No great surprise

but I see that Scott Spencer has been released by Everton - no great surprise as he seemed to be touted round the lower leagues for the last 18 months or so with various trials etc... Another example of too much talent too soon, then failing to push on or was it really a case of mistaken identity and they wanted Lewi who got injured just before The Toffees made their move?

Moyes Everton Cull

Too much too young Or someone advising him making the wrong decision? Perhaps if he had stayed here he may of developed better under the stewardship of Tony P had he stayed he may have developed and been a first team regular and become the spearhead of our attack and have the scouts coming from all over to look at him.

What might have happened and what looks like happening with regard to Richards.

"Might have happened" ....but didn't. Another of your statements that isn't actually backed by hard evidence. "looks like happening with Richards" ...the born , born again, and till I die pessimist. Let's just say that there is one Latics Director who is very confident that his discussions with the Football League indicate that Man City will not be allowed to get away with artificially lessening Richards' value in a swap deal

What time does the pedant's picnic start?

You wouldn't enjoy it. the organisers had no ambition, the numbers have fallen away over the years, and people want to talk about more than one topic.

Edited by Stevie_J
Quotations sorted

I would have him back as he was prolific WITH Lewi a good understanding. Costs nothing and really nothing to lose.

Awesome. Partnering a player who failed a trial with Yeovil, with a player who has consistently shown he is over-rated by many and not ready for the first team.

... who's got DP's number to give him this nugget?

The next suggestion... Wolfy and Vernon? Killen and Hall? There are far more unemployed fish in this very big pond...

I would have him back as he was prolific WITH Lewi a good understanding. Costs nothing and really nothing to lose.

that was in the youth team for christs sake!! This is league one surely you know football better that that fella!

I assume you never saw the two play together then. The facts are Everton thought he was worth £225k and ok he aint made it at Everton and yet another lad falling by the wayside. BUT your cynical view is typical latics. Frustrating and crap...

How much would he cost zero, has he played well with Lewi and under TPs influence YES, is he still young enough to make it YES, is he good enough who knows but who do you want...Ricketts.

As for Killen what the hell has he got to do with it? dont remember him in youth team. Just typical negative posting...Oh i forgot your coach of the national team.

If hes no good what have we lost other than 12 months perhaps. Trotters was a so called failure at Burnley he did ok.

Spencer was a good player in the youth team, but league one is hugely different

Having failed at Yeovil then why would we have him back? Just because he had a good partnership with another ex youth team player - doesnt make sence

Never seen him play, so don't know.

I wouldn't read anything in to the Yeovil trial though. It may have been when they offered him his wages in cider and cheddar and he declined that they let him go.

Why not get him down to BP for a week and let DP have a look at him?

If he's wrong for it, kick him out. That would cost nothing.

(Would be slightly concerned perming any 2 from O'Grady, Spencer and Alessandra to be totally honest, I think we'll be bringing in two tried and tested strikers).

Edited by opinions4u

Never seen him play, so don't know.

I wouldn't read anything in to the Yeovil trial though. It may have been when they offered him his wages in cider and cheddar and he declined that they let him go.

Why not get him down to BP for a week and let DP have a look at him?

If he's wrong for it, kick him out. That would cost nothing.

(Would be slighlty concerned perming any 2 from O'Grady, Spender and Alessandra to be totally honest).

I think DP will sign 2 strikers under contract, then realise the back up can not cut it and use the loan market

Saying that i would rather have Spencer here than Wolfy

Spot on have a look and boot him if lost the plot. His understanding with Lewi WAS exceptional. OK many YUUUUFS fall away but worth a look.

Lets not forget young Ryan hes a likely candidate to overtake a lot of our fringe players.

To think Yeovil means anything lacks sense.....

Wasn't Lewi also exceptional with Smalley in the youths and reserves? I can't speak at all about Spencer having never seen him play but there has to be a limit to how many "potential" players we want hanging around. We don't know yet if DP will fancy trying one moe season of the Wolf, and as you say young Ryan will also be knocking on the door we hope. It seems that forwards have the biggest jump to make from youth/reserves to the first team, looking at the number of next big things who have come to nowt despite being around for years while a good number have broken through in other positions.

I never saw Scott Spencer play but if Everton were willing to punt £225k on him he obviously had potential.

His stock may have fallen somewhat but if there is any chance of him rekindling his career, Im sure Tony P would be the first on the 'phone.

I assume you never saw the two play together then. The facts are Everton thought he was worth £225k and ok he aint made it at Everton and yet another lad falling by the wayside. BUT your cynical view is typical latics. Frustrating and crap...

How much would he cost zero, has he played well with Lewi and under TPs influence YES, is he still young enough to make it YES, is he good enough who knows but who do you want...Ricketts.

As for Killen what the hell has he got to do with it? dont remember him in youth team. Just typical negative posting...Oh i forgot your coach of the national team.

If hes no good what have we lost other than 12 months perhaps. Trotters was a so called failure at Burnley he did ok.

:lol:

Its not negative posting, its realistic posting. Unfortunately you seem to have fallen into the trap that so many on here are - which is being obsessed with mediocre/bordering on crap players that used to play for us. That is why I mentioned the other players...

There is no way in hell we will see Scott Spencer or even Jigsaw Alice as regular strikers for this club next season - Dave Penney is looking for new players that will improve this squad - the problem is, most of thise are unknown and doesnt fit in with peoples obsession with playing our youth players who are blatantly not ready for the first team, and have spent the last year picking their asrses instead of developing as there were no reserve games....

What Lees says is exactly right.. we have Jigsaw, We have Brooke, we (currently) have smalley... we still have wolfy, we also still have O'Grady - why the hell in a month of drunken delusional whims would you add Scott Spencer to that list...? We need players who can do it NOW not in the future....

There is also a world of difference between what 04U says and what you say... you are talking about giving him a 12 month contract on a platter.... O4U mentioned getting him back here and throwing him in training for a week and see if he has any hance of cutting it... one is ridiculous, the other is giving a kid a break. Shez might have done the latter, but I seriously doubt the idea will even flicker through DP's brain.

BUT your cynical view is typical latics. Frustrating and crap...

Bloody hell, well if i'm the most cynical person on here... well, we might as well all just give up now....

Bloody hell, well if i'm the most cynical person on here... well, we might as well all just give up now....

I never said MOST did I ? usually i agree with most you post on this occasion we beg to differ, we aint got a load of cash and neither do i expect Spencer to walk in the first team, thats just you being creative with the words.

Hes better than Wolfy (having said that you are) has pace and STILL a chance to pull it back..a la Trotman. A 12 month contract 6 month contract just worth a punt as said elsewhere TP will be a good judge, but suspect young Ryan more in the frame. Personally i saw enough of the youth team to say he was a clinical finisher and had a great partnership with Lewi.

The fact he hasnt broken through at Everton doesnt mean hes crap. At least hes had games in a team. Yeovil no bearing and mention of Killen again creative.

Not being funny BF just think hes worth a go as still young enough.

Fair enough HB... good points... I'm going to have to disagree with you on one thing though...

Hes better than Wolfy (having said that you are)

I can 100% guarantee that wolfy is a better striker than I am. Even though I could literally carry him round in my pocket like the little subbuteo man that he is.

I think last year we might have seen him back here training with the squad following his release. As you say, he grew up with Jigsaw, Smalley etc. and with TP and Shez and i'm sure they would have given him a chance to keep fit, and have a shot at staying pro - either with us or until he can fix himself up with a new club. I just cant see it happening with DP though, I just dont think he will want some more baggage from the past when he has his own ideas...

We will see...