Triallist Keeper was James Spencer

former Dale and Stockport, he was held in high regard a couple of years ago but has had a bad time with injuries. Needs a haircut and to lose a bit of weight imo.

I rememeber him at dale, thinks hes around 23 isnt he, not bad keeper

From the Chron

ATHLETIC are giving goalkeeper James Spencer the chance to resurrect his football career.

The 24-year-old, who is training at Boundary Park, was one of five trialists who appeared in last night’s 2-0 victory at Hyde United in their opening pre-season friendly.

Athletic are looking for goalkeeping cover for Dean Brill after allowing Greg Fleming to join Scottish side Dunfermline on a season-long loan.

They were alerted to the availability of Spencer, who was released by Rochdale at the end of the season.

Spencer made his debut for Stockport County at the age of 16 in 2002, going on to make 108 first-team appearances and at one time being linked with lucrative moves to Sunderland and West Brom.

But after having limited opportunities in 2006/07 he joined Rochdale that summer on a two-year contract.

Spencer made only 22 appearances for Dale in his two years at the club as he suffered a double hernia and stress fracture of the hip.

He joined Chester City on an emergency loan for their final five matches of the season, but was unable to prevent them being relegated from the Football League.

Manager Dave Penney said: “James has a lot of experience with Stockport and Rochdale and looked like being a top keeper at one stage, but he has lost his way.

“It was probably a bit unfair last night as James didn’t have a save to make. He probably wanted shots flying , but I wasn’t really able to judge him.”

Penney added that he has to decide soon whether to bring in an experienced replacement for Fleming or go with rookie Josh Ollerenshaw on the bench and bring in a loan player should Brill be injured.

Central-defender Will Haining was another of the trialists, but the identities of the three other players used were not disclosed.

Athletic suffered another injury scare when Neal Eardley was taken off with a tight calf muscle.

Eardley, a half-time substitute, lasted barely 20 minutes before he was taken off but that was a precautionary move as much as anything.

After a double training stint yesterday and match last night, there was no rest for the players who were forced to report in at eight o’clock this morning for a session in the swimming pool.

Penney was pleased with Athletic’s workout last night, saying they looked sharp and bright in the opening 45 minutes

no, a guy who plays for my football team played with him at dale before he was relased himself

I actually had the pleasure of coaching Jim when he was 15/16 in local junior football here in Stockport. Indeed it was from my team which he joined County. Not long after (he barely played half a dozen reserve games IIRC) he made his debut, as a substitute in the Championship, against Norwich City, after Andy Dibble was sent off about 10 minutes in.

Jim always had massive potential, and started off like a house on fire, with a number of superb performances, culminating in winning our player of the year award in his first (or second) season. Sadly, County were to embark on their dark days of relegation under any number of idiotic managers who saw fit to persist with a young boy in the most precarious position of all and who failed to take him out of the firing line and develop him properly.

After a number of pretty horrible high profile errors his confidence was shot and he was eventually released. Not too sure how he did at Dale (although punching rather than catching seems to be an issue he can't shake off) but he went to Chester at the back end of last year on loan and did pretty well IIRC.

Brought along properly he could have gone far, maybe he still will if he's sitting in reserve for you guys and working with a decent goalkeeping coach. Having said that, I doubt he'd realistically be challenging for No1 this season at least.

Thing is though - we're currently looking to sign a keeper on the cheap who will quite happily sit on the bench every week and be playing in the reserves.

Spencer isnt that good. Certainly not any better than any of the other keepers 'dale have had in recent seasons (Lee, Fielding, etc) - He most definately wouldnt be challenging Brill for that number 1 spot.

I'd rather keep Josh Olrenshaw.