Today's Oldham Comical!

I would have liked to know who they were, I think the guy from the Chron has a point.

We did know who they were though... I knew who they bloody were and I was the best part of 200 miles away. Shouldnt be hard for Latics' top news-hound to figure it out from the same bloody post-code.

QUOTE (mikejh45 @ Jul 14 2009, 12:57 PM)

Just read Bugby's report on the Hyde game and it would appear to me he's getting a bit spikey over the lack of info. coming to him from the club. Obviously, he doesn't read this message or else he'd have a good idea who the triallists are.

~Quite right.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

If you can't work with the club, don't expect them to work with you. You'll have to use a bit of that journolist training...

Besides, I thought the whole point of calling them A Trialist was so that the name did not become public..

I think the key might be 'journalist training' Singe. The only 'paper' he has ever worked for is the Bison so he hasn't had a lot of offers i would imagine (i.e. none)

Starts off by saying its a pre season friendly and at the end says it's a competitive match.

As my dad would have said 'Tony you can't ride two horses with one arse'

I have never heard of un-named trialists playing in a 'public' match before....obviously you get 'behind-closed-doors' friendlys where trialists remain anonymous, but I can't recall trialists remaining anonymous at 'public' games before, can anyone else ? Might just be me...

We did know who they were though... I knew who they bloody were and I was the best part of 200 miles away. Shouldnt be hard for Latics' top news-hound to figure it out from the same bloody post-code.

Most people I have spoken to who attended didn't have a clue who some of the trialists were...

Dabo played for us in a pre-season friendly at either Southport or Morecambe the other year along with at least 2 others who were listed on the fisul site as A Trialist, at the game an A4 sheet was available with the players full names on. Perhaps this was printed by the Southcambe club and last night Hyde had run out of black toner.

Either way, all it would have taken is

Bugby "Alright Dave, who are these trialists then?"

Dave "Well, the big lad at the back is ......."

Seems fairly easy to me.

Probably what happened was either:

Bugby " "

As they say, the shy child gets no sweets.

Or

Dave/Alan/Simon/Gordon/whoever "You can fluck right off you meddlesome uninformed tallulah"

Possibly.

I think the key might be 'journalist training' Singe. The only 'paper' he has ever worked for is the Bison so he hasn't had a lot of offers i would imagine (i.e. none)

Starts off by saying its a pre season friendly and at the end says it's a competitive match.

As my dad would have said 'Tony you can't ride two horses with one arse'

Very good!! I like that one!

I don't honestly see what Bugby's issue is with the anonymity of the trialists. The club must have dozens of players on trial over the course of the season who we never hear about. E.g. youngsters released from Premiership clubs etc. Maybe if he'd have bothered asking a few members of the crowd, he may have discovered the identities of these players, as quite a few posters on here seemed to have an idea who they were.

No idea what the big deal is either, you quite often see unnamed trialists in reserve games, it's not that unusual to see SSN list the scorer as 'A Trialist' in Scottish lower league games either (that's probably more to do with not being arsed to find out who it was than the players being anonymous though).

But,you know,some of them were foreign. Apparently.

Edited by rosa

I have never heard of un-named trialists playing in a 'public' match before....obviously you get 'behind-closed-doors' friendlys where trialists remain anonymous, but I can't recall trialists remaining anonymous at 'public' games before, can anyone else ? Might just be me...

I can think of several occasions where I have seen unnamed trialists turn out at pre-season friendlies. There was at least one appeared at Rhyl last year, and I've lost count of the number I've seen at Stalybridge in past pre-seasons.

So yep, I guess it's just you... :wink::grin:

Or

Dave/Alan/Simon/Gordon/whoever "You can fluck right off you meddlesome uninformed tallulah"

Possibly.

I prefer that one. :laught16:

Though in reality, it was probably the middle one, i.e. he didn't talk to anyone. I nearly spoke to him before the game but he was standing there gormlessly looking into space as if his dad had said "stay there" while he went to buy him an ice cream...

Besides, the only thing I could think of to say was, "How's Simon?" and I didn't think he'd like that. :grin:

Dux: If anyone asks, your name is Danny Knight. Understand?

Diego: Si.

Dux: What's your name:

Diego: Diego Cervero.

:grin:

Maybe it was Diego on the left wing? (Heavily disguised, obviously).

I was trying to work out who he reminded me of, lookswise. Decided it's Garrincha. Don't think it was him though.

QUOTE (Yard Dog @ Jul 14 2009, 20:37 PM)

Furman shows Latics promise

Reporter: TONY BUGBY

Date online: 14/07/2009

Hyde United 0, Athletic 2

FIRST HALF (4-4-2): Spencer; Lomax, Hazell, Gregan, Jacobson; Smalley, Whitaker, Furman, Taylor; Abbott, Alessandra.

SECOND HALF (4-4-2): Spencer; Eardley (Trialist Danny Knight 68), Trialist D Knight, Haining, Black; Lee, Worthington, Rowney, Trialist Knight D ; O’Grady, Wolfenden.

Easy peasy, no lazty journo here.

PS they even do it inth e REserves friendlies

Grimbsy Reserve friendly in April

Edited by singe

Just read Bugby's report on the Hyde game and it would appear to me he's getting a bit spikey over the lack of info. coming to him from the club. Obviously, he doesn't read this message board or else he'd have a good idea who the triallists are.

it seems to me that the raport between club and paper is at a stalemate ' not beneficial to either party's'..the oldham chron and the commercial side of the latics need to lock horns have the ruck and move on...any news is good news when you are promoting a football club losing lot's of dosh.. the paper has the ability to put bums on empty seats ..let's not forget that