Today's Oldham Comical!

Just read Bugby's report on the Hyde game and it would appear to me he's getting a bit spikey over the lack of info. coming to him from the club. Obviously, he doesn't read this message board or else he'd have a good idea who the triallists are.

Edited by mikejh45

Just read Bugby's report on the Hyde game and it would appear to me he's getting a bit spikey over the lack of info. coming to him from the club. Obviously, he doesn't read this message or else he'd have a good idea who the triallists are.

well they should talk to the club more.... serves them right

QUOTE (mikejh45 @ Jul 14 2009, 12:57 PM)

Just read Bugby's report on the Hyde game and it would appear to me he's getting a bit spikey over the lack of info. coming to him from the club. Obviously, he doesn't read this message or else he'd have a good idea who the triallists are.

well they should talk to the club more.... serves them right

~Quite right.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

If you can't work with the club, don't expect them to work with you. You'll have to use a bit of that journolist training...

Besides, I thought the whole point of calling them A Trialist was so that the name did not become public..

he doesn't read this message board or else he'd have a good idea who the triallists are.

I would say he does read the messageboard, but has looked a bit of a divvy recently after the "exposé" of Smalley going to Blackpool. Which of course was nothing but a bag of spanners posted on here.

He's definitely got a bee in his bonnet about the club of late. I would suspect it's Corney-related.

It wouldnt suprise me if we now signed a player called Andy Trialist :lol:

I remember a player listed as "Trialist" coming on for Stirling Albion in the '96 pre-season friendly. The Stirling fans were singing "There's only one Tony Rialist" :grin:

It made a nice change from "There's only One Gareth Southgate" anyway :mad:

Edited by oafc_ok

Hyde United 0, Athletic 2

MANAGER Dave Penney may be creating a new-look Athletic team, but it was two survivors from last season who secured last night’s victory at Hyde United in their opening pre-season friendly.

Goals from Danny Whitaker and Lewis Alessandra earned Athletic a win at Blue Square North side Hyde which ought to have been far more emphatic than the scoreline suggests.

They were denied three times by the crossbar and, together with other openings, they could have triumphed by a far wider margin in what proved a satisfactory workout.

There will be far more rigorous challenges further down the line in pre-season, but there was little which could be faulted from this encouraging display.

The one irritating part of the night was the presence of un-named trialists in the Athletic line-up which turns reporting the facts of the match into a farce.

Surely if players, some of whom were foreign, appear in a competitive fixture in front of paying customers, the fans have a right to know who they are watching.

Apart from trialist keeper James Spencer, the former Stockport and Rochdale shot-stopper, Athletic fielded a completely different line-up in each half as new-boy Dean Brill was made to wait for his debut.

Spencer did not have a shot to save so it was almost impossible to evaluate him.

Penney’s line-up for the opening half was far stronger than the one used for the second period when Spencer and Will Haining were among five trialists used, the other three remaining anonymous.

You would imagine seven or eight members of the first-half side will be starting the season’s opening fixture against Stockport County.

Of the new players, Dean Furman caught the eye in the opening half as he relished the role of ball-playing midfielder. He sprays passes around with ease and was likened in style to former Latics favourite Neil Kilkenny.

New signings Joe Jacobson and Pawel Abbott also starred in the opening half, while Jon Worthington beefed up the midfield in the second period when Athletic fielded a far less experienced side.

Athletic opened the scoring in the 12th minute when Chris Taylor provided the assist for Whitaker to confidently cut back from his right to left foot before curling an exquisite shot into the top corner from outside the penalty area.

Abbott provided a delightful touch to create an opening for himself as he fired against a post when he ought to have been celebrating.

Athletic added a second goal shortly before half time when keeper Josh Ollerenshaw, who Athletic loaned to Hyde for the opening period, failed to gather a long punt forward and Alessandra had a relatively easy finish.

It was all change in the second period in which Athletic must still be wondering how they failed to increase their goal return.

First-year professional Chris Rowney, a midfield player in the Nick Henry/Mike Milligan mould, forced a decent save from Hyde keeper Michael Jones.

Athletic’s unknown giant trialist central defender, who is believed to be from London, saw a terrific shot strike the crossbar and at the death he was denied by a super stop by Jones.

Striker Chris O’Grady, back from the wilderness after three spells out on loan last season, also made an impact in the second period when he was denied by the crossbar, a fine save from Jones and a goalline clearance.

FIRST HALF (4-4-2): Spencer; Lomax, Hazell, Gregan, Jacobson; Smalley, Whitaker, Furman, Taylor; Abbott, Alessandra.

SECOND HALF (4-4-2): Spencer; Eardley (Trialist 68), Trialist, Haining, Black; Lee, Worthington, Rowney, Trialist; O’Grady, Wolfenden.

The one irritating part of the night was the presence of un-named trialists in the Athletic line-up which turns reporting the facts of the match into a farce.

Surely if players, some of whom were foreign, and all look the same to me appear in a competitive fixture in front of paying customers, the fans have a right to know who they are watching.

By Nick Griffin Tony Bugby

Surely if players, some of whom were foreign, and all look the same to me appear in a competitive fixture in front of paying customers, the fans have a right to know who they are watching. And I'll tell you what else, that Furman and Jacobson were always looking to pass to each other. Bernie Ecclestone would know what to make of that.

Quite shocking really, isn't it?

Surely if players, some of whom were foreign, and all look the same to me appear in a competitive fixture in front of paying customers, the fans have a right to know who they are watching. And I'll tell you what else, that Furman and Jacobson were always looking to pass to each other. Bernie Ecclestone would know what to make of that.

We're going to hell in a handcart. This country. Mutter... grumble... moan

I don’t see the secrecy as such a big deal, as you can be sure as anything that the agents will be shouting from the rooftops if they think it will help get their player a trial or a contract. No harm in making the other clubs work for their knowledge though.

I don't honestly see what Bugby's issue is with the anonymity of the trialists. The club must have dozens of players on trial over the course of the season who we never hear about. E.g. youngsters released from Premiership clubs etc. Maybe if he'd have bothered asking a few members of the crowd, he may have discovered the identities of these players, as quite a few posters on here seemed to have an idea who they were.

I don't honestly see what Bugby's issue is with the anonymity of the trialists. The club must have dozens of players on trial over the course of the season who we never hear about. E.g. youngsters released from Premiership clubs etc. Maybe if he'd have bothered asking a few members of the crowd, he may have discovered the identities of these players, as quite a few posters on here seemed to have an idea who they were.

Was he even there?