Fleming makes great saves no denying that, he likes chopping down opposition players down too in the box and give away loads of penalties.

Which is something we could have worked on. After all look at the two Charlie's he had playing in front of him. Communication is hardly a strong point of the pair.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but come on we all know the problem last year was midfield and creating chances. its all opinions but midfield the key to a decent performance, Furman sounded ok.
our problems this year will come from our centre half's and goalkeeper

Name one striker who formed a decent partnership with Hughes? Byfield got a lot of stick last season but when he was in the team we were UNDEFEATED and Hughes scored a fair few mainly down to the movement of byfield dragging defenders out wide.

Not being funny Lee you say Parker s***s all over Byfield but Parker has only scored 2 goals in 2 years, now if its down to just scoring then i can't see where your coming from.

I thought he did well tonight by the way.

Hughes got 6 in 8 games with Byfield 4 wins 4 draws.

So although he wasn't making any headlines we were doing pretty well with him.

I wouldn't mind him coming in as he puts miles more effort in than Lewi does and reads the game a lot better than O'Grady does.

I dont think Lewis or COG are in the same bracket as Byfield, look at their respective careers. Lewis and COG havent had ones yet and are looking like they probably wont while Byfield has. I dont think Byfield was that bad last time and I am sure he could have a lot to offer. It wasnt long ago he was doing well in the Championship at Bristol. I think we are sometimes too quick to judge unfit loan strikers at Latics. Remember Adeboela he's done alright for himself since being labelled the worst striker ever a few years ago.

I say give Byfield a chance, it might not work, but he has at least proven he can do it, which some of our strikers have yet to do.

I dont think Lewis or COG are in the same bracket as Byfield, look at their respective careers. Lewis and COG havent had ones yet and are looking like they probably wont while Byfield has. I dont think Byfield was that bad last time and I am sure he could have a lot to offer. It wasnt long ago he was doing well in the Championship at Bristol. I think we are sometimes too quick to judge unfit loan strikers at Latics. Remember Adeboela he's done alright for himself since being labelled the worst striker ever a few years ago.

I say give Byfield a chance, it might not work, but he has at least proven he can do it, which some of our strikers have yet to do.

did very well tonight. Get him PROPERLY fit and with our decent midfield him and Abbott would do ok, he wont have just taylor to run with him this season, we have legs and not wagging fingers and lumbering centre mid's (maher, allott)

Abbott did very well, really nice touches and the interplay for taylors' goal was superb and a great finish.

Parkers' as well, what a beauty!!

Problems for me this year are CB (Hazell) and possibly the GK position although perpared to give Brill benefit of the doubt with it being pre season.

All the new players looked decent, Furman superb. Had to laugh at to guys coming out of the ground 'we still need a playmaker' er hello did you not see Furman play tonight then lads??!!

Oh and Lee as for 'i'd pick COG and Lewi over Byfield any day' get real mate. Lewi is too weak and doesnt work hard enough, COG has the build but the ability of a chocolate fire guard.

If they arent up to the business they will be shipped on by DP, no room for sentiment, he will be us a proper squad given time, no room for the nearly men with DP around.

I expect to see Hazell, COG Lewi, Lee and Whitaker shipped on in the near future.

All in all though looked very pleasing, not sure where we will finish but what i do know is that the team will be organised and give 100% effort which DP demands, thats ok by me.

If Darren Byfield plays the same against Blackpool on Saturday as he did tonight, Dave Penney will offer him a contract.

He looked an awful lot fitter than last season and more importantly, he looked better than our back-up strikers.

If Darren Byfield plays the same against Blackpool on Saturday as he did tonight, Dave Penney will offer him a contract.

He looked an awful lot fitter than last season and more importantly, he looked better than our back-up strikers.

yeah be a ok sub for last 5 mins after were winning 5-0 and we need someone to chase the ball

Rubes...gone down hill since signing contract, remember article on how happy he was felt at home, tea ladies, friendly etc. BUT hes put on his pipe and slippers massive threat to his position when we bring in another CH or the young lads settle.

I thought Rubes did really well last night !