What type of striker do we need?

Like it, what about the old blanket over the head stick him in the boot and lock him in Alan and Gordon's torture chamber until he agrees a deal?

yeah haha!! agree he wldnt come here tho! wouldnt mind rene howe,joe garner,mifsud,feeney any off those im happy or anyone who will score

What are people's thoughts on the kind of striker we need?

An older experienced striker or a younger pacier direct striker?

Personally, somebody like Jonathan Forte from Scunthorpe would be an Interesting possibility - scored a few at Doncaster - maybe when Penney was manager there - and scored a fair few on loan at Notts County last season.

If you think that Notts County had John Thompson playing centre mid, the service can't have been that great to him yet he still scored regularly??

Still got a year left on his contract though so would probably be too expensive come to think of it.

This might sound really stupid but what about one that scores goals? Just a thought like.

matt jansen

seth johnson

david thompson

moses ashkodi

michael bridges

henri camara LOL

david connelly

carl cort

rene howe

leon mckenzie

michael mifsud

vincent pericard

james scowcroft

Leroy Lita

yes im bloody bored

He was picked out as not a bad shout on here from a list of Prem players who were out of contract that someone posted up.

Wages would be a stumbling block i feel; but has scored wherever he's played; be it in Ireland, England or Holland. Not a bad shout - but i don't see it happening.

If im honest; i think DP will dip into the loan market for a youngster sooner rather than later; if not i see Abbott & COG starting up top - Lewis has big time dropped down the pecking order now!

I think we have enough strikers numbers-wise, but I think we are one short quality-wise. Wolfenden will go mid-season I think, and it is down to Alessandra to go out on loan to prove he wants it enough...

Once we have that space in the squad then I'd like to see either a youngster with pace brought in on loan from a Premier League club, or possibly a left-field choice like Carl Cort (mentioned below). If we could find a player like that who still wanted it enough then it could be a great signing. They'd need to be rotated for fitness, which allows everyone a game (I want to see O'Grady given a chance, Brooke could do with a few and even move Smalley up top to give Lee a run on the right), and they could add real higher level quality when they play.

Alessandra and Smalley need to prove a lot this year though... Not impressed by attitudes last year.

Yes release Alice as he is a young lad in his break-in season and hasn't scored twenty goals. Give me a break. Release him my arse.

I'm not saying he should be a first teamer, but he will make a decent reserve whilst he learns his trade. The stick he is getting of recent is poor for me. Try giving him a chance (a few YEARS).

As for the striker we should get in, someone to work with Pawel would be a Warne type. He joined Blackpool, but something similar to Clarke would be ideal really.

If he can reproduce his debut across the season, step forward Mr R. Brooke, the (already) forgotten child of BP

I'd hope that the expectation will not be put on him, like it has Alice for some reason.

But it will.

In fact, the more he doesnt play, the more it will.

Some good strikers mentioned out of contract Mifsud etc.. Would like to see O'Grady do well this season but can't see him getting 15-20 goals we need from him.

Lets hope Abbott can keep fit and hit 20 we know he can do it 27 for Hudds a few seasons ago

Lewi to have 6 months out on loan see what he can do can't see Wolfy getting a contract and Brooke will have a season in reserves maybe the odd appearance..

Probably see a young Prem striker arriving maybe the lad mentioned from Blackburn or the lad Nile Ranger at Newcastle rated very highly

A quick young striker who does not mess about when in and around the penalty area and shoots on sight.

Someone like Steve Taylor who Latics brought in many years ago from Bolton reserves, he certainly knew his way to goal, anyone remember him ?

So in comparison I would be looking for a similar style of player who hasn't broken through to the first team with a Championship club, but has scored plenty for their reserves - he would cost a fee similar to Furman, any suggestions as to who might fit the bill?

A quick young striker who does not mess about when in and around the penalty area and shoots on sight.

Someone like Steve Taylor who Latics brought in many years ago from Bolton reserves, he certainly knew his way to goal, anyone remember him ?

So in comparison I would be looking for a similar style of player who hasn't broken through to the first team with a Championship club, but has scored plenty for their reserves - he would cost a fee similar to Furman, any suggestions as to who might fit the bill?

Aye Steve Taylor was a good sniffer for goal, however I do recall him playing plenty times for Bolton. Even against Latics or have the mists of time clouded my memories.

Edited by Lags

Aye Steve Taylor was a good sniffer for goal, however I do recall him playing plenty times for Bolton. Even against Latics or have the mists of time clouded my memories.

He wasn't a regular in the Bolton first team Lags and was languishing in their reserves at the time Latics signed him.

I remember his debut for Latics running on to a ball about 20 yards out and lashing it into the net without hesitation.

He was very sharp and that's what Latics need now.

Be tough to get him, but Jay Rodriguez at Burnley fits the bill perfectly. Would be reliant on them strengthening their forward line by a lot, otherwise he will get plenty of premiership appearances this season. Also their Albanian international Besart Berisha is looking at a loan deal with a 2nd div German side. He ripped England B to bits at turf moor 3 years ago, maybe worth a look, can play striker or out wide.