Man U to sign Michael Owen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to talk sport man u are in talks with Michael Owen.

had to post it as its just funny

he will score goals for them (amount of chances they create)...if true can only be good for england

he will score goals for them (amount of chances they create)...if true can only be good for england

it will only be bad for england were doing great without him no point throwing a spanner in the works just becuase he plays at united

I think it's an ok signing, won't be costing the earth in wages (relative to similarly able strikers) keep him fit and he'll get 20 a season no problem. I fail to see how Owen has gone from one of England's best strikers to the laughing stock of the game and someone that you shouldn't touch with a barge poll overnight. Huge over reaction has been created by a dip in form off the back of a few injuries and the ever ridiculous views of the geordies. If the scummers and taggart think he is still worth a place in a top team I wouldn't doubt it to be honest. They know far more than the tabloids and a few journos filling pages.

it will only be bad for england were doing great without him no point throwing a spanner in the works just becuase he plays at united

it will be bad to have a natural goalscorer in the squad in a tournament or any other type of football? :blink:

problem is he probably will get back on england squad, at least for a while, once an english player signs for chelsea/united/liverpool/arsenal they normally get a look in

for example danny philliskirk, did great in latics youth but got no look in at england squad, signs for chelsea n gets on the squad before he even plays a game for them

doesn't surprise me in the least. Can't stand Sir Grumpy but he knows what he is doing. Owen will sit on the bench keeping relatively fit and keep coming on and nicking goals. Look at what Henrik Larsen did for them . Owen would probably go there for nowt as well - or at least an account down at William Hills.

However on second thoughts this could be our opportunity to get rid of Wolfy. Send him down there with a Scouse accent, pull up in the first training session and they'll never know the difference!

Edited by astottie

it will be bad to have a natural goalscorer in the squad in a tournament or any other type of football? :blink:

WAS a good player now he is more of a player that a lower team in the prem should be getting not top teams like chelsea united etc

The only problem I see for him there is that they break so quickly he would struggle to keep up these days - assuming they play a similar style now Ronaldo has flounced off. But people are living on cloud cuckoo land if they think he won't score goals if he can stay fit for any length of time.

The only problem I see for him there is that they break so quickly he would struggle to keep up these days - assuming they play a similar style now Ronaldo has flounced off. But people are living on cloud cuckoo land if they think he won't score goals if he can stay fit for any length of time.

Came here to say that... If United break at the pace of last season it will be hilarious to watch as Owen crosses the half way line as Rooney's shot crosses the line!

was on the radio before ... believed to be a pay as ya play / weekly deal so will be a cheapo deal for them if he knuckles down and bags a few!!

if he signs for them, i will go on record now and say if he gets the games tevez got, he will score more goals.

it all comes down to his fitness, i dont think anyone can argue with the fact he has not been 100% match fit for 2 years

if he signs for them, i will go on record now and say if he gets the games tevez got, he will score more goals.

3 times as many.

it all comes down to his fitness, i dont think anyone can argue with the fact he has not been 100% match fit for 2 years

I'm arguing. It's been 3 years!!

With Michael Owen, it's all about fitness. 58 starts in 4 seasons at Newcastle. There's a worry!

26 goals in 58 starts for Newcastle. If you remove the games where he was getting match fit (the first 4 or 5 after returning from injury) it's great.

3 times as many.

I'm arguing. It's been 3 years!!

With Michael Owen, it's all about fitness. 58 starts in 4 seasons at Newcastle. There's a worry!

26 goals in 58 starts for Newcastle. If you remove the games where he was getting match fit (the first 4 or 5 after returning from injury) it's great.

:grin: you get the point then, a fit owen with the service that rooney berbatov etc can supply him with, he will score for fun

a fit confident owen is good news for england

on the plus side for scum, he's english and isn't there a reintroduction of so many english born players in the squad/starting line up for european games?

shrewd business - a goalscorer on a free transfer. whats wrong with that?

on the plus side for scum, he's english and isn't there a reintroduction of so many english born players in the squad/starting line up for european games?

shrewd business - a goalscorer on a free transfer. whats wrong with that?

I for one definately believe Owen will be a sound addition to Manure's squad! He can finish as well as the next guy and with the number of chances United create he should bag quite a few for them (certainly more than Tevez).

Also, Fergie wont play him game after game after game like other managers will because he wont be their "Main" striker and they wont be depending on him all season and playing him even when not 100% fit.

Plus, a fit Michael Owen for England is always a good thing, after all, Jermain Defoe isn't ever going to become prolific for England is he!!

I suppose the comparison for us is :

How often will you get a player of Hughe's quality at our level for free?

How often will you get a player of Owen's quality at their level for free?

They both have baggage, but on the "right" deal they're worth the risk.

great point, if a club has a chance to but these type of scorers, its got to be worth the risk.

come on mr penney take the chance

owen for free..bargain :wink:

Not really the same in any way for me. Owen's bagage is nothing like Hughes' baggage and Hughes is most definitely looking at maybe 2 years at teh very most now at this level. Owen on the other hand is in what should be his prime. Let's not forget we started falling down the table while Hughes was still here and missing sitter after sitter while his weight ballooned.

Not really the same in any way for me. Owen's bagage is nothing like Hughes' baggage and Hughes is most definitely looking at maybe 2 years at teh very most now at this level. Owen on the other hand is in what should be his prime. Let's not forget we started falling down the table while Hughes was still here and missing sitter after sitter while his weight ballooned.

whats this weight issue? when i saw him in jjb and on the pitch he was muscle on muscle.

17 goals in a season and he suffered a bad patch like all players,it is worth a chance

we all know that hes had tons of injuries but then again he was at newcastle who must have had one of the worst physio & training set ups in football since robson left. every season half their squad is injured, its no coincidence that one of shearers first decisions was to sack the physio when he came in

i think utd might be able to get him back to fitness and he would be a good squad player for them, and then hopefully england again