Wellens to Leicester

Poll - Whittaker v Wellens

There you go, by my reckoning that makes Whittaker about £1.25m of anybody's money (personally I'd let him go for that).

I was sat here smugly thinking that although impressed with Whitaker at the start of the season, I'd voted for Wellens because I know and understand the difference between class and workrate.

Then I read post 10.

Oops.

If Whitaker had kept us his form which he had for the games up to when that poll was posted, until the end of the season he'd been considered better than Richie. Whitaker was awesome in those first 7 games chipping in with a few goals....each game he seemed to grow stronger.....but of course he went down the crapper.

If Whitaker had kept us his form which he had for the games up to when that poll was posted, until the end of the season he'd been considered better than Richie. Whitaker was awesome in those first 7 games chipping in with a few goals....each game he seemed to grow stronger.....but of course he went down the crapper.

Whitaker's game seemed to improve when he had Alessandra to lay the ball in to.

I think a few people are being a bit wise after the event in this argument. I would never have argued that DW is a more skilled player than RW, but at the time the last poll was taken we were going off the evidence of our own eyes, and that included two years of failure to achieve promotion with an expensive squad with Wellens as it's heartbeat. In it's place (at that point) we saw a flexible midfield with threats coming from different places which the oppo couldn't stiffle so easily.

We all knew that Wellens had tallent beyond our level, but what did it achieve? Nothing at Blackpool, nothing with us. Took a while before he learnt to play with people as good or better than him a level up as well. He was not a good route to go down at our level. Unless you were lucky enough to sell him for a big whack, which we weren't.

yep seems strange to see the richie wellens appreciation society on here when i remember being berated when maintaining he was the one of the shining lights at the club when he was here a few years ago, think he was always better than league one but now needs to prove week in week out that he can be a big influence on games in the championship week in week out

Poll - Whittaker v Wellens

There you go, by my reckoning that makes Whittaker about £1.25m of anybody's money (personally I'd let him go for that).

it's same old nonsense about how a players work ethic is more important than his actual ability, IMO it's the downfall of our national game and why the Spanish, Italians, Argies, Brazilians etc mock us

Aye true, I was just pissed off we failed to keep hold of him as alongside Eyres, Chris Armstrong and Fitz Hall he is one of he best Latics players I have seen in my time supporting them. But the clubs security is more important than one player I agree.

Shez...being such a top manager and having hardly anything to spend (obviously, this is what Shez thinks of his tenure here) went about ripping that very well laid foundation of a team that Moore put together (one that Shez almost railroaded out of the playoffs towards the end of his 1st season)...all coz he wanted his own team. Shez didn't want to keep hold of Wellens...he wanted to put his eggs in the Kilkenny basket. And failed miserably in doing so. As someone has posted above, the poll between Wellens and Whittaker makes me laugh a lot...we've got some crackers amongst us AND YET they still boo'd him whenever he played us and swore he'd never make it higher. Oh well..."opinions" *snigger*

Edited by boundaryblue80

I bumped into Richie Wellens at the Trafford Centre on Friday evening, which particularly cheered me up given the hour that had preceeded it. My girlfriend works at a number of primary schools and so on Friday night I found myself at the Northenden Primary production of Mary Poppins. :petesake: Anyway, my girlfiend is also a super-bitch and so once I had been put through the process of having all the kids meet "Miss Jones' Boyfriend" our relations quickly deteriorated and she told me to leave. This was moments before the play began and so I faced the humiliation of having to vacate my front row seat and walk out of the gym, with all the kids giggling and all the parents looking on. In many ways it was reminiscent of my own school days. :blush: So, I cleared off but suffering a moment of weakness on the drive home I thought I had best wait for her and decided to kill the time at the Trafford Centre. It all turned out to be a blessing as the first person I saw was the midfield maestro with his young family. As he walked past me I gormlessly mumbled "Richie Wellens" and he checked his step to say hello. :bblue2: It made my evening....stick that up your arse sweetheart (although I did buy her a thankyou present :lol: ).

The fee could rise to 1.3 mil.

How long before Donny come knocking for Taylor?

wellens has to move to leicester as they have a club policy of players living within leicester as they dont want players travling ... 1st ive known of that