Man U to sign Michael Owen

That :censored: Adrian Durham on talksport ( the one who presents 'Drive' with Ian Wright and always says things for effect) was saying United must be getting desperate if they want to sign Owen. I say if United on a pay as you play/score deal and it could be the signing of the year. A natural finisher like Owen could and should get 20 plus with the service he's likely to get at Man U.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And who said England are doing alright without Owen ???? We are most certainly not doing alright if we've got the likes of Crouch, Heskey, Defoe, Carlton Cole, James Milner and Walcott pissing about upfront....ok ok so we've pissed the Qualifiers so far, but Crouch and Heskey at the World Cup Finals ???? Nah........

whats this weight issue? when i saw him in jjb and on the pitch he was muscle on muscle.

17 goals in a season and he suffered a bad patch like all players,it is worth a chance

I defended Hughes to the hilt while he was here, but I was struggling to deny that he was putting weight on in the second half of the season. He really was.

I for one definately believe Owen will be a sound addition to Manure's squad! He can finish as well as the next guy and with the number of chances United create he should bag quite a few for them (certainly more than Tevez).

Also, Fergie wont play him game after game after game like other managers will because he wont be their "Main" striker and they wont be depending on him all season and playing him even when not 100% fit.

Plus, a fit Michael Owen for England is always a good thing, after all, Jermain Defoe isn't ever going to become prolific for England is he!!

I tell you what always bugs me why oldham fans are so bothered with United we are light years away from them I concentrate on Tranmere, Huddersfield, Leeds etc I could not give toss about them but most Oldham fans obsess about them, why ? not going to be in their league for decades probably.

I tell you what always bugs me why oldham fans are so bothered with United we are light years away from them I concentrate on Tranmere, Huddersfield, Leeds etc I could not give toss about them but most Oldham fans obsess about them, why ? not going to be in their league for decades probably.

To be honest mate, I think this is just talking about football, not being that bothered about Man Yoo. I'm sort of like you, I don't usually even know who has signed for who in the Prem, but Owen is more interesting than most!

I think this would be the perfect move for Owen and England. Any other club and he'd be the main striker and would likely get crocked again. At Man Utd he'd be a squad player, would get game time (and most likely goals) at the highest level which will hopefully bring him in to England contention.

Granted, we've been doing well without him but it's all good and well Defoe and the like banging them in against Andorra and Kazhakbeijan or whoever. But Owen has World Cup goals against the likes of Brazil and the argies. I'd back him (if fit) over all England strikers except Rooney.

Why does everyone think Owen will get back in the England set up? Capello simply doesn't rate him end of. Not saying whether he should or shouldn't be there but if the main man don't want you, you ain't gonna be there.

Why does everyone think Owen will get back in the England set up? Capello simply doesn't rate him end of. Not saying whether he should or shouldn't be there but if the main man don't want you, you ain't gonna be there.

I think he'll get back in. He found a place for Gary Neville in the last squad!

Bloke at work was reading something on a site earlier that said Owen played half an hour more last season than Tevez. Their League goal returns were 8 to Owen and 5 to Tevez. The price differences being £25M and more than a few thousand each week in wages.

It might look bargain bucket but when fit he'll score goals. Nice to see United having to fight off Stoke and Hull :grin:

I think he'll get back in. He found a place for Gary Neville in the last squad!

Bloke at work was reading something on a site earlier that said Owen played half an hour more last season than Tevez. Their League goal returns were 8 to Owen and 5 to Tevez. The price differences being £25M and more than a few thousand each week in wages.

It might look bargain bucket but when fit he'll score goals. Nice to see United having to fight off Stoke and Hull :grin:

IT does go to show that he is still scoring goals, but there is a big difference in that Taggart dictated when Tevez did or didn't play, wheras it's out of your hands with an injured player. I wouldn't be amazed if the Owen thing wasn't his way of putting pressure on whoever owns Tevez to accept less for him, not many others would spend £25m on him.

An injury free Michael Owen will bag for fun at Man U

I bet he is made up at this move, and being English so am i

He will never be the same player as in the late 90's

An injury free season and he will be going to South Africa

IT does go to show that he is still scoring goals, but there is a big difference in that Taggart dictated when Tevez did or didn't play, wheras it's out of your hands with an injured player. I wouldn't be amazed if the Owen thing wasn't his way of putting pressure on whoever owns Tevez to accept less for him, not many others would spend £25m on him.

If he's fit or not he's managed to make 63 appearances in the last two seasons and with it score 23 goals for Newcastle. There are some fully fit strikers out there who'll never reach that sort of ratio who clubs and dubious individuals are pricing at 25M.

As for not many others, the clowns at the big top will pay that next week! Then we can get Alex Nimely on loan from City :wink:

If he's fit or not he's managed to make 63 appearances in the last two seasons and with it score 23 goals for Newcastle. There are some fully fit strikers out there who'll never reach that sort of ratio who clubs and dubious individuals are pricing at 25M.

As for not many others, the clowns at the big top will pay that next week! Then we can get Alex Nimely on loan from City :wink:

It was thinking about that there circus that made me edit pre-posting and not say that nobody would pay £25 million ;)

Back to the Owen vs Tevez thing, did I have a flashback of a teenage acid trip or did I remember King Kev playing him in a withdrawn midfield role for most of the games he used him in? Which added to the fact that he was playing for Newcastle United makes his record all the more astonishing.

MichaelOwen-ManUtdkit-_2324976.jpg

Won't be the main striker at United, no reliance on him like there was at Newcastle. A fit Michael Owen will score goals. He wont have to play every game and won't have to be rushed back from any injuries he probably will get.

Another seemingly odd signing like Larsson was that will probably come off for Ferguson. Good move for both player and club me thinks.

Won't be the main striker at United, no reliance on him like there was at Newcastle. A fit Michael Owen will score goals. He wont have to play every game and won't have to be rushed back from any injuries he probably will get.

Another seemingly odd signing like Larsson was that will probably come off for Ferguson. Good move for both player and club me thinks.

The signing of the Blessed St Henrik of Larsson was odd for people who hadn't watched him play all that much, but was pretty clearly a good move for that that had. He was never dead quick and lost a bit of nip when he broke his ankle I felt, but he had skill and vision that could have made him one of the best central midfielders in the world as easily as one of the best forwards - age was never going to be a big issue for him. Owen has adapted well from the lightening fast kid who broke through but has had to change his game a lot. I think maybe they will use him in slower games and where the other team are sitting back. There are not many as good at giving a full back 90 minutes of hell than him through his sheer knowledge.

It could be a good signing for them but definitly a desperate signing. They obviously couldn't attract their top targets like Kaka and Benzema Who chose Madrid and the other two players they appaerently want Eto'o, Ribery and Villa prefer moves to different clubs or want to stay where they are. Add to the fact they lost the prima donna and Tevez who, prefers city then they are runing out of top class players. I suppose it could work out for them but with his injuruy record it could go the other way.

Edited by nava

It could be a good signing for them but definitly a desperate signing. They obviously couldn't attract their top targets like Kaka and Benzema Who chose Madrid and the other two players they appaerently want Eto'o, Ribery and Villa prefer moves to different clubs or want to stay where they are. Add to the fact they lost the prima donna and Tevez who, prefers city then they are runing out of top class players. I suppose it could work out for them but with his injuruy record it could go the other way.

I see it totally the other way. Madrid seem to be going back to the worst days of the Galactico era and with the same ringmaster in charge. They ruined themselves by getting rid of Makelele, who did the work of 5 men, and replacing him with Beckham, who is OK at dead balls and is mega-popular in the Far East - who is going to do the tackling for the latest bunch of superstars? I don't see them challenging at the top.

And Man City are still the funniest team in the world, they will have to pay double the odds to get players who are slightly below the level needed to really challenge the likes of the Red Soxx. Taggart knows Tevez isn't worth £25m, I am sure he could find it if he really wanted to.

Taggart knows Tevez isn't worth £25m, I am sure he could find it if he really wanted to.

Did they not bid the £25.5m trigger clause?

Think it's fair to say that Man Ure wanted to keep him but Joorabchian saw what City were willing to pay in wages and 'persuaded' his man to go there instead.

I'm sure Tevez would have stayed if the decision was down to him.

Probably makes sense signing him really in terms of the new Champions League English/British quota rules.

They also need a new shirt 'unit' shifter after selling Ronaldo and losing Tevez.

I dont think Fergie wanted Tevez and offered him a contract that Fergie knew he would turn down to appease the fans. I personally would have Owen over Tevez as my 3rd striker as he is a more natural goal scorer. With the medical staff at Man U, training with people like Rooney and Berbatov and the service he would get I think he could be a good signing for them.

I dont think Fergie wanted Tevez and offered him a contract that Fergie knew he would turn down to appease the fans.

I suppose we'll never know. I think Rednose liked him but knew he wasn't quite good enough to be a top choice. He would have had him but not having to pay crazy money to the invisible man who owns him, they were waiting for everyone else to also not pay that then start talking.

Enter the Clowns...