As I am bored with all these crappy speculation threads and the new season can't come quick enough for me, I thought I'd lighten the load and give you a bit of insight into how our link up with Eintracht Frankfurt came about.

Well it all started in 1982 when along with Sheffield Wednesday and Shrewsbury Town, we entered the Supporters Club European Cup in Paris.

The link below is a photograph we had taken just before the start of the 1982/83 season, where Joe Royle, shortly after his appointment, is seen next to the late Colin Shaw (at the time, Chairman of the Supporters Club) together with members of the team that lost in the final, on penalties of course, to the Germans. Those in the picture, include John & Peter McElhatton, Carl Lonsdale, David Shaw (Colins brother,) Gus and me. The trophy is the fair play trophy for the tournament, that is still in existence today. I must get it restored and present it to the club so that they have something in the trophy cabinet

(As I'm pretty cr*p at these techie things, maybe Rummy or 1 of the other mods can make the picture/link a larger/better image.)

There are some pretty wild tales from that weekend where we shared 1 hell of a "session" on the night of the final back at the campsite with the Frankfurt boys, who coincidentally had pitched up right next to us. Well we had to drown our sorrows didn't we. :grin:

I'm sure this will bring back memories for Mr. Isaccs, who will be only too happy to re-count the weekend. Personally I was way too hammered to fill in the details. Although, if I had scored the last of our 5 penalties, we would have been coming home as winners. What makes it worse is that it was 1 of only 2 pens I missed in all my time playing.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sn...6_3448432_s.jpg

Cheers,

Harry

(As I'm pretty cr*p at these techie things, maybe Rummy or 1 of the other mods can make the picture/link a larger/better image.)

I don't think there's much anyone can do unless you send the original image to someone. It's 138 x 98 pixels, which is a small image.

Is this alright Harry?

hgpic.jpg

Ah I see what frankly has done there. That is a picture of how you all felt the next day, after the hammering the night before Harry!

Well dodgy, some picture from a News of the World expose.

I was going to make a less than subtle reference to Michael Jackson but decided against it!

As I am bored with all these crappy speculation threads and the new season can't come quick enough for me, I thought I'd lighten the load and give you a bit of insight into how our link up with Eintracht Frankfurt came about.

Well it all started in 1982 when along with Sheffield Wednesday and Shrewsbury Town, we entered the Supporters Club European Cup in Paris.

The link below is a photograph we had taken just before the start of the 1982/83 season, where Joe Royle, shortly after his appointment, is seen next to the late Colin Shaw (at the time, Chairman of the Supporters Club) together with members of the team that lost in the final, on penalties of course, to the Germans. Those in the picture, include John & Peter McElhatton, Carl Lonsdale, David Shaw (Colins brother,) Gus and me. The trophy is the fair play trophy for the tournament, that is still in existence today. I must get it restored and present it to the club so that they have something in the trophy cabinet

There are some pretty wild tales from that weekend where we shared 1 hell of a "session" on the night of the final back at the campsite with the Frankfurt boys, who coincidentally had pitched up right next to us. Well we had to drown our sorrows didn't we. :grin:

I'm sure this will bring back memories for Mr. Isaccs, who will be only too happy to re-count the weekend. Personally I was way too hammered to fill in the details. Although, if I had scored the last of our 5 penalties, we would have been coming home as winners. What makes it worse is that it was 1 of only 2 pens I missed in all my time playing.

Cheers,

Harry

549izl.jpg

549izl.jpg

in the photo next to big joe col shaw (r.i.p) next person ? , john and peter mc elhatton ,(pete got best player award ) carl longsdale ian coop (i think) dave shaw , front row gus green , paul whitehead , i was in the players bar when photo was taken

You can tell fashion's gone full circle because half of them look like scenesters from today wearing retro clobber.

Pete, the Brian May-a-like doesn't look much different these days.

That Latics jumper is probably the best bit of Latics clothing I have seen! Nearly wearable :grin:

You can tell fashion's gone full circle because half of them look like scenesters from today wearing retro clobber.

Pete, the Brian May-a-like doesn't look much different these days.

Yeah, me and my brother used to say it's not an Oldham game until you've seen 'that guy'. Never met him, but know some people seem to refer to him as 'long haired pete'. As long as I can remember going to games I can remember seeing him every single time, normally as we left the ground, I think my dad told me once that he went to school with him but was a few years younger.

Yeah, me and my brother used to say it's not an Oldham game until you've seen 'that guy'. Never met him, but know some people seem to refer to him as 'long haired pete'. As long as I can remember going to games I can remember seeing him every single time, normally as we left the ground, I think my dad told me once that he went to school with him but was a few years younger.

Pete lives in Chorlton and as far as I can remember has been watching latics since at least 1975 and probably earlier. Famously 1st met up with Col Shaw at West Brom as they were being chased near the junction with the M5.

I've been going all over the country with Pete watching Latics for over 30 years. He's a top man and true fan.

Strangely enough for 1 who was so gangly he wasn't the worst player either. He would certainly have caught the current owtb team. :wink: And before you start, we have played in a european cup final you know. :grin:

Cheers,

Harry

Pete lives in Chorlton and as far as I can remember has been watching latics since at least 1975 and probably earlier. Famously 1st met up with Col Shaw at West Brom as they were being chased near the junction with the M5.

I've been going all over the country with Pete watching Latics for over 30 years. He's a top man and true fan.

Strangely enough for 1 who was so gangly he wasn't the worst player either. He would certainly have caught the current owtb team. :wink: And before you start, we have played in a european cup final you know. :grin:

Cheers,

Harry

yes pete still lives in chorlton ,still in touch with him today (pity about his famous black jacket )was never seen without it ,pete has been watching latics since that late 60's as far as i remember ,along with his late brother dennis(r.i.p) ,who used to come over from liverpool for each game ..

yes pete still lives in chorlton ,still in touch with him today (pity about his famous black jacket )was never seen without it ,pete has been watching latics since that late 60's as far as i remember ,along with his late brother dennis(r.i.p) ,who used to come over from liverpool for each game ..

Yeah, up to last season, was still tucking into his pre match meal of cheese and onion pie, chips and beans - and of course a couple of light ales, in the WH.

Yeah, up to last season, was still tucking into his pre match meal of cheese and onion pie, chips and beans - and of course a couple of light ales, in the WH.

light ale ? pete he is a Guinness drinker :drinking45:

Edited by boboafc