Eardley to Huddesfield ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that may help prevent us selling the Galatics (Oldham's version of Galaticos), is that a lot of higher earners are now off the books.

Also, the fact that even in the depths of the recession they backed Shez with the likes of Windass, Byfield etc, and then paying Big Joe's wages, says they are still willing to put their hand in the pocket.

Assuming the TTA "write off" that money (in other words not converted to a loan or similar) then we can start the season with a relatively clean slate and a smaller budget, luckily the TTA have gone public saying it would only be a little smaller.

Whether the TTA can afford the losses is the bigger issue, who knows what the US economy is doing to their US business.

So, I would be happier with a smaller budget (for our long term future) and enable us to build a team round Eardley and Taylor. more of a team of players than superstar players plus supporting cast.

Therefore, I think some fans need to lower their expectation of our targetted type of player.

One thing that may help prevent us selling the Galatics (Oldham's version of Galaticos), is that a lot of higher earners are now off the books.

Also, the fact that even in the depths of the recession they backed Shez with the likes of Windass, Byfield etc, and then paying Big Joe's wages, says they are still willing to put their hand in the pocket.

Assuming the TTA "write off" that money (in other words not converted to a loan or similar) then we can start the season with a relatively clean slate and a smaller budget, luckily the TTA have gone public saying it would only be a little smaller.

Whether the TTA can afford the losses is the bigger issue, who knows what the US economy is doing to their US business.

So, I would be happier with a smaller budget (for our long term future) and enable us to build a team round Eardley and Taylor. more of a team of players than superstar players plus supporting cast.

Therefore, I think some fans need to lower their expectation of our targetted type of player.

Good post but i'm so mad right now, this needs to be said. Can people stop saying 'the TTA' which in effect means 'the The Three Amigos', a small part of me dies inside everytime this happens.

Thanks.

Good post but i'm so mad right now, this needs to be said. Can people stop saying 'the TTA' which in effect means 'the The Three Amigos', a small part of me dies inside everytime this happens.

Thanks.

also keep the faith so corny and gay makes me cringe

I'm guessing that amidst all this opinion, honest or otherwise, the only fact is that none of us really know what the owners' budget is... Personally I'll be surprised if it is anything like last year, which is why I think we need to look to cultivate a smaller squad this season with versatile players throughout the squad - for this reason alone I'd say that Purdie looks like a good signing.

Eardley fits that mould too, as he can play full-back, CM and probably even RM at a push - the guy is just a good footballer and we need to do everything we can to keep players of his caliber. To me he is a full-back, and I think if we can get a steady right wing partnership going next season between him and A.N. Other such as he had with Liddell then we should see a real talent.

Despite his nomination for team of the year I actually thought he was poor last year for long stretches, probably caused by apathy born out of being in and out of the team, abuse from the fans, bad club atmosphere and maybe even issues with Shez that others allude to. To sell him now, having had a season that has gone wrong, then I think we end up getting bottom dollar for him - £500k up to £750k if we are very lucky. Realistically I think Huddersfield will be more like to bid around £3-400k.

I'd rather get a proper season out of the lad and hope to see him fulfil his potential, by showcasing the best elements of his game - athleticism and attacking full-back play. We do that and I think we could command £1m in the market, and should it go to tribunal we are unlikely to get less than half that. Maybe we have a good season with him a valuable contributor and get him signed up for longer?

I'm guessing that amidst all this opinion, honest or otherwise, the only fact is that none of us really know what the owners' budget is... Personally I'll be surprised if it is anything like last year, which is why I think we need to look to cultivate a smaller squad this season with versatile players throughout the squad - for this reason alone I'd say that Purdie looks like a good signing.

Eardley fits that mould too, as he can play full-back, CM and probably even RM at a push - the guy is just a good footballer and we need to do everything we can to keep players of his caliber. To me he is a full-back, and I think if we can get a steady right wing partnership going next season between him and A.N. Other such as he had with Liddell then we should see a real talent.

Despite his nomination for team of the year I actually thought he was poor last year for long stretches, probably caused by apathy born out of being in and out of the team, abuse from the fans, bad club atmosphere and maybe even issues with Shez that others allude to. To sell him now, having had a season that has gone wrong, then I think we end up getting bottom dollar for him - £500k up to £750k if we are very lucky. Realistically I think Huddersfield will be more like to bid around £3-400k.

I'd rather get a proper season out of the lad and hope to see him fulfil his potential, by showcasing the best elements of his game - athleticism and attacking full-back play. We do that and I think we could command £1m in the market, and should it go to tribunal we are unlikely to get less than half that. Maybe we have a good season with him a valuable contributor and get him signed up for longer?

Without the financial facts we know nothing. At the moment all I can go off is the words of the owners who seem to state that the budget will only be slightly down from last year. As wage demands are expected to be lower, this could mean that in real terms, the budget will not go down at all.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I think Stu Vose's web work has been off for sometime, his typing has become lack lustre and he doesnt seem to have the heart he had when he first joined, he is a passeger.

I'm also thinking that the grass isn't growing quick enough. Christ - it's June and growing season is nearly over...they've put sand on it the idiots - everyone knows soil with some marmite mixed in is good for grass.

Very good post vega

And you can add Taylor giving more credibility to your theory. As right wing, left wing, striker, keeper(!). Which is why building a team round them is a good idea, and not selling them cheaply. But I think that part of thesubject is covered already!

Edited by singe