drove around the town to drum up support.

And a lot of "pundits" have said it's an impressive feat to break up the Old Firm stranglehold with Aberdeen and win not only the League but also the European Cup.

But I agree that Roy Hodgson should get the Manager of the Season award because the improvement in Fulham has been significantly greater than Ferguson with United.

To what criteria is a manager classed as 'the best.'

When people are saying Hodgson, Moyes etc, these are indeed good calls. However, if the best manager is based on 'winning trophies/championships/titles, then surely Ferguson (as much as many of us dislike Taggart) wins it hands down.

If not, then please somebody name a 'top class' manager who has won as much in the game at that level in the last ? years.

Budget will always dictate how far you can take a club, but Taggart has taken (argueably) the biggest club in the world to be world champions from being a bit of a shambles in 1986 when he took over. But had he lost against us in "that" semi final in 1990 things might have been very different.

Correct! He'd have been sacked very soon if we'd have overcome them in the semi-final. They'd had a very poor run leaguewise that season, and the couple preceding it. There were certainly rumbles of discontent coming from down Stretford way in the late 80's!

I feel Fergie fell a bit lucky in a way, and I'm not saying that with a green-eyed envy view of it either. United brought through a batch of exceptional youngsters all at the same time, and coupled it with picking out world-class players on the cheap like Cantona, Irwin and Schmeicel. Extraordinary timing! Not only that, they started their conveyer belt of trophies at a time when money was seriously being pumped into football, consistantly playing in the newly formed (and mega-rich) Champions League enabaling them to reinforce what they had, turn Castle Greyskull into a huge stadium double the size therefore doubling the income. They could easily have become another woefully unerachieving, yet large club like Newcastle, or even Leeds had they not got the first bit right and struck gold at completely the right time.

It's always fun explaining this to United fans too, who seem to whack their blinkers straight on when you point it out to them.

Fergie pah! If it wasn't for a Mark Robbins goal or a dodgy decision by a linesman who openly suppported Man U he'd have been fired before he won a trophy. (Love it when manure fans convieniently forget this). Clough took two teams from the second division to winning the league in very few seasons (and one won the European cup). Paisley/Shankly won a lot of European trophies at anfield and if it wasn't for Heysel Daglish would have won a lot more IMHO. Fergie is good but if he was as good as idiots who have no idea baout his history say Scotland would not have got knocked out in the first round of the world cup in Mexico 86 and United would have won a lot more trophies. He's had the advantage of being ManUre's manager whilst the premiergreed existed ManUre in the 70s/80s under Fergie wouldn't have won half the trphies they have now purely because money didn't matter as much then as it does now. I could manage ManUre to a premiership title in the time fergie has and so could most people if you have the money you have the players.

Fergie pah! If it wasn't for a Mark Robbins goal or a dodgy decision by a linesman who openly suppported Man U he'd have been fired before he won a trophy. (Love it when manure fans convieniently forget this). Clough took two teams from the second division to winning the league in very few seasons (and one won the European cup). Paisley/Shankly won a lot of European trophies at anfield and if it wasn't for Heysel Daglish would have won a lot more IMHO. Fergie is good but if he was as good as idiots who have no idea baout his history say Scotland would not have got knocked out in the first round of the world cup in Mexico 86 and United would have won a lot more trophies. He's had the advantage of being ManUre's manager whilst the premiergreed existed ManUre in the 70s/80s under Fergie wouldn't have won half the trphies they have now purely because money didn't matter as much then as it does now. I could manage ManUre to a premiership title in the time fergie has and so could most people if you have the money you have the players.

:crackpot:

You tell yourself that.