Transfer Merry Go round

Hudd. to Latics...

Worthington, 26, 2 year deal, Free...

Loaned out to Yeovil at the start of 2009..

Latics to Tranmere...

Allot, 31, 2 year deal, Free...

2007/2008 Player of the season..

Tranmere to Hudd...

Tony Kay, 26, 2 year deal, Bosman Free

Last seasons fans player of the season

I hope its not us!

-------------------------------------------------------

When I read about these three transfers it hardly inspires does it.

3 teams who all missed out on the plat-offs switching players....none of which are likely to have a big impact. Its all in the blend I suppose though.

Hudd. to Latics...

Latics to Tranmere...

Tranmere to Hudd...

I hope its not us!

Allott's the one from whom they know exactly what they're going to get - with Worthington it's fingers crossed he'll rediscover his previous form and with Kay it'll be fingers crossed he fulfils his potential as I bet he's not cheap.

I'd rather look at it that we've got rid of a player in his thirties who is a very average player in this division and replaced him with someone five years younger who is certainly no worse a player, probably saving ourselves a few quid in the process that can be spent elsewhere.

Edited by Latics & England

I'd rather look at it that we've got rid of a player in his thirties who is a very average player in this division and replaced him with someone five years younger who is certainly no worse a player, probably saving ourselves a few quid in the process that can be spent elsewhere.

Great to know we've got a player who can be average for us for the next 6/7 years then, as opposed to one who could have been for 1/2. And he can probabaly be a bit quicker around the field so he can have a even more average impact on the game. I'm getting excited about August now.

Edited by lalalajpkalala

Us.

And you are basing this on what? The guy hasnt even kicked a ball for us yet and he's already considered a bad signing. Some players lose their way when they have been somewhere for so long. Maybe Worthy needs a fresh start and will get it with us. Lets be honest, Hudds have had a few managers during the time he was there, so maybe Penney can get the best out of him. If not, we didnt pay a fee for him so we lost nothing.

Just give him a chance

And you are basing this on what? The guy hasnt even kicked a ball for us yet and he's already considered a bad signing. Some players lose their way when they have been somewhere for so long. Maybe Worthy needs a fresh start and will get it with us. Lets be honest, Hudds have had a few managers during the time he was there, so maybe Penney can get the best out of him. If not, we didnt pay a fee for him so we lost nothing.

Just give him a chance

Here Here!

If anyone has 'lost out' as you say; then for me its the Trannies - losing Kay to be replaced by Ratters.

Worthington will be a good little signing for us as far as i'm concerned; in on a free, right age, a leader & the type of player DP likes in the centre of the park.

Guess we'll see over the coming season; but as Killens' Physio has said, to be writing off signings before they've even kicked a ball in a Latics shirt is madness.

Hudd. to Latics...

Latics to Tranmere...

Tranmere to Hudd...

I hope its not us!

Funny how you mention the awards won by Allott and Kay, but focus on the fact that a new manager didn't see Worthington as part of his plans rather than the fact that he was awarded the Huddersfield captaincy at the age of 21, and IIRC held it for four years.

Edited by jsslatic

If anyone has 'lost out' as you say; then for me its the Trannies - losing Kay to be replaced by Ratters.

Agree. We might not have improved hugely but surely we aren't losing? The Trannies are for sure, and our valuation of Allott's importance obviously didn't match his own.

Funny how you mention the awards won by Allott and Kay, but focus on the fact that a new manager didn't see Worthington as part of his plans rather than the fact that he was awarded the Huddersfield captaincy at the age of 21, and IIRC held it for four years.

I mentioned the awards gained in the previous two seasons.....

I didn't feel it necessary to go further back.

You will notice i also failed to add that Allott gained the captaincy at Chesterfield 2005/2006 after

a clean sweep of player of the season awards..

Seems to me we are taking a gamble on Worthington when for the sake of giving Allott

another season we would know what we were going to get....in the main, a dependable, hard working

decent player....imo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will notice i also failed to add that Allott gained the captaincy at Chesterfield 2005/2006 after

Seems to me we are taking a gamble on Worthington when for the sake of giving Allott

another season we would know what we were going to get....in the main, a dependable, hard working

decent player....imo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how are we taking a gamble on worthington? we know exactly what we are getting. a player in the mould of allott but goes in a bit harder and is a lot younger.

decent player....imo

Most players at this level are a gamble, which is precisely why they are plying their trade at this level. Proven players dont come cheap, and we are working within a budget, and plus as we found out last season proven meants nothing. Look at Kabba, Windy, Byfield etc etc. DP/JR only saw it fit to offer Allott a one year contract and he didnt want it. Worthington came up and DP has decided that he is the kind of player he wants, and for that reason we should give him a chance to show us what he can do.

Allott wasnt the same player last season as he was when he won Player of the Year. Out with the old and in with the new. if ever a club needed fresh faces and a new start it is us. Last season was a disaster for some many reasons. Yes we know what to expect from Allott, but then we didnt pull up any trees while he was playing for us so time to give someone else a try.

OK fine, Jon Worthington: Huddersfield captain until 2008. Fit into your categorisation now?

Tranmere will miss Kay far more than us and Hudd's will miss the one's we got rid of.

No doubt about it. Kay is a class act at this level.

As for taking a gamble on Worthington rather than giving Allott two years. Dont be daft. Allott did nothing to warrant a two year deal last season - especially seeing as he's in his early 30's and would be coming upto his mid 30's when that contract would be up. Keeping him on rather than looking elsewhere would be a bigger gamble in my eyes.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

I thought Allott was noticeably worse last year than he was in 2007/08 - apart from that wondergoal at Huddersfield. He was tidy as ever, but if offered a straight choice on footballing reasons between him and Maher I'd have gone for the latter.

From what I understand Worthington may be less of a footballer but more of a "bite-yer-ankles" type in the middle, and I think that'll go down well. Realistically we aren't going to find another Wellens-type who can fulfil both "bad tackle" and "great through ball" roles, so I see no harm in the signing.

Besides which, Huddersfield seem to have more cash to splash, so I'm not surprised if we come off slightly worse than them in the transfer stakes.

decent player....imo

Shez?

Is that you? Come on mate... you got sacked, time to stop trying to get your continually underachieving squad picked... face it, first Joe, and now DP have come in, and assesed the players for what everyone but you could see... very very average.

Now, come on, the Pubs are open, stop messing about on t'interweb.

Allott was an average player on the decline. Worthington is a young highly rated player by everyone but Lee Clarke, who will be hungry to prove himself. Not pick up a paycheck to get to the end of his career... ratters was instantly replaceable... we may have just got a bargain in Worthington.

I personally think at our level there is so much inconsistancy amongst players and managers (often the reason why they play at this level) that it would be impossible to say who has got the best worst deal accurately.

For example I think Tranmere have got the worst deal, as IMO Allotts powers are on the wane. However, who is to say RM wont get the best out of him, get him fighting fit and playing the best football of his career? They certainly looked a hell of a lot fitter than our boys at BP this year.

how are we taking a gamble on worthington?

I've not seen him play much but here are some Huddersfield fans comments on hearing of his

move;

"Worthy can't tackle, pass or head a ball.

God knows how he made it as a pro footballer!"

"worthy gone? Thank god!!!!.if town are serious about going up next season he had to go."

"Worthington was a liability with his tackling, has learnt nothing over the years and lives by kicking opponents"

"We used to have bets with each other on when Worthington would be booked. He never seemed to disappoint!"

"Defence splitting passes?

Getting into the opponents box?

Scoring?

Are you seriously suggesting that Worthington did any of these?"

"All the best Worthy. Never shirked a day's work in his life. Just a shame that he was clearly not good enough to step up to the next level which is where we are aiming to go."

Quotes taken from the BBC 606 Huddersfield Forum

Dont get me wrong I will be there come August giving EVERY player who wears the Latics shirt my full support and i will reserve my opinion of the player

till ive had a chance to see him playing myself...........but thats why i think we are taking a gamble.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've not seen him play much but here are some Huddersfield fans comments on hearing of his

move;

"Worthy can't tackle, pass or head a ball.

God knows how he made it as a pro footballer!"

"worthy gone? Thank god!!!!.if town are serious about going up next season he had to go."

"Worthington was a liability with his tackling, has learnt nothing over the years and lives by kicking opponents"

"We used to have bets with each other on when Worthington would be booked. He never seemed to disappoint!"

"Defence splitting passes?

Getting into the opponents box?

Scoring?

Are you seriously suggesting that Worthington did any of these?"

"All the best Worthy. Never shirked a day's work in his life. Just a shame that he was clearly not good enough to step up to the next level which is where we are aiming to go."

Quotes taken from the BBC 606 Huddersfield Forum

Dont get me wrong I will be there come August giving EVERY player who wears the Latics shirt my full support and i will reserve my opinion of the player

till ive had a chance to see him playing myself...........but thats why i think we are taking a gamble.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take at look at their main forum - DATM. verwhelmingly think he was a good player and will be good for us

Ruffled a few feathers there Dave!

I know lots of Latics fans that didn't rate Mike Milligan and didnt even think much of Richie Wellens.

In my opinion two of the best central midfielders weve had in recent times.

Two yard dogs in midfield got us to the prem...another two this season will do me.

I know lots of Latics fans that didn't rate Mike Milligan and didnt even think much of Richie Wellens.

In my opinion two of the best central midfielders weve had in recent times.

Two yard dogs in midfield got us to the prem...another two this season will do me.

Yard dogs who also had plenty of ability, i certainly hope Worthy is a similar player.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------