Only kidderminster

Well it was on this board last week so will be about ready for Chipwrapper. We are in for Steve Jones ...(wink) local lad in Chron about next Weds.

The chron states Hughes saying there has been no interest not the club. I can see that being the case.

I think DP may just strike a deal with him.

Yeah, the interest from clubs last season has evaporated due, IMO, to following reasons -

1. Questions over how effective in Championship

2. Wages v Budget for clubs at League One or below

3. History off field before and whilst with us

Hence why he's keen to return to us and has apparently been expressing this as soon as JR left the club.

Do we want him back though if he was someone JR has got rid of? I thought JR came in to sort things out and put us in a better situation to move forward Getting rid of the bad eggs. Joe had plenty of praise for Gregan who many believed was disrupting things, yet got shot of Hughes almost instantly. Part of me also thinks we gave him a chance which in the end didnt seem that apprieciated, maybe someone in his position doesnt deserve another one.

Do we want him back though if he was someone JR has got rid of? I thought JR came in to sort things out and put us in a better situation to move forward Getting rid of the bad eggs. Joe had plenty of praise for Gregan who many believed was disrupting things, yet got shot of Hughes almost instantly. Part of me also thinks we gave him a chance which in the end didnt seem that apprieciated, maybe someone in his position doesnt deserve another one.

If DP feels that he's worth a contract and he gets him on decent terms, then he might be worth it. If Hughes hasn't had any offers, I think we will have the upper hand in any negotiations.

If DP feels that he's worth a contract and he gets him on decent terms, then he might be worth it. If Hughes hasn't had any offers, I think we will have the upper hand in any negotiations.

Totally agree, let's take the blinkers off regarding JR's judgement as personal opinion is one thing but tends to be terribly subjective.

Totally impartial but we have a fit player who has proven himself hugely effective at our level, is training with us, doesn't appear to have any offers on table so we're in the driving seat and a new manager in place who appears to be a bit of a disciplinarian rather than "one of the lads".

A two-year contract for security to the lad BUT if he plays up then it's breach of contract, we cancel at no cost to us and potentially a contract geared towards incentives for goals, performance, promotion etc

I think we're asking for trouble if we take him back.

I can understand the concern due to what happened last season but I think we need to look at the management at the time rather than the player, which allowed us to get in such a position.

Players need to be managed but I honestly think we had the wrong manager to handle such players, hence why it all imploded. DP appears very much different and has stamped his mark already. JR went to the other extreme and made a very, very bad decision in getting rid of Hughes when we still had a realistic chance in gaining promotion or even a play-off run that could have funded something this season.

I can understand the concern due to what happened last season but I think we need to look at the management at the time rather than the player, which allowed us to get in such a position.

Players need to be managed but I honestly think we had the wrong manager to handle such players, hence why it all imploded. DP appears very much different and has stamped his mark already. JR went to the other extreme and made a very, very bad decision in getting rid of Hughes when we still had a realistic chance in gaining promotion or even a play-off run that could have funded something this season.

I get that impression with DP, but can Hughes really change? At his age I doubt it.

I get that impression with DP, but can Hughes really change? At his age I doubt it.

Money talks so a contract on the table stipulating our terms and risk that the money stops if he's a bad boy on or off the pitch is incentive enough. No risk to us and a worthy option unless there is a similar striker readily available on same terms (money rather than T&Cs)

Money talks so a contract on the table stipulating our terms and risk that the money stops if he's a bad boy on or off the pitch is incentive enough. No risk to us and a worthy option unless there is a similar striker readily available on same terms (money rather than T&Cs)

You shouldn't HAVE to put these types of terms and conditions into a professional footballer's contract. I think that the lack of offers coming in for him speaks volumes. 91 League clubs can't be wrong :wink:

My thoughts exactly. He shafted us back end of thast season with lackluster performances. What will stop him doing the same. I would only sign him based on a performance related contract

Abbott has taken the number 9 shirt which I would suggest means Hughes won't be re-signing.

Not saying we can't re-sign in spite of that but given that the Home shirt will be the same as last season, would have thought Abbott would have been given number 10 or another number if keeping Hughes was on the agenda.