I am hoping this is not true he trainning with us because his spell at oldham was so bad.Darren Byfield is a very lazy player cant understand why DP

Wants to look at him for he had his chance to get a deal at oldham last season but failed.I like to say if oldham signed him up again i shall not be happy because we will get the same thing from him am not happy with the plan like others have agreed.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good player who's spell with us didn't do him justice.

Wouldn't mind him being signed at all.

I agree......perhaps Penney will be able to get the best out of him.

When he was here last the club was fading fast and Shez didn't know his arse from his elbow!!!!

I didn;t think Byfield was too bad, just looked unfit to me.

In his 8 games that he played, we won 4, drew 4 and lost 0. He scored once and Lee Hughes scored 6 goals in those games. Pretty good partnership really.

He left and we signed Windass and as we know from that point on we played like a pub team. A fit Darren Byfield would be an asset to any squad in thsi division.

I agree though that we need to sign a centre half desperately.

Byfield was a good loan signing for us, linked up well with Hughes upfront and we were playing well in the league with him. More goals were expected but he played well within the team, took the pressure off Hughes a bit.

If he signed up I'd be happy enough, he's no Ormerod, Kabba, Windass!

I'd have a FIT Byfield. And that's the keyword. He was nowhere near fit last time around and Penney would no doubt get the best of him. Anyone got thoughts on Abbot & Byfield up front with Parker wide right? He likes to drift out there, has pace and can cross a ball.

i love it when ppl say players are awful and s***, let all remind are selfs are we pros at football??? :grin:

Not a pro but watched enough to form a judgement. Do we know Byfield was unfit last time around? it would seem I am in the minority here so most saw something I didn't, but he was very very ordinary here on loan. I don't recall much out cry on here when he was allowed to leave that's for sure!

No matter how crap he was on loan last season, none of our loanees worked out but were all proven at higher levels.

I think we should snap him up and if nothing else, he'll push Parker and Abbott for a first-team place...

I do think things would be different if he was an actual Oldham player and I think Penney would get the best out of a player like Byfield.

Just out of interest...was Byfield at Doncaster when Penney was?

I'm pretty sure Penney had left by the time Byfield had arrived. Noticed that the young lad we had on loan from Sheff United Robertson (? )scored 2x at the weekend. Think he might be out of our bracket now and Swindon fans seem to think they are after Billy Sharp which would amaze me.

Edited by astottie

Latics' record with on-loan strikers is shocking....Ormerod after leaving us went on to become a permanent fixture for Blackpool in the Championship and scored regularly.

Personally I think it shows the lack of service Oldham's strikers receive..hence why Lee Hughes used to try and do it all himself!

The Byfield record of 4wins 4 draws can't be knocked. Byfield was the best of the loan strikers last season.

Don't forget he is Reuben's best mate.......he maybe the catalyst for Hazell to play consistently well....DP is killing 2 birds with 1 stone !!

Still need another centre half....if DP doesn't think the AFC Liverpool kid is for the immediate.

Heres a radical idea

How about you wait untill he signs, IF (and big if) he actually does sign

Before he is made next seasons targetboy

I wouldnt make him a target boy.

I never liked Windass but gave him a chance. I never believe in booing anyone who pulls on the blue shirt

No matter how crap he was on loan last season, none of our loanees worked out but were all proven at higher levels.

I think we should snap him up and if nothing else, he'll push Parker and Abbott for a first-team place...

I do think things would be different if he was an actual Oldham player and I think Penney would get the best out of a player like Byfield.

Just out of interest...was Byfield at Doncaster when Penney was?

cant judge yet, its a different manager so can get different results out of players

Darren Byfield will be playing on wednesday but penney will take his time over Darren Byfield who was trainning with us today but looks in a great health

but needs the games.Darren Byfield would act as a cover if we signed him up lets hope its not on a 2 year deal the guy last spell was so bad i never fainted lol.

Most of the fans dont want him back but we cant stop penney eh he said players needs a second chance to get back in to football when i saw penney today at the club shop in the morning Darren Byfield was trainning in morning on the little wembley before he set off to chapel road.