Latics Sign Gregan Back

I dont think it's bad giving Greegs another year. Providing he's took a paycut. Far more confident with him at the back than Reuben who was a bit of a liability for the last few months of the season. Greegs still has that bit of quality and no doubt that swagger on the pitch like he owns it. He'll come unstuck against pacy strikers like Simeon Jackson of Gillingham - but he has the ability to bully them off their game before they get the chance to run rings. Plus we do need a bit of experience that our thin squad was severely lacking.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the be all and end all for a defender is it?

No, you're right, it isn't. It just grates when people go on about how he wins nearly every header. Well he doesn't when the goal's in front of him.

When Gregan's on form I think he's brilliant and a class above. But he's been erratic and inconsistant for a while now and it can't all be blamed on having "stuff on his mind". I mean, when he fell to pieces during the latter half of the 06-07 season it had nowt to do with drink drive accusations or being caught nobbing someone else other than his wife.

He's yesterday's hero to me.

Yep I'm pleased, I was gutted when he went, looks to have lost a bit of weight too. Don't know about captaincy tho.

Please sign hughes now, it was only when he went we started losing last season. PPL talk about his personality but he was always great with the kids taking photos etc

WHAT? We started losing 1st Dec 2008!!!!!

This absolutely s--t news!!!

We need someone who can organise the defence and give them confidence. And this fat (sorry not as fat) git isn't the one to do it.

And there has been so much crap put on here like he's going to be our saviour next season because he's the best centre-half in the division and how no forward gets the better of him. UNBELIEVABLE. I really hope we have another option coming in so Gregan becomes a bench warmer, not that there'll be room up there for 5 subs once he plants his arse down.

You can just picture it at the Wales training camp -

Eardley to Jacobson - "Come and join us, Joe. We'll have a great defence next season if you sign and don't forget that fat git's been released so we can both build our confidences up".

Jacobson will probably deck Eardley now at the first opportunity!

I'm not happy!!! Time for another beer!!!

Not happy about this. I thought Oldham were trying to make a clean break from last season which Gregan played a big role in.

He impressed me at the start of his Oldham career but last season you could tell he was far too slow and this was a problem.

Not happy about this. I thought Oldham were trying to make a clean break from last season which Gregan played a big role in.

He impressed me at the start of his Oldham career but last season you could tell he was far too slow and this was a problem.

He was fast when he first joined us then was he, despite being 8 1/2 months pregnant with twin elephants? Our defence was let down last season, teams had time and space to pick us off. A faster but less dominant defender would just have been caught out in other ways. Where the hell did this idea come from that a centre half had to be quick?

We need someone who can organise the defence and give them confidence. And this fat (sorry not as fat) git isn't the one to do it.

And there has been so much crap put on here like he's going to be our saviour next season because he's the best centre-half in the division and how no forward gets the better of him. UNBELIEVABLE. I really hope we have another option coming in so Gregan becomes a bench warmer, not that there'll be room up there for 5 subs once he plants his arse down.

Eardley to Jacobson - "Come and join us, Joe. We'll have a great defence next season if you sign and don't forget that fat git's been released so we can both build our confidences up".

Are you related to mainstandmoaner by any chance? :tongue1:

Cheers,

Harry

Judging by the above rubbish I think you've had enough beers for now. :grin:

Delighted by this news we still need another CB but there isn't many better at this level than Greegs. hopefully Abbott will sign and another striker maybe Clarke or possibly the return of Hughes ( I wouldn't rule it out) and then hopefully this Furman lad is half decent and sorts the midfeild problem we have had for the past two seasons as long as we can agree a fee with Rangers.

Hmn young man.

And your :sauce: is? :wink:

Cheers,

Harry

Just as I started to drop my, some say negative, outlook on Latics this comes about. A Terrible move, no doubt he's on a vastly reduced wage but then again he was a fast declining player last season and isn't going to get better.

So bar JJ we're looking at the same leaky defence that whimpered along last season.

He was fast when he first joined us then was he, despite being 8 1/2 months pregnant with twin elephants? Our defence was let down last season, teams had time and space to pick us off. A faster but less dominant defender would just have been caught out in other ways. Where the hell did this idea come from that a centre half had to be quick?

Exactly.

And your previous post about the midfield to be to blame for a lot of our defensive problems last season was spot on. Let get to the bottom of it - our central midfield last season was shizzle, they let so many attackers waltz through and expose our defence, and didnt link the attack. Its no secret that both Joe and DP said this was the one area which was the priority to strenthen. Also - it is also clear that both DP and Joe wanted to have him in the team, the problem was cash, who knows what has changed, but they saw exactly what any sane person could see - that Greegs is the best defender (and arguably player) at this club.

Gregan will always have his critics, those who see the 1% ofthe time when he acts like a big loud nob - however for the other 99% of the time he is pretty much the best defender in this league. I'd much rather have him on the team I support then anyone elses at this level. Anyone can whinge on about him offending the poor delicate flower Eards, but the bottom line is that Eards played like a worldbeater for the last 8 games of the season - next to gregan. The difference was Joe knew how to motivate players, unlike Sheridan.

Welcome back Sean, very, very happy to have you back in our defence.

Hmn young man.

And your :sauce: is? :wink:

Cheers,

Harry

I don't believe I have claimed anything other than what has already been said on here so i don't need any type of sauce! Anyway most people I know just talk rubbish 99% of the time!

Anyone can whinge on about him offending the poor delicate flower Eards, but the bottom line is that Eards played like a worldbeater for the last 8 games of the season - next to gregan.

Is the same worldbeating duo that got ripped to shreds by Bas Savage and dropped an almighty calamitous error to hand Peterborough all 3 points. You know, during the last 8 games of the season.

Yeah, midfield has to share some blame too, but the way I saw it was we didn't stop dangerous balls getting into the box from wide areas. It was mentioned by Royle a couple of times in his interviews.

And where's this "best defender in this division" bollocks people have been saying come from?

Exactly.

Gregan will always have his critics, those who see the 1% ofthe time when he acts like a big loud nob - however for the other 99% of the time he is pretty much the best defender in this league. I'd much rather have him on the team I support then anyone elses at this level. Anyone can whinge on about him offending the poor delicate flower Eards, but the bottom line is that Eards played like a worldbeater for the last 8 games of the season - next to gregan. The difference was Joe knew how to motivate players, unlike Sheridan.

A couple of points -

- Some of us feel that 1% is way off the mark and that his bad points outweigh his good.

- Don't worry about him playing for anyone else at this level, no other club was daft enough to sign him. Speaks volumes.

- And Eardley played crap for large parts of the season - next to Gregan.

A couple of points -

- Some of us feel that 1% is way off the mark and that his bad points outweigh his good.

- Don't worry about him playing for anyone else at this level, no other club was daft enough to sign him. Speaks volumes.

doesnt really set the world alight...i for one thought last season was his last,legs have gone and if he gets turned he may as well not bother....

would of thought the club would have invested the money on a much younger hungrier fitter and faster defender...i know we need experience..but come on....

He also played crap for large parts of the season before when Gregan was injured.

Im sure Eardley gives it out aswel he's not this shy type of player like lomax who never says a word to anyone. I dont know why people seem to think Eardley is affected so much by this.