Latics put on Haining Alert

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Stam ever been part of a partnership?

E4e

BENCH

Have a look at the stats for season 07/08!!!

Also, Stam was second to Eardley for appearances so that blows the injury prone argument out.

Anyway Stam's gone, Gregan's gone. Let's move on.

Just had a quick look on the St. Mirren message board and Haining is a name consistently brought up to offer new terms to. So if the SPL is better quality than League 1 then we should give serious consideration to signing him.

Just had a quick look on the St. Mirren message board and Haining is a name consistently brought up to offer new terms to. So if the SPL is better quality than League 1 then we should give serious consideration to signing him.

Nothing against Will personally, I think I'd take him back if he's developed at all over the last few years, but there is no way that the SPL is better than L1.

Nothing against Will personally, I think I'd take him back if he's developed at all over the last few years, but there is no way that the SPL is better than L1.

Obviously the two big Glasgow clubs are...and I'd suggest that the 2 big Edinburgh clubs are also. Other than that...the rest are League One or below in standard. Like was discussed on another thread, you get players playing in League Two who could make a step up to our level...the also-rans in the SPL will have that too. St Mirren wanting to keep Haining suggests he could move to a higher club...maybe not one of the 4 I've mentioned, but one higher that St Mirren. Thus that means moving back to England as no-one else in the SPL fits the bill.

Edited by boundaryblue80

It could all depend on his reasons for wanting to move.

That could be footballing ... in which case why would he want to join Latics?

It could be that Michelle's homesick ... in which case Latics would be an option he'd want to consider.

It could be Michelle wants to live in London (where she presumably does a lot of her work) in which case Latics isn't an obvious option for him.

Don't know, don't care.

Could do a job for us, just don't think he'd make us better.

I see from some earlier posts on this thread that the reason Hazell was costing us nearly a goal a game towards the end of the season was the fact that he was injured. :shock::huh::blink:<_<

So we are saying that we were playing an injured Hazell in games which didn't matter as the play-offs were long gone and he was costing us goals and making shocking individual errors due to his injury? even though we had the ever fit rock that was Stam waiting in the wings.

So Joe would sooner have played an injured and woeful Hazell rather than take a chance on Stam, I'm sorry but that is impossible to believe, Joe must certainly not have rated Stam much.

Truth of the situation is we need 2 centre halfs and none of them is either Haining or Hazell, as Hazell is under contract he will be here to provide back up.

It could all depend on his reasons for wanting to move.

That could be footballing ... in which case why would he want to join Latics?

It could be that Michelle's homesick ... in which case Latics would be an option he'd want to consider.

It could be Michelle wants to live in London (where she presumably does a lot of her work) in which case Latics isn't an obvious option for him.

Don't know, don't care.

Could do a job for us, just don't think he'd make us better.

Now she's a mum won't the 'twins' be somewhat heading south? Thus meaning the work may begin to start drying up anyway?

I see from some earlier posts on this thread that the reason Hazell was costing us nearly a goal a game towards the end of the season was the fact that he was injured. :shock::huh::blink:<_<

So we are saying that we were playing an injured Hazell in games which didn't matter as the play-offs were long gone and he was costing us goals and making shocking individual errors due to his injury? even though we had the ever fit rock that was Stam waiting in the wings.

So Joe would sooner have played an injured and woeful Hazell rather than take a chance on Stam, I'm sorry but that is impossible to believe, Joe must certainly not have rated Stam much.

Truth of the situation is we need 2 centre halfs and none of them is either Haining or Hazell, as Hazell is under contract he will be here to provide back up.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1654487,00.html

Not quite how you're painting it...

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1654487,00.html

Not quite how you're painting it...

I still think its nonsense to say he was playing with a long standing groin problem, which was affecting his performance to the degree that he was costing us a goal nearly every game.

Those matches didn't matter a jot, so why didn't he go get the groin operation.

He obviously felt he was okay to play, so was allowed too.

To then say the problem was the reason for his shocking blunders is ridiculous, if he really felt that this was the reason he would surely have come clean and said I'm not fit to play as I'm costing the team nearly a goal every game.

I still think its nonsense to say he was playing with a long standing groin problem, which was affecting his performance to the degree that he was costing us a goal nearly every game.

To then say the problem was the reason for his shocking blunders is ridiculous, if he really felt that this was the reason he would surely have come clean and said I'm not fit to play as I'm costing the team nearly a goal every game.

A goal every game? Ok...if you say so...

I don't think the injury has helped him, but I don't blame that for his performances. I blame them on the whole team not performing. On a bashing of confidence as Shez's wheels came off...then he had the worse player in many a season next to him in Hines, plus add in the fact he was suspended for a couple of games and came back even more underpar. Until he signed his contract he was very good and solid all season. Just coz he hasn't got a swagger though, he's not good enough apparently. Strange that.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I believe I asked the question as to whether or not this problem affected his form. I didn't use it as an excuse for his performances. Feel free to trawl back and see if I said different, I can't be bothered though.

Going under the surgeon's knife isn't a decision to take lightly. Some problems simply clear up themselves given the right exercise regime.

Maybe that was the right decision at the time. Maybe not. Do you know better than the player, the physio and the surgeon as to what course of action was best?

To then say the problem was the reason for his shocking blunders is ridiculous
It may have been playing on his mind. He may not even have been aware of the problem affecting his game (even if it was). He may, for all any of us know and many have suggested simply playing :censored:e for a period of time for no obvious reason.

if he really felt that this was the reason he would surely have come clean and said I'm not fit to play as I'm costing the team nearly a goal every game.
I don't think he ever said it was the reason. Some bloke on a message board simply asked a question. Edited by opinions4u

A goal every game? Ok...if you say so...

I don't think the injury has helped him, but I don't blame that for his performances. I blame them on the whole team not performing. On a bashing of confidence as Shez's wheels came off...then he had the worse player in many a season next to him in Hines, plus add in the fact he was suspended for a couple of games and came back even more underpar. Until he signed his contract he was very good and solid all season. Just coz he hasn't got a swagger though, he's not good enough apparently. Strange that.

I really don't have anything against Hazell and I think he will make a good back up Centre Half (rather like Stam was).

I just think DP will be looking to bring in 2 new (bigger) Centre Halves.

In particular the goal against Yeovil away and Colchester at home were for me shocking individual errors by Hazell and if (as I'm sure he has) DP has watched footage of them then I would be surprised if he sees him as a first choice next season.

In fact I would go so far as to say if he hadn't signed a contract extension prior to his less than impressive performances at the backend of the season he would have been released by Penney (injured or not).

In particular the goal against Yeovil away and Colchester at home were for me shocking individual errors by Hazell

This comment really, really, really irritates the :censored: out of me!!! As it has done several other times this has come up on here. Fleming rushes out!!! Hazell heads it back to where Fleming should have been...Fleming had no reason to come flying out, just like he didn't against Posh either...that Yeovil goal was never, ever Hazells error and it :censored:s me off that people still want to land that one on him!

Colchester, I can't disagree with. Cringeworthy...his only one IMO. And the examples given certainly don't add up to "costing us a goal nearly every game!" You might not have anything against Hazell...which is even more worrying as some do! And the fact you're building, what to me is, a false picture of the lad does nothing but fuel this rubbish about him. Our player of the season!

Edited by boundaryblue80

This comment really, really, really irritates the :censored: out of me!!! As it has done several other times this has come up on here. Fleming rushes out!!! Hazell heads it back to where Fleming should have been...Fleming had no reason to come flying out, just like he didn't against Posh either...that Yeovil goal was never, ever Hazells error and it :censored:s me off that people still want to land that one on him!

Colchester, I can't disagree with. Cringeworthy...his only one IMO. And the examples given certainly don't add up to "costing us a goal nearly every game!" You might not have anything against Hazell...which is even more worrying as some do! And the fact you're building, what to me is, a false picture of the lad does nothing but fuel this rubbish about him. Our player of the season!

Millwall :angel: