Club mightily pissed off at the Chron AGAIN!

Both of the articles that have been put on the front page of the chron re this project have been negative, unsupportive of the club and generated nothing but bad publicity.

Safe to say that I dont think we can count on any support from the Oldham Chronicle

Guest Scratch2000uk

With columns in the chron called the Chronicle Comment "The voice of Oldham", what do you expect?? :unsure:

I wonder, if all Latics fans start boycoting buying the garbage they would put that on their front page.. :ranting:

Edited by Scratch2000uk

Protest outside the Chron's offices? Might make them think again about what they put?

It'd be a waste of time.

They would somehow find a way to put a different slant on it, in the vein of a 'Football Yobbos Terrify Oldham Chronicle Staff!' shock headline.

Lazy, sensationalist, two-bit, good-for-nothing, unsupportive journalism, in a pathetic attempt to big themselves up by representing 'the man in the street' and being the 'voice of the people'.

Tabloid rubbish that's not worth hanging on the string in the outside toilet!

Why doesn't the club make more use of the Advertiser and local radio?

Very good point CJ, certainly the Advertiser. It would seem that the Advertiser is at least able of putting both sides of the case across.

I think the club do have decent links with GMR as well, they seem to be happy to talk to us on their various sports shows etc.

Why do the Chron have to support everything the club does?

Seems to me we got a positive piece at the start of the week and a negative today. I think its pretty petty the club keep crying about it like this. If you have something to say ring the chron and try and get a balancing piece in tomorrows, don't moan on your website.

If these people are pissed off about being moved then the Chron are right to air their views if they think it will sell papers.

I cannot get my head around the Chron. One day the sports editor says the stadium is a good thing, the next day it's all over the front pages again that the club's plans are bad for Oldham.

I don't live in Oldham so correct me if I'm wrong, but this development would surely move the town on a million miles. Does the paper want the town to be left in the dark ages ?

One note that did make me laugh, it was reported that one of the allotment owners has just spent £1000 on a new shed. Really they saw you coming didn't they...... !!

I note the article mentions Oldham Council's Regeneration team - I know of a bloke who's a big latics fan and works in that department and I'll bet he reads/posts here. His initials are FL....I wonder if he may come forward? It would be good to hear his views.

Am I missing something here? Don't see much wrong with the chron's article. Yeah it's pro allotment users but nothing in the article is incorrect as far as I can see. We contacted them on the 14th July and we haven't contacted them since yesterday after the chron got intouch with the council.

I'm guessing there is not much to discuss at the moment with the plans because there aren't any and the allotment holders are being impatient.

Doesn't say what promises are said to have been broken by latics and the council but thats a quote, should have perhaps gone further to find out what these promises were. The article also says that the club will offer a compensation package and the council have said they will be working to find a satisfactory solution to it all.

I don't understand the fuss from the club here?

Am I missing something here? Don't see much wrong with the chron's article. Yeah it's pro allotment users but nothing in the article is incorrect as far as I can see. We contacted them on the 14th July and we haven't contacted them since yesterday after the chron got intouch with the council.

I'm guessing there is not much to discuss at the moment with the plans because there aren't any and the allotment holders are being impatient.

Doesn't say what promises are said to have been broken by latics and the council but thats a quote, should have perhaps gone further to find out what these promises were. The article also says that the club will offer a compensation package and the council have said they will be working to find a satisfactory solution to it all.

I don't understand the fuss from the club here?

Two headlines re the failsworth move that have made the front page, both negative, both unsupportive of the move, both not showing the full story.

I give you latics new local rag, the MEN/Advertiser

Two headlines re the failsworth move that have made the front page, both negative, both unsupportive of the move, both not showing the full story.

There's definately been that, I thought the chron have shown some support to the idea as well? I've not really took much notice of the chron for a while but I'm guessing any support hasn't been front-page news.

The MEN/Advertiser have been balanced in their coverage from what I've seen so far. MEN's first reporting of the scheme was very good!

Both stories have been covering scare stories that were substantively dealt with by the press release and which the Chron know about - small local club to be made homeless, and alloments to be concreted over. They have a responsibility to report in a balanced way, yet don't even seem to have read a press release issued to them?

Ironically, Oldham RLFC, welll one half of it at elast is also pretty irate wit hthe chron, and also frustrated that only part of a PRess RELases is given.

Rugby Oldham a bit miffed too

They will probably argue that given the have hacked off botth the Rugby and the football, they must have the right blaance.

Rather than their journalists would be better suited entering display ads

The M.E.N. wrote a story stating that latics supporters sang racist songs at the Masters without a verified source, whereas the Chron did not. Where was the protestation from the club to defend its good name then? The club is looking a bit pathetic throwing its teddy out of the cot every time it doesn't get its own way with the Chron and this ground move.

The M.E.N. wrote a story stating that latics supporters sang racist songs at the Masters without a verified source, whereas the Chron did not. Where was the protestation from the club to defend its good name then? The club is looking a bit pathetic throwing its teddy out of the cot every time it doesn't get its own way with the Chron and this ground move.

the club asked the chron to join in,they accepted in some capacity be it a bit of sponsership etc...

the club ask the chron to print articles how they want them to be read and how the club want the wider community to understand there actions etc.

its already been reported that both failsworth dynamos and the allotment holders are more than happy with the new proposal,dynamos dont have to pay to develop and the allotments are getting cash,and 6 extra allotments in the deal....and they were happy.

now the chron is publishing a story amounting to the allotment holders not being happy and its now a david and goliath fight...

this is being done in the vain hope the chron will shift some extra copies...

if i was the club,id cancel its sponsership deal and ban it from bp,and go to a different news paper group who are willing to work alongside the club,its fans,and print accurate stories and facts.