Ground Move

all this talk of moving down to the lancaster...what about ferney field by way of a compromise?? its away from the nimby a!£$es i don't think tryin to poach city fans away from eastlands will work Why would they would you go watch dale if we put our prices up a few quid...didn't think so!!

Simple really...because the owner refused to sell us the land!

I'm looking forward to another stadium plan.... it will be able to go on the shelf next to Ken Bates plans, Sport Park and the latest BP redevelopment.

Same cant do attitude, like most Oldhamers. This will go ahead, cos u know why????? We will be dead in 5 years if we dont..... Move on!!

all this talk of moving down to the lancaster...what about ferney field by way of a compromise?? its away from the nimby a!£$es i don't think tryin to poach city fans away from eastlands will work Why would they would you go watch dale if we put our prices up a few quid...didn't think so!!

Toni, dont u realise. Its all about time. There are loads of places, but how long will it take to get planning permission, roads, NYMByS, the nature police. The whole point with ferny fields was the traffic, hence why TTA had a clause to purchase the land if no problems came up, and guess what, there were problems. This site has obviously been earmarked by the council and will be fast tracked ready to build. Everyone including the fans, the council, TTA are fed up of hurdles, my hunch is there will be none with this site, as I would think there is a benifit to Oldham Council (AT BP) just a hunch!!! :shock: . So lets just get behind it and stop moaning! 3.7 miles - Is that too much to ask????? Its still in the Oldham Borough!!!!! Move on.

Has anyone considered the (Very likely) objections from the residents of Park St and The Fairway, who will certainly feel the development is too close? If they were to form a residents group against the proposals, then they would probably get the backing of those in the Mather St and Poplar St areas who will feel that they are losing their local nature reserve/community space/drug dealing spot.

Green areas like that are not usually given up without a fight, and residents' sympathies in those areas will not be as balanced as they were for Clayton, as there are fewer latics fans there. Added to that would be the two main arterial roads subjected to much heavier congestion on match days - a problem that the planners of the City of Manchester stadium have admitted they totally underestimated, and would now become a major factor in sanctioning any new stadium plan submissions.

I feel this could be a very long, arduous and expensive process, which we are several years away from completing. For the time being, let's just get behind the team and help push them into the Championship - that may broaden our options for a more suitable build.

Edit: Daznathe's less concise post regarding opposition landed a minute before my long drawn out bollocks!

Edited by outoftheblue

Has anyone considered the (Very likely) objections from the residents of Park St and The Fairway, who will certainly feel the development is too close? If they were to form a residents group against the proposals, then they would probably get the backing of those in the Mather St and Poplar St areas who will feel that they are losing their local nature reserve/community space/drug dealing spot.

Green areas like that are not usually given up without a fight, and residents' sympathies in those areas will not be as balanced as they were for Clayton, as there are fewer latics fans there. Added to that would be the two main arterial roads subjected to much heavier congestion on match days - a problem that the planners of the City of Manchester stadium have admitted they totally underestimated, and would now become a major factor in sanctioning any new stadium plan submissions.

I feel this could be a very long, arduous and expensive process, which we are several years away from completing. For the time being, let's just get behind the team and help push them into the Championship - that may broaden our options for a more suitable build.

Edit: Daznathe's less concise post regarding opposition landed a minute before my long drawn out bollocks!

ahh, the beauty of less being more! you are right though, i cant see how this plan isnt a thousand times more problematic. unless the council have already agreed to steamroller it through the planning process..

All these difficulties...I only hope they don't prove insurmountable. At least the recognition that the club is finished without a new stadium seems to be becoming more widespread.

How right were those who recognised as long ago as JW Lees' refusal to invest and refusal to sell up the road the club was embarking on?

Are we really geared up for the second-tier of English football with a three-sided ground with antiquated and rapidly deteriorating facilities? Even if we got there would it be sustainable?

And why would Championship football 'broaden the scope for a more suitable build?' Why would all the problems highlighted disappear just because the club would be playing in a different division?

Crikey Corp you are a prize moaner...you make Senor look like a blue coat at Pontins.

At least you are consistent..........

Instead of accusing me of moaning, tell me why these points shouldn't be raised.

Perhaps it would have been better if more of us had moaned over a decade ago, when it was already more than obvious that the club had embarked on the road to nowhere.

(Hey-that could be the new run-out music!)

Instead of accusing me of moaning, tell me why these points shouldn't be raised.

Perhaps it would have been better if more of us had moaned over a decade ago, when it was already more than obvious that the club had embarked on the road to nowhere.

Lots of "moaning" about Lees if you remember. And actual action to get the Lees family to sell up. People doing stuff and not just posturing on t'internet.

get over it corp for gods sake...what happened a decade ago is history..you cant have the time over again and im pretty sure the people at the time,if asked would have done things differently if they could have it again...

what happens in the future or present is more important..and you cant judge it until its happened....

try something new for a change eh..

get over it corp for gods sake...what happened a decade ago is history..you cant have the time over again and im pretty sure the people at the time,if asked would have done things differently if they could have it again...

what happens in the future or present is more important..and you cant judge it until its happened....

try something new for a change eh..

What happened a decade or more ago affects everything the club is trying to do now. Some of us could see back then that it was going to end in tears.

Ah well.

Lots of "moaning" about Lees if you remember. And actual action to get the Lees family to sell up. People doing stuff and not just posturing on t'internet.

I know.

But the difficulties the club is experiencing now are still linked to the mistakes made then, and the brewery's stubbornness.

As for 'doing something', nobody's going to advocate a campaign to oust TTA. So what else should we, the ordinary fans, be 'doing'?

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I know.

But the difficulties the club is experiencing now are still linked to the mistakes made then, and the brewery's stubbornness.

As for 'doing something', nobody's going to advocate a campaign to oust TTA. So what else should we, the ordinary fans, be 'doing'?

Interesting you ask for ideas and you always eschew offering them yourself, as is your prerogative.

We, the fans, probably led the Council to change its mind over planning permission for BP. And demonstrated the importance of the club to many citizens and others with the town's interests at heart. I would suggest that we continue to push the local authority to work positively with the club, work to influence opinion in favour of a new site, and also keep a "critical friend" view on what the Directors are doing. Trusting them but exercising diligence.

Interesting you ask for ideas and you always eschew offering them yourself, as is your prerogative.

We, the fans, probably led the Council to change its mind over planning permission for BP. And demonstrated the importance of the club to many citizens and others with the town's interests at heart. I would suggest that we continue to push the local authority to work positively with the club, work to influence opinion in favour of a new site, and also keep a "critical friend" view on what the Directors are doing. Trusting them but exercising diligence.

I'm not actually asking for ideas-it was a rhetorical question. It's already been proved that the fortunes of football clubs are largely out of the hands of the average fan.

I'm with you on the fans' influence on the planning permission, but it turns out that it was too late, doesn't it? We'd already been left behind due to past incompetence and lack of ambition.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

can never understand why we havent looked at the near empty retail park off park road turn the old warehouse into the hotel build the ground and parking next to it close to mumps tram stop ( move it to abetter location ie waterloo street ) also right next to apotential huge new audaince just a petrol bomb throw away ? waht could be better home and visiting supporters could fall out off the ground and kick the usual town centre shenangins off a few hours earlier ?

What happened a decade or more ago affects everything the club is trying to do now. Some of us could see back then that it was going to end in tears.

Ah well.

why does it....to all intents and purposes it is a new club with a slight alteration to the name...had new owners for 6 years..so what went before has gone.like i said.

everybody knew back then it would all end in tears because they sold the jewels and brought in cheap inferior players to milk it dry in the premier ship greedy league...but the ride was pretty good...

like i said,get over it.its history

why does it....to all intents and purposes it is a new club with a slight alteration to the name...had new owners for 6 years..so what went before has gone.like i said.

I'd say to all intents and purposes it is the same club. Technically it is a new club. :wink:

Fact is if any degree of nous was shown during the period the Corp refers to we would never have even heard of TTA...they wouldn't have been able to afford us.

:(

Are we really geared up for the second-tier of English football with a three-sided ground with antiquated and rapidly deteriorating facilities? Even if we got there would it be sustainable?

No, we're not. Whilst we have little hope of significantly changing anything other than our league status at the moment, then the best we can hope for is 10000+ gates every other week in the Championship in 2010/11, and a renewed interest in our local team from the ex-regulars. That would at least be a platform to build on.

And why would Championship football 'broaden the scope for a more suitable build?' Why would all the problems highlighted disappear just because the club would be playing in a different division?

Revenue, for a start. The ambitious plans to redevelop BP have been canned for financial reasons - it is not currently a viable option. A Championship side brings more support, and is more attractive to investors. This in turn allows a club to employ more staff in the marketing department, which creates further revenue.

I agree with your argument that we failed to act when we were free-falling, and now I think it's time to build on what little solid foundation we have left, and start speculating a little.

We're not moving anywhere for some time yet, and if the plan is indeed to build a new stadium, then contingencies must be set aside for both further demise, and also success. We already have the ambitious plans in place for BP - let's hope that success brings the opportunity to implement them.

I'd say to all intents and purposes it is the same club. Technically it is a new club. :wink:

Fact is if any degree of nous was shown during the period the Corp refers to we would never have even heard of TTA...they wouldn't have been able to afford us.

:(

and that fact has been aknowleged.....just getting tiring now repeating the same old story over and over again..time to move on.

everybody knew back then it would all end in tears because they sold the jewels and brought in cheap inferior players to milk it dry in the premier ship greedy league...but the ride was pretty good...

like i said,get over it.its history

So the 'new club' has nothing to do with the 'old club?'

As we are seeing, we can't get over it, as mistakes and incompetence then landed us in the mire we're in now.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

So the 'new club' has nothing to do with the 'old club?'

As we are seeing, we can't get over it, as mistakes and incompetence then landed us in the mire we're in now.

It's the same club, but a different company. If it was a different club it would have had to start at the bottom of the FA pyramid, unless the FA were conned by Gollum's ugly brother to let him move it 60 miles and take another club's place.