• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did look poor in his loan spell but then Hughes wasn't the greatest strike partner to have.

Agree, for all his hero worship he couldn't play with Ricketts, Davies, Wolfy, Ormerod, Windass, Smalley etc...

He linked well to a certain extent with Lewi for a short-period but perhaps for all his goals the problem was Hughes?

I'm going to be putting together a piece on Latics striking partnerships and whilst Hughes was here we didn't have that. In fact the last true striking partnership we had was Warne and Porter. I hope Pav and Parker prove to be a revelation.

Edited by oafcprozac

I'm going to be putting together a piece on Latics striking partnerships and whilst Hughes was here we didn't have that. In fact the last true striking partnership we had was Warne and Porter. I hope Pav and Parker prove to be a revelation.

I think it's slightly unfair to say it was slaphead's fault. Davies worked well* with him in the 07-08 season before they both got crocked. I think Byfield did OK for a couple of games with him but the rest who came in were desperation signings, with the aim of getting the wheels back on, but failing miserably.

I just can't get enthusiastic about Byfield coming to us, no matter how hard I try. I just think he's the wrong type of striker that we need, and not someone with height and presence in the box. Looking at the current players, in any combination we don't look threatening on set pieces and I can see this being a bit of a problem next season.

* Worked well as in both had a decent goal input when they played together. It wasn't the dream pairing by any stretch, but it worked.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

I really don’t think we saw the real Byfield in his loan spell with us; afterall it was only the season before he’d torn it up for Bristol City……

I think a number of contributory factors were at play as to why he just didn’t fire as expected;

1.) We weren’t in the best of form when he came in – we’d just lost to a really poor Cheltenham side at BP on a cold Tuesday night IIRC when Byfirld arrived?

2.) Our midfield was misfiring (and that’s me being nice!) – we had no creativity at all coming from the centre of the pitch, clever through balls and the like just weren’t happening; the service the strikers got was big punts from the CB’s or Eardleys balls down the line pushing them out to the right flank. He was expected to pick up scraps & work with those. Tough to do when you’re in form & firing, even tougher when you’re not!

3.) Byfield wasn’t the only loan striker or contracted Latics striker to struggle with Lee Hughes along side them. Whilst I enjoyed having him here for the most part, Hughesy was far from the Messiah he is sometimes made out to be on here – it can’t just be coincidence that at least 7 strikers played with him & all failed to form any sort of partnership with him. He was very much an ‘out for himself’ type striker & would rarely look for a pass to a striker partner; this in turn cuts down even more the amount of actual chances on goal Byfield had to score.

4.) Shez; this is no way a slag Shez off point; but I feel we were well & truly into the ‘lost dressing room’ phase of his tenure when Byfield arrived. That has to breed a lack of confidence in the manager’s role & input for a player coming fresh into the club.

5.) Byfields own lack of match sharpness, fitness & confidence – he’d not played much at all prior to arriving, and its very hard to do your fitness work during actual game time. Ironically, I thought by the time he went back he was just starting to look like he was starting to get the ½ yard of extra pace back.

We’ve had far, far worse at the club than Darren Byfield…..far worse even last season with the other loan “strikers” alone.

A fit & correctly motivated Byfield would be an asset to any L1 club. I am all for DP running the rule over him & seeing if he likes what he sees. As to whether a deal is on the cards; I’ve no idea – but I would be far from disappointed if one was tabled to Darren Byfield

I think he would be a good signing. He was no where near fully fit last season as can be seen by the stats of him coming off usually around the hour mark in games. Generally he was good for 45-50 minutes then tailed off as he just wasn't match fit. I was disappointed when we let him go back as he was just starting to get some kind of fitness and looking more dangerous around goal.

I'd take a gamble on him, when fit I think he could do a good job playing off the last defender if he gets his pace back.

Even if not a first choice, coming on for last 15-20 mins against a tired defence would be another option for DP

We've seen far worse strikers at BP than Darren Byfield and it will be interesting to see his form against 'Boro and 'Pool.

I wasn't expecting us to pick up another striker, so anyone would be a bonus.

Edited by JohnnyPimp

Before anyone sticks the boot in re Byfield. Happen to know he thought he let himself down on loan as couldnt get match fit quick enough as been out so long. BUT rated everyone he met at latics highly as being a good club, positive in all respects so just if he signs up give him a fair chance as he aint slagged off anyone in Oldham...Dont know about Failsworth?

Hmmm................

Id much rather have Byfield than Alessandra, so good thing in my eyes.

Still think we are a bit light on numbers up top. Would be happy with Abbott, Parker, Byfield, O'Grady, Brooke, Alessandra. Make the young lads prove they have got what it takes!

Id much rather have Byfield than Alessandra, so good thing in my eyes.

Still think we are a bit light on numbers up top. Would be happy with Abbott, Parker, Byfield, O'Grady, Brooke, Alessandra. Make the young lads prove they have got what it takes!

he wasnt really fit last time,and was over weight as well...but by all accounts has done a greagan n got himself into shape over the summer...has good potential and is good at holding players off,something ogrady cant do.

be intersting to see,if he costs us nothing then its a bonus....would much rather see an experienced keeper arrive though if im honest.

he wasnt really fit last time,and was over weight as well...but by all accounts has done a greagan n got himself into shape over the summer...has good potential and is good at holding players off,something ogrady cant do.

be intersting to see,if he costs us nothing then its a bonus....would much rather see an experienced keeper arrive though if im honest.

From what I've seen so far Ed, that's something we definitely need. I've got a horrible feeling we've signed Chris Day MK II I truly hope he proves me wrong...

From what I've seen so far Ed, that's something we definitely need. I've got a horrible feeling we've signed Chris Day MK II I truly hope he proves me wrong...

aye..im not saying he isnt up to it.but from what i have seen n heard...he lacks in something..flemming had his knockers,but he did make some decent saves and was a lot more mobile than crossley....just think his confidence got shattered with the way we played last season.

think we could do with someone like carlo nash or mike pollitt..there just kicking bricks round in the vain hope of getting games...alos roy carrol,apparently not wanted by clough junior.

aye..im not saying he isnt up to it.but from what i have seen n heard...he lacks in something..flemming had his knockers,but he did make some decent saves and was a lot more mobile than crossley....just think his confidence got shattered with the way we played last season.

think we could do with someone like carlo nash or mike pollitt..there just kicking bricks round in the vain hope of getting games...alos roy carrol,apparently not wanted by clough junior.

he's conceded 5 goals, two at his near post at Halifax when he failed to move for either and although Rubes was at fault for the goals on Saturday, surely he could have stayed on his feet instead of lying down???? I'll be watching him with interest tonight and Saturday, but young Greg impressed everyone in pre-season last year and didn't do a lot wrong in his league apperances except for his hot-headedness which can be attrbuted to the exuberance of youth. anyhow we'll see...

he's conceded 5 goals, two at his near post at Halifax when he failed to move for either and although Rubes was at fault for the goals on Saturday, surely he could have stayed on his feet instead of lying down???? I'll be watching him with interest tonight and Saturday, but young Greg impressed everyone in pre-season last year and didn't do a lot wrong in his league apperances except for his hot-headedness which can be attrbuted to the exuberance of youth. anyhow we'll see...

Fleming made an incredible double save in one of the friendlies last season at BP. He should have been given the shirt immediately after that.

Fleming made an incredible double save in one of the friendlies last season at BP. He should have been given the shirt immediately after that.

Against Hull, I think he deserved more of a chance this season to fight it out with Brill though, who is immediately on 'easy street' and guaranteed to start no matter what.

Against Hull, I think he deserved more of a chance this season to fight it out with Brill though, who is immediately on 'easy street' and guaranteed to start no matter what.

That "battle" for the number one spot didn't last that long really did it! Shame for us. Would have backed Fleming myself and continued to work on his talents.

As for Byfield. We'll see.

Fleming makes great saves no denying that, he likes chopping down opposition players down too in the box and give away loads of penalties.