Latics put on Haining Alert

Don't talk such absolute complete and utter sense man!!! :wink:

Some of the talk about Rubes is mind-boggling...no doubt those who think he's such a liability are still saying the sun shines out of Gregans arse and are still struggling to come to terms with the fact he's gone. 2008/9 season...there was only 1 real liability in that back line above others...he just happened to have a few good games late on in the season while his partner suffered an injury nobody knew about.

Rubes, from his press comments from his time here, loves the club...exactly what we need right now!!!

Agree wholeheartedy - Rubes has been consistent and a vital part of our team - don't see why he wont again next season - bring it on!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't talk such absolute complete and utter sense man!!! :wink:

Some of the talk about Rubes is mind-boggling...no doubt those who think he's such a liability are still saying the sun shines out of Gregans arse and are still struggling to come to terms with the fact he's gone. 2008/9 season...there was only 1 real liability in that back line above others...he just happened to have a few good games late on in the season while his partner suffered an injury nobody knew about.

Rubes, from his press comments from his time here, loves the club...exactly what we need right now!!!

PS Back on topic...Haining...probably the sort we're looking at financially at present. Would take him for a season, but injuries must clear up again. On another point though, in the same breath as ruling our Haining comments about us being a team challenging next season are used...how worrying, if people are expecting that! I really can see the tide already starting to lap very slowly on Penney without a ball kicked...the comments about raiding for ex-Darlo players, comments over letting certain players go and offering Wolfy a chance to prove himself. And some displaying a completely absurd notion that we're building for a challenge next season. Stability next season folks! Expect any more and lump blame on the manager when we're mid-table (as I imagine) and well...let's dance the fandango once again!

no to haining, never go back (people argue) and he wasnt good enough to be in a promotion team in the first place

as for rubes, i have a funny feeling we will find out how good he is next season now greegs has gone who i think looked after him alot. (he bailed greegs awell)

i hope we have 2 new starters at centre half next season because rubes is not the man for me, he loves here.....so what

he has pace and wins a few headers but he is not strong enough mentaly, he is ok but is ok enough for us to step up..in this league

haninig and rubes are very sinilar, neither are the answer though imo

Haining is a good player (didn't realise he was only 26) and he could do a job for Oldham. Him and Rubes are quite similar players (good- at this level- on most bits of the game but not great at anything). I still have visions/nightmares though when his name is mentioned of him chasing in vein after Keigan Parker in the play-off semi. Him and Rubes would be a decent centre-half partnership but I think they would struggle against players with genuine pace or who are good in the air (ala Baz Savage/Clive Platt). If we were to sign him I'd be looking for our other centre-half (need at least 3 if not 4 in a squad) to be quite tall.

Will Hainings St Mirren today avoided relegation to the second division by goal difference alone. Is that really where we want to be looking for players?

I thought Fleming was a decent acquisition.

But have no strong desire to see Haining back.

Do the SPL teams go down two divisions?

Hi footy, Do you belive that the bottom of the SPL is equivalent to a) Bottom of Premier League (Division One) b.) Anywhere in the Championship (Div 2) c) Mid Table Division One (Div 3) ?

Edited by singe

no to haining, never go back (people argue) and he wasnt good enough to be in a promotion team in the first place

as for rubes, i have a funny feeling we will find out how good he is next season now greegs has gone who i think looked after him alot. (he bailed greegs awell)

i hope we have 2 new starters at centre half next season because rubes is not the man for me, he loves here.....so what

he has pace and wins a few headers but he is not strong enough mentaly, he is ok but is ok enough for us to step up..in this league

haninig and rubes are very sinilar, neither are the answer though imo

Rubes and Stam had a good partnership when Gregan was injured season before last.

Rubes and Stam had a good partnership when Gregan was injured season before last.

cant disagee with that, but although solid ive never thought he is what we need, dont get me wrong he has been a good solid player for us but i prefer defenders who are comfortable on the ball when in possession,im not talking bekenbauer (spelling?) comfortable, but enough to get your head up when needed.

Gregan has it, stam has to a point, hazell does not , trotman needs to improve it greatly to ever play regular for pne imo

i have just never felt really happy with him there, he makes me nervous and the mistakes have been creeping in more and more this season

squad player? yes but i think we can find better this season especially with all the players that are going to be available in this pre-season.

and no, i dont have anyone in mind

comfortable, but enough to get your head up when needed.

Gregan has it, stam has to a point, hazell does not

Very very interesting....ya see, I would find it very very difficult to get my head up if the person who's fault it was for the goal turned and blamed and berated me...as Gregans often did to other players throughout his Latics career for goals he was at fault for. At the end of the 2006/7 season, he constantly barraged Pogs and Haining for stuff that wasn't their fault and has done it many times since with other partners. All very easy for Greegs to strut off, puffing out his shoulders while his fellow centre-back has been left bemused and pissed off by it. Just this last season, I was pointing out on here several times he'd be at fault and he'd snap at Hazell which led to them barely even acknowledging one another during the 90mins. El Captino? Not for me...and no surprise Stam and Hazell looked decent together when they got a rare appearance together.

Very very interesting....ya see, I would find it very very difficult to get my head up if the person who's fault it was for the goal turned and blamed and berated me...as Gregans often did to other players throughout his Latics career for goals he was at fault for. At the end of the 2006/7 season, he constantly barraged Pogs and Haining for stuff that wasn't their fault and has done it many times since with other partners. All very easy for Greegs to strut off, puffing out his shoulders while his fellow centre-back has been left bemused and pissed off by it. Just this last season, I was pointing out on here several times he'd be at fault and he'd snap at Hazell which led to them barely even acknowledging one another during the 90mins. El Captino? Not for me...and no surprise Stam and Hazell looked decent together when they got a rare appearance together.

Thast's why I think it was a bit harsh to let Stam go. He was worth another season IMO.

That is almost exactly, nah, it is exactly how I feel about it. Stammy had weaknesses, as does Rubes, but to me they were their own weaknesses and that's it. Greegans blame game antics during almost every game meant that his weakness drastically damaged the rest of the team. That's not what I want from my players, let alone my supposed leaders.

sorry i think you have misunderstood, what i mean is comfortable in possession of a football, when in control, turning, getting your head up to find a man, hazell distribution is terrible which is why i mentioned trotman aswell, both stam and greegs are decent with the ball, which is why rubes worries me with pass backs and the like. and he always punts rather than sends the ball with a deliberate intention imo

just because someone shouts at you and blames you for a mistake should not affect you to a great extent especially if you are a proffesional at this level

sorry i think you have misunderstood, what i mean is comfortable in possession of a football, when in control, turning, getting your head up to find a man, hazell distribution is terrible which is why i mentioned trotman aswell, both stam and greegs are decent with the ball, which is why rubes worries me with pass backs and the like. and he always punts rather than sends the ball with a deliberate intention imo

just because someone shouts at you and blames you for a mistake should not affect you to a great extent especially if you are a proffesional at this level

Ahhh...head up in that way...ok, yeah, will give you that one! Agree to some extent, although Gregan became fond of punting too last season. A lot of the time, with his head...inviting it straight back onto us from the halfway line.

As for your last paragraph...I agree to a point...the point being Respect...for me, Gregan never earned it off any of the players coz of how he was and it showed. That's when it does make you a different person...anyone who works with a collegue they have little respect for will find it difficult to get on, work with and so and so.

Ahhh...head up in that way...ok, yeah, will give you that one! Agree to some extent, although Gregan became fond of punting too last season. A lot of the time, with his head...inviting it straight back onto us from the halfway line.

As for your last paragraph...I agree to a point...the point being Respect...for me, Gregan never earned it off any of the players coz of how he was and it showed. That's when it does make you a different person...anyone who works with a collegue they have little respect for will find it difficult to get on, work with and so and so.

fair boint but on the other side of the coin, rubes has been in the game along time maybe he should have the balls to give back as good as he gets.

its not an office job afterall, people fall out on the pitch all the time, i certainly wouldnt mind 2 of my players bumping heads once in a while.

imo thats been one of our problems over, to many weak minded players who wont stand up for themselves against team mates and opponents at times

you dont have to like someone to play good football with them